Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New axle bearings;unable to install C clips

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New axle bearings;unable to install C clips

1999 Z28 10 bolt 3.42 53K

Pulled the axles and found the bearing surfaces to be pitted.

I installed new National/Moog/Federal Mogul "repair bearings" (5707). They are driven in to the stop and extend about 1/8" beyond the tube.

I am working alone and am unable to get the C clip in place. If I had a helper and had them push the axle in as far as they could against the seal would I gain enough to get the C clip in place?

What is the secret to getting the C clips in place when using the repair bearings?

Thanks for any insight.

Randy
Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

There isn't a secret. Sometimes you cant get them in at all. I tried the axle saver bearings awhile back because my axle housing wouldn't hold a regular bearing without letting it chatter. I couldn't get the c-clip in either; had the abs sensor out, shoved the axle in all the way, no luck. Ended up getting v6 housing and putting gears and lsd in it.

Your better off getting a new axle and using the stock style bearings anyway. But in any case thats probably your only choice. Sorry...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
Your better off getting a new axle and using the stock style bearings anyway. But in any case thats probably your only choice. Sorry...
I agree with kevin01z28, I wouldn't use those repair bearings. But I would look around for used stock axles. People upgrade their axles and then have decent used ones lying around. They usually sell them at a good price too. Post in your local/regional room that you are looking for some, that way you might avoid shipping $$. Here is one example in the big for sale section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...e-10-bolt.html

If you have traction control make sure you get axles that are machined for the sensor ring.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Two big issues with those "repair" bearings:

1) The C-clips, as you are finding out, are a pain to get in. And, once they are in, they don't come out. You have to cut them out. Not cool.

2) Because of the moved bearing surface, there is less space for the seal, so the seals on those things are integrated. They are also thinner than stock style seals and very prone to leaks vs standard stock type seals. And because of #1, you're in for a fun time to replace the seals/bearings.

I almost went with the repair type, decided against it and just got a "new" (used) axle, bearing, and seal. No leaks, no issues with the C-clip, no hassle.

I kinda want to turn the old axle into a lamp now
Old 06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I wish I would have posted before making the decision to try those repair bearings.

I called Federal Mogul this morning and spoke with a tech. He confirmed I had the right bearings for the application and then asked if I would mind if he did some checking and called me back. About 15 later he called and said he could not find "many" inquiries in their records concerning a problem with those bearings in that application.

I told him that was fine I wasn't concerned with other peoples problems just mine and how did I go about getting a refund on my bearings? He said to return them to my local supplier and have them explain the problem to the Federal Modul sales rep. I called my counter man and he said no problem if they don't work bring them back.

One came out almost whole but the other one was a different story. All the pieces were put in a sandwich bag and into the box for the return.

I have found a local supply house that will sell me a "black axle" repair kit that includes the 2 axles, 2 bearings, seals, wheel studs and a ten year axle warranty for $323 plus Ohio sales tax that I am probably going to go with if I can't find a pair of good used ones.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails New axle bearings;unable to install C clips-rpaf.jpg  

Last edited by rstarkie; 06-03-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: attach image rather than link image...
Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the axle seals from the dealership. They were more expensive - maybe $12 each. But high quality.

I got the axle bearings from Advance. I just went with the best ones they had.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rstarkie
One came out almost whole but the other one was a different story. All the pieces were put in a sandwich bag and into the box for the return.

I have found a local supply house that will sell me a "black axle" repair kit that includes the 2 axles, 2 bearings, seals, wheel studs and a ten year axle warranty for $323 plus Ohio sales tax that I am probably going to go with if I can't find a pair of good used ones.

Randy
**** when I removed mine I destroyed it getting it out. Good job leaving one almost whole. Jawsgear sells axles, with and without the reluctor ring for $89 each.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Jawsgear sells axles, with and without the reluctor ring for $89 each.
Thanks for that information. Even with the shipping of two axles, two seals and bearings it comes to $250- quite a savings. Again, thanks!

Randy
Old 06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Jawsgear sells axles, with and without the reluctor ring for $89 each.
Unfortunately they have not been able to get those axles for some time and don't know when they will be available again. Still thankful that you responded.

Randy
Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the same mistake, I couldn't get the c clips back out so I actually took a saw saw stuck it insde of the diff and cut the ends of the axles out and the washed the inside of the housing like crazy. Didn't want to do that but seemed like I had no other choice, eitherway got the new axles bearings and seals in and its been running fine.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Default 4 channel traction control turns out to be the Ugly Sister

Finding the axles for this car with the 4 channel traction control was quite a journey. Lots of vendors have the axles without the tone rings but the 26059972 was not so easy.

Cincinnati Driveline thought they had a Chicago supplier that had them but when they arrived they were the ones for 3 channel. Bummer !! More lost time with my workspace tied up with the Camaro on jackstands.

Jeff at Cincinnati Driveline went above and beyond and came up with OE axles from American Axle for $160 each. They already had the tone rings and studs in place. He felt bad about the fact that the first axles had been wrong. These same axles at the dealer were priced at $260 each.

So while a lot of people would have upgraded to a different rear end assembly this was the best way to solve my problem. If you should find yourself in need of new axles you might do well to contact Jeff at Cincinnati Driveline and Hydraulics. Their phone is 513-651-2406. Email is driveline@fuse.net

Randy

Quick Reply: New axle bearings;unable to install C clips