Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the patterns I had on the Yukokn gears. Back lash wash at .010 and that was as far out os the coast side pattern would go, but the drive side is the one making noise.
Attached Thumbnails Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8-imag0268.jpg   Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8-imag0269.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you mean to tell me that noise bothers you so bad you are thinking of buying another gear. Your gonna have $600 in gears in that thing.

How about buying a set of long tubes and a nice loud exaust. Should quiet that gear right up.

Lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Man you mean to tell me that noise bothers you so bad you are thinking of buying another gear. Your gonna have $600 in gears in that thing.

How about buying a set of long tubes and a nice loud exaust. Should quiet that gear right up.

Lol.
I know I am really ****....I picked up another Ford center section this morning at Pull-A-Part that came out of a 1969 Ford F100, 300 6 cyl, 3 on the tree and had 3.70 factory Ford gears in it. It only cost me $30. I dont think it has ever been messed with and everything is in really good shape. I am going to clean it up enough to check back lash and run a pattern on it. Then I will pull the ring and pinion out of it and set it up in mine right back like it was. If that doesnt do it then I am just going to drive the thing.....

There is another 6 cyl manual truck over there that has one in it to, I may go get it later next week just to have it, only $30.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man talk about luck. I found two 9"s in my trusty u pull it and one was 3/4 apart. The one I bought had a 3.00 ratio in it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well here she is, this thing was really nasty on the outside. I guess it is 40 years old though. After about 45 minutes in the parts washer, I sprayed it down with some brake cleaner then blew it dry to get ready to put on the marking compound. The patern looked really good and consistant all the way around the gear. Also the back lash was good at .010 with no runout on the ring gear. It made me feel good seeing USA and FORD stamped on the pinion. It really is a shame because I dont think I have ever seen a ring and pinion with USA stamped on it. To think that stuff made in the USA just keeps going away...

All I have to do is match this pattern and I should be good.

I loaded the gear as hard as I could in this picture and you can see a circular pattern in this picture if you look hard enough.

Clean and ready to go in the car.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We as americans have become consumers rather than the manufacturers we once were. The country that discovered the steel making process cant produce a steel product cheaper than it can be boated over by some charlie raking in our money without paying a nickles import tax.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

We as americans have become consumers rather than the manufacturers we once were. The country that discovered the steel making process cant produce a steel product cheaper than it can be boated over by some charlie raking in our money without paying a nickles import tax.
Charlie in the bushes!!! LOL Thats pretty funny.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

What do you think? I think its really close.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let it eat!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting a 9 inch conversion and this thread has been great and looks like a way to avoid errors
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Let it eat!
I plan on it. Going back in the car sometime today.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Launching!

When you get it all back together, was wondering if you could try to test the abs abit to see how it works
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I'm sure you can do it if you're inclined to do so. I sort of did the same thing in my '80 Malibu 20 years ago. You might end up close to what I sell the Moser housing and axle package for, here is a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...-and-Axles.htm You could use the Moser and use a junkyard center section. Just an idea, as the little parts cost and time can add up. Bob
i didnt read this whole tread but i want to say i just built a junkyard 9 inch for me. I did it right, replaced the tubes with new 3.25 steel tubing,used moser housing end caps, moser axles and spool, rebuilt the center section with a nodular case,welded brackets on. Well anyways the main point is i spent WAY MORE for a WAY CRAPPIER rear end that i spent TO MUCH TIME on when i couldve just got a moser complete rear.

IT pisses me off everything i think about all the work and money i spent to make this when i couldve bought better cheaper, and without labor.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joe77
When you get it all back together, was wondering if you could try to test the abs abit to see how it works
I did that the first time I drove it. And yes it works like stock.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
i didnt read this whole tread but i want to say i just built a junkyard 9 inch for me. I did it right, replaced the tubes with new 3.25 steel tubing,used moser housing end caps, moser axles and spool, rebuilt the center section with a nodular case,welded brackets on. Well anyways the main point is i spent WAY MORE for a WAY CRAPPIER rear end that i spent TO MUCH TIME on when i couldve just got a moser complete rear.

IT pisses me off everything i think about all the work and money i spent to make this when i couldve bought better cheaper, and without labor.
That's too bad, I know it happens. The little parts add up fast. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well run the car on jack stands last night, good news and bad news. I still have gear noise. But, I dont think its coming from the rear end. I think its the T56. I can run it from 20 to 80 mph in 4th with no noise. As soon as I shift into 5th and do the same thing I start to get noise, then put it in 6th and it gets louder. Same mph in 4th no noise, same mph in 5th start to hear noise, same mph in 6th noise gets louder. The drive shaft is spinning the same speed at that mph no matter what gear I am in, just turning more engine RPM. So, looks like I might be learning how to rebuild a T56 transmission.

Going to drive it as soon as the monsoon lets up here....

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 02-28-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres a series of needle bearing that go between the input shaft and main/output shaft that allow them to turn at differn't speeds. The counter shaft runs along the side and uses a series of fixed gears to mesh them together. But in 4th gear only your locking ring instead of making a gear selection locks the input and main/output shaft together for a 1/1 ration and that bearing is then not functional at that time. Wish you woulda came up with that $600 dollars or so. LOL.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Wish you woulda came up with that $600 dollars or so. LOL.
What do you mean? I drove it last night and still have noise, its is better so it is still making me think it is the rear end... Now I have noise on coast, the drive noise starts at about 55-60 under light throttle. The wierd thing now is it goes away on the drive side when I am hard on it. Under hard aceleration no noise.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
What do you mean? I drove it last night and still have noise, its is better so it is still making me think it is the rear end... Now I have noise on coast, the drive noise starts at about 55-60 under light throttle. The wierd thing now is it goes away on the drive side when I am hard on it. Under hard aceleration no noise.
I meant if it were the trans I wish for your sake that you woulda realized it before you changed gears twice. If I were yo I would just try to stay on the throttle all the time. LOL. When you are taking this thing apart do all your bearings look good and well lubricated?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

I meant if it were the trans I wish for your sake that you woulda realized it before you changed gears twice. If I were yo I would just try to stay on the throttle all the time. LOL. When you are taking this thing apart do all your bearings look good and well lubricated?

That’s what I thought you meant...Somehow I knew I was going to get the response to stay on the throttle all the time....I just knew that was coming...LOL I wish. The bearings look fine; feel fine every time I take it out. I am going to move the pinion out .001 one time tonight with everything still in the car and see what that does. Just like I did with the Yukon which did nothing...hell I might even go .002 this time.

Quick Reply: Building a junkyard 9" compared to 8.8