Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

wavetrac ..do you like it ,hows it holding up ,mostly interested in street use

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default wavetrac ..do you like it ,hows it holding up ,mostly interested in street use

Wavetrac offers their pricey diff for 12 bolt and 9 inch already I think. And they said they are making it this year or next for my dana 60. So anyone have one of these yet and if so lets here some opinions of how it drives on the street and how its holding up if you are tracking it. I think they are supposed to be streetable and really wasn't into a spool or locker.
Not worried about the cost so much if it works good.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine in for 6 months. Drives like stock.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Sound good have you tracked it too?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a wavetrack too, it drives like stock but my gears whine a lot. they are the richmonds 4.11 and I dont like that but the exhaust is a little louder so you dont hear it.
I am almost done with the 4l80e swap them I will take it to the track.
I took it to the track when I was T56 but I had problems with the clutch slipping bc of a bad slave..
so far I am glad I got the wavetrack though.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Hey Guys I am new here but thought I would reply on this thread and see if anyone else has had any issues with a wavetrac in their 9" as I could use some advice with mine...

I purchased a Moser 9" 35 Spline with the wave trac for my car about 6 months ago and finally finished my car and tuned it. The rear end worked just fine on the dyno through 30 hours of tuning and then I went through maybe 2 hours of street tuning without a problem.

Last night I was driving home and down shifted and gave it hell through 2, 3 & 4 on a back country road, all seemed well.. No tire spin, No weird noises, etc. Then once I turned my car the rear end made all sorts of horrible noises. grinding / metal / scraping noises. At first I thought it was my brakes but the sound went away as soon as I started driving straight again. Every time I turn the car it sounds absolutely horrible. Has maybe 50 street miles on it and 20 hours of dyno tuning is all.

I am very suprised I am having issues so quickly, On my old 12 bolt rear end I never had a problem with the true trac, but this time around I decided to run the wave trac just because of the high HP limits it can handle. Anyone else been through anything like this? I would assume being 35 spline it can handle my power levels without a problem.. ( 1150 whp 1300 wtq ) ?

By no means I am talking down on Moser or Wave Trac, I am sure it is going to be warrantied it just bothers me it went bad so quickly... Curious if anyone else has been through this or am I the only unlucky one?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't see this being rearend at least not carrier why would turning make any difference. That sounds like something else..wheel bearing maybe..
I have a weird scraping sound trying to figure out on my car.It only does it when turn left not when going straight or turning right. I have checked brakes. Starting to think maybe runout on rotor or possibly wheel bearing. Mine seems to come from left front.
I really doubt its the wavertrac.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nesluopetan
Hey Guys I am new here but thought I would reply on this thread and see if anyone else has had any issues with a wavetrac in their 9" as I could use some advice with mine...

I purchased a Moser 9" 35 Spline with the wave trac for my car about 6 months ago and finally finished my car and tuned it. The rear end worked just fine on the dyno through 30 hours of tuning and then I went through maybe 2 hours of street tuning without a problem.

Last night I was driving home and down shifted and gave it hell through 2, 3 & 4 on a back country road, all seemed well.. No tire spin, No weird noises, etc. Then once I turned my car the rear end made all sorts of horrible noises. grinding / metal / scraping noises. At first I thought it was my brakes but the sound went away as soon as I started driving straight again. Every time I turn the car it sounds absolutely horrible. Has maybe 50 street miles on it and 20 hours of dyno tuning is all.

I am very suprised I am having issues so quickly, On my old 12 bolt rear end I never had a problem with the true trac, but this time around I decided to run the wave trac just because of the high HP limits it can handle. Anyone else been through anything like this? I would assume being 35 spline it can handle my power levels without a problem.. ( 1150 whp 1300 wtq ) ?

By no means I am talking down on Moser or Wave Trac, I am sure it is going to be warrantied it just bothers me it went bad so quickly... Curious if anyone else has been through this or am I the only unlucky one?
two comments

first one is a funny. you siad the rear has 30hours of dyno and 2 hours of street dyno. then further down you said it has 50 miles and 20 hours of dyno. just funny.

second. call the place you got it from. and they will probly want you to pull the center section out if you think it is the rear
Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure what you have going on with the rear but I'd dig into it right away to see what the problem is. Let us know what you find out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

We were on the dyno all weekend and everything was a blur to me after the tuning process, sorry I said 2 different things.. When you go to the dyno at 6pm and by the time the door opens it's light again 2 days in a row you can imagine how scatter brained you become.. You can just average them both out and it will probably be a good guess... It was not much time at all for a brand new setup though, this is something we can all agree on

I heard back from Moser this morning, this is what they sent to me when I asked them about the noises in the rear end:

Get rid of the Royal purple. Use 80w90 nonsynthetic. Besides being the
better fluid, synthetic voids any warranty the Wavetrac carries.

I did not like this reply. they NEVER included any paperwork that explained what fluid to use and what not to use. I had them assemble the whole thing and set it up and all I needed to do is weld on my 4 link parts and add fluid and be done with it. The #1 reason why I chose the wave trac is because of the " no questions asked lifetime warranty if anything happens to it " coverage the salesmen told me about and now they are telling me my warranty could be void for running royal purple fluid. What a joke if you ask me. If they had a big sticker or paperwork that explained it then that's one thing, but there was never a mention of what to use and so I decided to go with the expensive good stuff because it always worked great for me in my true trac rear... So this is where I am, I doubt any damage has been done but I will drain it all out and start over this week and see if the grinding goes away.

If not I will call them up and I will expect them to cover the damages.. Funny how no questions asked warranty, even if you blow it up and scatter it into 1000 pieces turned into a questions asked warranty the first time I have a problem.. I guess it's the good old classic saying " if something sounds too good to be true it probably is " ... I will keep you updated and let you know. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

wavetrac guys replied to me today and this is what they said.. so it sounds like even though moser is being a pain wavetrac is 100% willing to stand behind their products.. which gives me some seriously good piece of mind right now.

Hi Nathan,

I can certainly understand your frustration. To let you know - our warranty mentions nothing about Royal Purple fluid. You can use petroleum based or synthetics with a Wavetrac... what matters is the type.

The only oils that you will want to avoid with a Wavetrac diff are those that have "slippery" or "extreme-pressure" additives, like RedLine's Shockproof line - they are so slippery that the friction needed to make a diff work effectively isn't there.

In the end, the only issue that these slippery oils created is a lack of performance of the diff, not mechanical failure of our product.

I will wait to hear from you (you can call me) about what you find - but I can assure you that we will stand behind our product - and we want to make sure that we help you get to the root cause and if it's our product that is the root cause of the failure, we will repair or replace it. We want you to be happy with the Wavetrac.

Regards,
Dana
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

Now thats great customer service from someone that stands behind there product. What did you end up finding?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'm am about to smack moser upside the head with the true trace they gave me, whines already 1k on it.... Hopefully wavetrac can help you through this
Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

400 miles and it drives like stock.

I just can't figure out what this whine is.
Rear Noise

Going to contact Moser next week.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That synthetic fluid horsecrap is tired. I can understand regular oil during break in for proper gear lap but after 500 miles synthetic is no different. I've ran synthetic in my Moser 9, 35 spline detroit locker since about 500 miles and no problems whatsoever. Moser trying to say it voids the wavetrac warranty is chickenshit.
BTW, synthetic oil that most of us use isnt from outer space. It just starts with a higher refined BASE stock oil. I've talked to a bunch of oil mfg's at SEMA and the Hotrod Restoration Show and several tell me the base oil needs to be refined to a certain degree and then its considered synthetic. It comes from the same crude that becomes regular grades of motor oil. Also, one mfg told me that there's no regulation on the additive package thats added to the base stock. A company could literally mix their additive with autozone 40wt for a carrier, blend it into the synthetic base, and the final product can still be called synthetic.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i broke mine in with dino 75/90 and now running amsoil 80/90. the amsoil was that only syn oil i found that had absolutly no additives that could mess with the wavetrac. car drives like stock with no problems and the diff is strong. my gears also wine a bit but i have richmond pro 4.11 gears so i expected a little wine and its not bad at all
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

wavetrac guys replied to me today and this is what they said.. so it sounds like even though moser is being a pain wavetrac is 100% willing to stand behind their products.. which gives me some seriously good piece of mind right now.

Hi Nathan,

I can certainly understand your frustration. To let you know - our warranty mentions nothing about Royal Purple fluid. You can use petroleum based or synthetics with a Wavetrac... what matters is the type.

The only oils that you will want to avoid with a Wavetrac diff are those that have "slippery" or "extreme-pressure" additives, like RedLine's Shockproof line - they are so slippery that the friction needed to make a diff work effectively isn't there.

In the end, the only issue that these slippery oils created is a lack of performance of the diff, not mechanical failure of our product.

I will wait to hear from you (you can call me) about what you find - but I can assure you that we will stand behind our product - and we want to make sure that we help you get to the root cause and if it's our product that is the root cause of the failure, we will repair or replace it. We want you to be happy with the Wavetrac.

Regards,
Dana
I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly.... I just got my wavetrac in and it had a piece of paper saying not to use limited slip junk just OEM suggested fluid. Is running Royal Purple really that bad? It's hard as hell to find a bottle of oil that doesn't say limited slip this, limited slip that...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What they dont want you using is slip additives or friction modifiers.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how is moser vs. strange? I want a wavetrac 12 bolt...
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by trevmust
how is moser vs. strange? I want a wavetrac 12 bolt...
After 1.5yrs with one in my Moser 9" I have nothing bad to say at all. It performs flawlessly. Drag or twisties, no problems.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my Wavetrac for almost 4 years now and put about 3-5K miles on it and 30+ passes on it. The rear does whine while cruising but with all the research I did before I bought a 9" it seemed like no matter which rear/diff combo I got I'd have some noise. The way I look at it is; as long as I can dumped the clutch at the track with 28" slicks and not grenade it, it can sing as much as it wants. I've always used 80-90 non-synthetic.

Quick Reply: wavetrac ..do you like it ,hows it holding up ,mostly interested in street use