Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pics of my backbraced 9 inch

Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default pics of my backbraced 9 inch

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice. have it clear powder coated and leave the bare metal look. that'd be rad
Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

i seriously thought about that, but i spent about 3 hours with the grinder getting the old Moser applied paint or w/e off of it, and it still not all off there. so im just gonna paint it.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want an 9in
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

trust me, i wake up everyday and thank the car gods for gracing me with such a deal i got on this one.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM
12 Second Club

i actually suprised myself with the welding i did.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my welding skills are non existant lol keep us updated with pics
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

i got a ton more pictures, i just dont know where i have them stored. im painting it at the moment, its been totally welded for over 2 months now. just got around to posting pictures.

while i was doing the backbrace, i took out the 4.00 gears and aluminum spool (forsale PM me) and replaced them with Richmond 4.11 gears and a strange steel spool.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

just painted it with POR-15 like stuff...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good black.

can't tell in the pics, but you cut the ends off, and welded them back on with a narrowing jig. After the brace was welded?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
Looks good black.

can't tell in the pics, but you cut the ends off, and welded them back on with a narrowing jig. After the brace was welded?
yes, had to because welding the back brace on pulled the axle tubes in to far. i did what you said and cut them off and used the narrowing jig to line them up again.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

well its been over a year since i welded the back brace on, after a year of both unfortunate and fortunate events, (student loans coming due with shitty job and becoming a father.) its been sitting apart under the car in the garage. mainly because i havent had the money to put the engine together, so it kinda bummed me out to the point where i didnt feel like working on the car at all knowing i cant drive it.

anyways, fast forward a year or so, and i finally got all my **** in one toilet and the engine is coming together...heres where the problem lies. i realized welding this back brace on was not only time consuming and risky, but it also brought about another problem...how in the **** do i get a sway bar attached to it? obviously muffler clamps aren't going to work and i dont want to drill a hole thru the back brace for the muffler clamp. i thought about welding brackets on the bottom and using bolts to hold the sway bar to the rear end, but after getting it all together, it doesnt look like the angles are going to be correct on the sway bar and mounting locations. i could make an angled peice of square tubing to with some welded nuts to hold it on the rear end at the correct angle, however, i figured i would post this up to see if there was another solution that i havent considered yet. simply because this rear end is already totally (i thought) welded and painted and i dont want to strip it down, weld and repaint.

if someone has any other solution that would be great.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
well its been over a year since i welded the back brace on, after a year of both unfortunate and fortunate events, (student loans coming due with shitty job and becoming a father.) its been sitting apart under the car in the garage. mainly because i havent had the money to put the engine together, so it kinda bummed me out to the point where i didnt feel like working on the car at all knowing i cant drive it.

anyways, fast forward a year or so, and i finally got all my **** in one toilet and the engine is coming together...heres where the problem lies. i realized welding this back brace on was not only time consuming and risky, but it also brought about another problem...how in the **** do i get a sway bar attached to it? obviously muffler clamps aren't going to work and i dont want to drill a hole thru the back brace for the muffler clamp. i thought about welding brackets on the bottom and using bolts to hold the sway bar to the rear end, but after getting it all together, it doesnt look like the angles are going to be correct on the sway bar and mounting locations. i could make an angled peice of square tubing to with some welded nuts to hold it on the rear end at the correct angle, however, i figured i would post this up to see if there was another solution that i havent considered yet. simply because this rear end is already totally (i thought) welded and painted and i dont want to strip it down, weld and repaint.

if someone has any other solution that would be great.
best option is to weld square brackets on that you can just bolt the sway bar to. youll just have to grind down the areas you weld and grind the brackets so they sit level around the housing. should be more time consuming than hard.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

yea, im trying to stay away from welding and grinding and repainting....**** me...

Search this Thread