Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump noisy on long drives

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump noisy on long drives

Well, after drivin to the dragstrip which is about an hour away , and i do some rough driving to get there , my fuel pump will begin to whine. It's pretty annoying and even letting the car rest for about 45 min, it still is noisey. I do not think the amount of gas mattered in these situations because it does it no matter how full or empty. Mabye its just a GM thing, because my parents suburban does it too... hm?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

My stock pump made a loud hissing noise on long, extended drives in hot weather. The GM full size SUV's seem to suffer from bad fuel pumps as much as the 99-05 Grand Ams. It seems if you run with low fuel (next to E) even once, it damages the pump pernamently.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you think i damaged it by low fuel, thats probably true... never thought of that. A damaged fuel pump would not affect my mpg would it?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackTA98 LS1
So you think i damaged it by low fuel, thats probably true... never thought of that. A damaged fuel pump would not affect my mpg would it?
If done repeatedly, then yes. Generally though, fuel pumps just go out.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

its VERY bad to let your car run out of gas....all the sediments from the bottom of the tank go right to the pump...
Old 03-16-2006, 04:47 AM
TECH Junkie

My camaro pump whined like a little bitch. Pulled the pump and the sock from the bottom of the pump assembly was almost completely plugged, cleaned and solved the problem. Usually when a pump whines it is a restriction or it is about to completely die on ya....
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this the other day for the first time and now it doesn't do it anymore. Is there anything I can buy (solvents or whatever) to put in the gas to help the potential problem?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car made a very loud whine everytime I drove it over about an hour straight when it was my daily driver (years ago). It stopped making the noise cause I never really drive it for more than an hour straight anymore. The pump still worked fine for another 2+ years until I replaced it this past weekend. I had plenty of dyno runs and fuel pressure was fine. The only reason I ended up replacing it was because I didnt want to have to worry about the stock fuel pump and having a cam/bolt on car + a wet shot.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to know. I really didn't want to mess with the fuel system until I get my supercharger, if I get it haha.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777
Mine did this the other day for the first time and now it doesn't do it anymore. Is there anything I can buy (solvents or whatever) to put in the gas to help the potential problem?
I've always used Gumout Regane...looks like pee and costs about $4 but sometimes you can get it free after rebate. My Honda had some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons. After running a tank of this stuff my pistons were shiny and my valves were as well. If it took care of that, I'm sure it would help out with any kind of deposits in the fuel system. On the other hand, my pump whines sometimes and I've run some Regane through the system once so far. For $4 though, it's worth a try.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump noisy on long drives