Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

fuel filter micron rating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel filter micron rating?

Is it better to have a higher micron rating on the fuel filter? I am going to be replacing the stock fuel filter and have seen several filters with rating ranging from 10-100 microns. This is going into a pump gas car but will need to be able to flow enough for 800rwhp. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

The higher the number the larger the particles it will allow to pass. Also the higher the number the less restrictive its going to be.

To handle HP you need to look at lb/hr or gal/hr ratings...

Multiply injector lb/hr rating by 8 = total lb/hr the filter should flow. If the filter is rated in gallons per hour, divide your total lb/hr rating by 6 and you have gal/hr.

Hope that helps
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

I thought a gallon weighed 7 pounds?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good question. I've been looking at finding a definite answer for for the proper inline filter when using intank pumps.

I've found the answers plenty of times for an inline pump with a pre/post filters.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keys2myMARO
I thought a gallon weighed 7 pounds?
The actual weight depends on the gas itself and where in the country you get it. 6lbs is a pretty well accepted average.

Here in SW FL, the 93 octane I get weighs 6.2lbs per gallon and the 100 octane unleaded is heavier (just cant remember the actual weight)...

Ive seen weighed gallons from people up north who have weighed their 91 octane at over 7lbs... So if you want to be exact, get a precisely measured gallon of your preffered gas into a container and weigh it. Then of course weigh the container empty and subtract that from your total.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fire67
The higher the number the larger the particles it will allow to pass. Also the higher the number the less restrictive its going to be.

To handle HP you need to look at lb/hr or gal/hr ratings...

Multiply injector lb/hr rating by 8 = total lb/hr the filter should flow. If the filter is rated in gallons per hour, divide your total lb/hr rating by 6 and you have gal/hr.

Hope that helps
so how do you find lb/hr for svo 42's with our psi ratings for fuel pressure. I found the svo are rated at 40psi of fuel pressure.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

We use a MagnaFuel 25 after filter for this. Let me know I can get you one.

Nate
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nate, do you find a 10 micron is too restrictive...or do you use the 25 only because Magnafuel only sells that vs a 10 micron filter?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

I have used 10 before Weldons are 10 as well it does not really matter the # but the size of the element as how much it can flow. Really depends on the filter.

Nate
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
so how do you find lb/hr for svo 42's with our psi ratings for fuel pressure. I found the svo are rated at 40psi of fuel pressure.
Do you know the formula? I cant remember the formula off the top of my head and do not have it at my office. I cant remember if the formula uses actual weight data, but if it does, using 6 will get you close. AFAIK, injector companies check flow with a solvent, not gasoline... And AFAIK, the solvent also weighs 6lbs.

Ive never seen or heard of anyone using 6lbs as a weight number have problems, especially since you want more flow than neccessary rather than just enough.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
I have used 10 before Weldons are 10 as well it does not really matter the # but the size of the element as how much it can flow. Really depends on the filter.

Nate
Size of the element meaning Sq. Inches of element surface area. Thats what determines what a given micron filter will flow.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fire67
Do you know the formula? I cant remember the formula off the top of my head and do not have it at my office. I cant remember if the formula uses actual weight data, but if it does, using 6 will get you close. AFAIK, injector companies check flow with a solvent, not gasoline... And AFAIK, the solvent also weighs 6lbs.

Ive never seen or heard of anyone using 6lbs as a weight number have problems, especially since you want more flow than neccessary rather than just enough.
I did a search to find that the svo injectors were rated 42 at 40 psi. so I am not sure what they would actually be rated with our fuel pressure.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
I did a search to find that the svo injectors were rated 42 at 40 psi. so I am not sure what they would actually be rated with our fuel pressure.
There's a formula for figuring this floating around the net. But Im going home for lunch so I can grab my notebook and post it up when I get back...

I would think that this formula is in the stickies somewhere though.

Quick Reply: fuel filter micron rating?