Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any one brake a MOSER 9" tru-trac with stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any one brake a MOSER 9" tru-trac with stock LS1

Hey I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience with a moser rear. My car is just a bolt on LS1 with a 9", tru-trac w/31 spline axles. After about 20 quarter mile passes on drag radials the posi unit is clunking its *** off. This is not a car that was launching hard, the best 60' was 1.75 on et streets and the best pass was a 12.37. I just wanted to see If anyone else has had a bad experience with this rear or not, because I was surely not expecting this to brake like a 10 bolt would. As a matter of fact I have a friend that has been running a similar set up with a 10 bolt and his is still going strong. Just wanted to see if im the only one with this problem with a moser rear. Now Im looking at paying another $600 to moser for a spool set up, and I dont feel I should be in this situation.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brucelee
Hey I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience with a moser rear. My car is just a bolt on LS1 with a 9", tru-trac w/31 spline axles. After about 20 quarter mile passes on drag radials the posi unit is clunking its *** off. This is not a car that was launching hard, the best 60' was 1.75 on et streets and the best pass was a 12.37. I just wanted to see If anyone else has had a bad experience with this rear or not, because I was surely not expecting this to brake like a 10 bolt would. As a matter of fact I have a friend that has been running a similar set up with a 10 bolt and his is still going strong. Just wanted to see if im the only one with this problem with a moser rear. Now Im looking at paying another $600 to moser for a spool set up, and I dont feel I should be in this situation.
shoulda bought a fab 9 i hear there bulletproof
Old 07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant believe that you would have torn up a posi with a stock LS1. Are you sure it's the posi clunking?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00RedDragon
A fab 9 would still use the same internals.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats why I went with my Dana S60, A lot of people that I have personally talked to have had problems with them. Not all mind you but a larger than you would expect percentage.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deelong4002
I cant believe that you would have torn up a posi with a stock LS1. Are you sure it's the posi clunking?
Yea I opened it up the other day and there are a few broken teeth in the worm gear.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Hi,

Broke mine after a few hundred passes. It's not mosers fault, the tru trak is really not that strong in the 9". Wheel hop will kill them farely quickly. I noticed that I was getting more wheelhop with the tru track. I would not recommend a tru trak for any drag racing.

I went with a detriot locker. No more wheel hop. Problem solved.

DJ
Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00RedDragon
+ 1 on buying a fab 9...we all make bad choices in life. key is to learn from them

..Im in the market for a new rear and was considering the tru-trac, but after hearing your horror story and numerous other ones Im having second thoughts. There is no reason for it to break with only minimal power. Hopefully one of the sponsers will chime in and get you in contact with moser. The stand up thing for moser to do would be to credit you some money or offer an upgrade at a cheaper price. Goodluck bud and I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its time for a spool or locker
Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a tru-trac and its holding up......but after i take the car out and beat on it, it makes a slight clunking while turning slowly and sharply
Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Oh come on. A Moser 9" not holding up cause it's too weak and go S60? Why not put Rockwell 2.5ton axles in if you're giving that advice!!

As for the original post, my guess is the gears were not set up properly. I have the Tru-track, but have seen similiar posts. Moser has had a bad rap in the past for poor center section install with this carrier.

I got my Moser 9" rear from Va Speed, but had Shawn there redo the center section install with 4.11's. I have done several 6K RPM clutch drops at the track on slicks + street driving with no probs one year after install. The Moser + tru-traqck are plenty strong, but if the gears aren't set properly, it can fail.

Best of luck to ya' and sorry to hear your probs.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

$600 for a spoolyou can get a new one off ebay for 100 shipped.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I am running a tru-trac and its holding up......but after i take the car out and beat on it, it makes a slight clunking while turning slowly and sharply
Hate to say it but you have something broken inside the carrier. Same as Brucelee and myself. It should not pop or clunk, it's broken and not safe in my opinion. One good way to check it is to make these sharp turns on pavement and see if it pops then do the exact same turn on say grass or dirt, if it pops on pavement but not on grass it is only doing this under a load which the helical gears only engage under a load hence the broken or cracked gear. Just don't want anyone to get hurt. Go ahead and replace it now before it goes out all together when you least expect it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 30th6
$600 for a spoolyou can get a new one off ebay for 100 shipped.
thats not gonna include moser axles and bearings...
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

stop makin excuses n get that boat anchor fixed up so i can smoke ur *** at the track
Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats not gonna include moser axles and bearings...
you already have the axels and the bearings are like $40 at advance auto.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 30th6
you already have the axels and the bearings are like $40 at advance auto.
I have 31's will be goung with 33's
Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dandrea86
stop makin excuses n get that boat anchor fixed up so i can smoke ur *** at the track
Dont worry the boat anchor with 125k and seven cylinders and a pallet of brick in the trunk will be ready to hand you your ***. Just keep throwin money at that thing...its not gonna help
Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Dont worry the boat anchor with 125k and seven cylinders and a pallet of brick in the trunk will be ready to hand you your ***. Just keep throwin money at that thing...its not gonna help

Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Oh come on. A Moser 9" not holding up cause it's too weak and go S60? Why not put Rockwell 2.5ton axles in if you're giving that advice!!

As for the original post, my guess is the gears were not set up properly. I have the Tru-track, but have seen similiar posts. Moser has had a bad rap in the past for poor center section install with this carrier.

I got my Moser 9" rear from Va Speed, but had Shawn there redo the center section install with 4.11's. I have done several 6K RPM clutch drops at the track on slicks + street driving with no probs one year after install. The Moser + tru-traqck are plenty strong, but if the gears aren't set properly, it can fail.

Best of luck to ya' and sorry to hear your probs.

have to agree and disagree with ya. for cars not shocking the **** out of their drive train its a good idea to go true track. but if u gonna do some serious launches on n20 or other power adders its gonna break. and from wat u stated its only a matter of time before yours takes a dump too. locker or spool the strongest way to go if you're serious. my 35 spline 9" with locker seen 7200+rpm n20 launches, hundreds of passes and countless street beatings since 2004 and only had to change a 3rd member gasket due to leaking.

Quick Reply: Any one brake a MOSER 9" tru-trac with stock LS1