Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my posi shot?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my posi shot?

I have a stock 2002 SS, M6 with 24K miles, And I went to the track for the first time last week. I had some sad 60' times (2.16-2.19 with Nitto D/R'S). so I am washing the car tonight and there is lot's of rubber (from the burnouts) on the pass side. (I am thinking cool!) so I get to the driver's side and almost nothing? are my cluthes shot? Whats the deal? she acts like a fU%*ING PEG LEG.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Could be, but the tires could have different pressure in them, the track might have been different in prep on the left/right sides, etc..
Could be a million different things explaining different amounts of rubber on the sides of the car.

Do a quick burnout somewhere where you can see the marks.
One mark = Fekked posi
Two marks = Your good to go

Simple, and fun, test.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
I have a stock 2002 SS, M6 with 24K miles, And I went to the track for the first time last week. I had some sad 60' times (2.16-2.19 with Nitto D/R'S). so I am washing the car tonight and there is lot's of rubber (from the burnouts) on the pass side. (I am thinking cool!) so I get to the driver's side and almost nothing? are my cluthes shot? Whats the deal? she acts like a fU%*ING PEG LEG.
Since you didn't mention it I'm assuming you have the stock diff, which is a Torsen.
If you can understand the pic attached, it delivers more torque to the wheel with the most traction (slower spinning) the wheel with less traction gets the rest. Say 80% to the slow turning wheel with traction and 20% to the high spinning wheel without traction.

If a torsen isn't broken physically it's still working fine, and the rubber on your wheel wells was due to something else, track prep, etc.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Since you didn't mention it I'm assuming you have the stock diff, which is a Torsen.
If you can understand the pic attached, it delivers more torque to the wheel with the most traction (slower spinning) the wheel with less traction gets the rest. Say 80% to the slow turning wheel with traction and 20% to the high spinning wheel without traction.

If a torsen isn't broken physically it's still working fine, and the rubber on your wheel wells was due to something else, track prep, etc.
Yes it is the stock diff. So a torsen does not have clutches?
Is there a way to check if it is working right? I know on a clutch styl posi you can jack the wheel off the ground and use a tq wrench to see how tight it is.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Yes it is the stock diff. So a torsen does not have clutches?
Is there a way to check if it is working right? I know on a clutch styl posi you can jack the wheel off the ground and use a tq wrench to see how tight it is.
Jack the rear up, turn one tire, the other one will turn the opposite direction.
If it's smooth and there is no noise, then it's working fine.

You could always go a step further and take the cover off, spray all the gear oil off so the cushioning effect doesn't hide any noises and spin the tires by hand. Look for cracks in the case of the torsen, and metal chunks.

If it sounds good it is good.

And to cover all the bases, there is a torsen T-2 that uses clutches, but chances are good thats not the one you have.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

can you make it lock up by hand or does it take more force than that. I did the wheel spin by hand and was worried that it was an open rear. The other wheel spun opposite the one I was turning.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FL-LS1
can you make it lock up by hand or does it take more force than that. I did the wheel spin by hand and was worried that it was an open rear. The other wheel spun opposite the one I was turning.
It doesn't lock up, it's a torque biasing differential.
Read about it on their site, www.torsen.com http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm
Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

This is whats in a factory installed F-Body Torsen.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

I think you gave him the best answer.

The Torsen diffs in the 99-02 cars aren't lockers, launching the car usually won't give you two long black marks. Usually you'll get one dark mark and one lighter one due to the difference in available traction between the tires.

The Torsen is a "torque distributing" differential, meaning it constantly varies torque output to each wheel based on that wheels available traction. Ideally both wheels have the same amount of traction and each one gets 50% of the torque, but thats rarely the case due to difference in road surface, tires, weight distribution, ect.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I think you gave him the best answer.

The Torsen diffs in the 99-02 cars aren't lockers, launching the car usually won't give you two long black marks. Usually you'll get one dark mark and one lighter one due to the difference in available traction between the tires.

The Torsen is a "torque distributing" differential, meaning it constantly varies torque output to each wheel based on that wheels available traction. Ideally both wheels have the same amount of traction and each one gets 50% of the torque, but thats rarely the case due to difference in road surface, tires, weight distribution, ect.
A torsen Huh? I never thought of that! I an used to clutch style posi's and lockers. So no clutch's to wear out? No if its not broken ist okay? I will have to google that bitch..... I think someone said that they are good for road racing and not so good for drag racing?

Search this Thread