Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Just installed a carbon fiber driveshaft!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed a carbon fiber driveshaft!

Just installed a carbon fiber driveshaft by ACPT and all I can say is wow! Wheel hop is gone and the drive is so much smoother! The acceleration is like the feeling you get when you install an overdrive pulley X3! One of the best mods I have done.. Oh and I had a nasty iron one before.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F-BodyMind
Just installed a carbon fiber driveshaft by ACPT and all I can say is wow! Wheel hop is gone and the drive is so much smoother! The acceleration is like the feeling you get when you install an overdrive pulley X3! One of the best mods I have done.. Oh and I had a nasty iron one before.
Congrats man!

I hope it works out well for you. I've only ever seen two in my life for Fbodie's

One is now sitting on my friend's fireplace mantle from splintering and shattering 5 years ago.

The other is hanging on the shop wall from splintering and shattering on street tires.....we think wheel hop induced on this one last year.

I will say the short time i drove the last one, i was really impressed with the peppy-*** acceleration the CF driveshaft gave! It was a very trick component, and hard to compete with the weight savings.

Keep an eye on it and hope you like it.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those carbon fiber driveshafts stronger than steel/aluminum or just lighter?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Congrats man!

I hope it works out well for you. I've only ever seen two in my life for Fbodie's

One is now sitting on my friend's fireplace mantle from splintering and shattering 5 years ago.

The other is hanging on the shop wall from splintering and shattering on street tires.....we think wheel hop induced on this one last year.

I will say the short time i drove the last one, i was really impressed with the peppy-*** acceleration the CF driveshaft gave! It was a very trick component, and hard to compete with the weight savings.

Keep an eye on it and hope you like it.
Thanks bud!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
9 Second Club

Seriously, it's baller as hell, and if i had a street car, and the money to burn, I'd do a CF in a heartbeat.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Are those carbon fiber driveshafts stronger than steel/aluminum or just lighter?
They are lighter AND stronger. Aluminum ones are well weak coke cans and iron are stronger but heavy and their performance sucks!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

They are lighter AND stronger. Aluminum ones are well weak coke cans and iron are stronger but heavy and their performance sucks!
That's kind of an ignorant statement, brother. 100% agree on the lighter, but not nessacarily stronger in the aspect you are thinking. Perfectly in line with ZERO deflection in the drivetrain, yes, the CF is EXCELLENT strong. Deflection from wheel hop or just a sloppy drivetrain is a automatic killer for the CF driveshaft's where as a metal based one can withstand a little more before snapping.

Aluminum being coke cans is a little narrow-minded. There are multiple thickness aluminum DS's as well. Get a thin wall, obviously, it'll be weak. It's all about wall thickness.

Steel would be any stronger than a Chromoly, but weight is an issue. Then again, you can get a 3" steel DS made for $200, whereas there's a premium on higher end metals/CF DS's.

Regardless, like i said, congrats on the new mod. I'd be intereted to see what kind of ET's you pick up with just the DS. I think we got 1 tenth out of a H/C Lt1 car in the 1/4 with just the DS going from a CM to CF.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock one came with our car is steel or aluminum ?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
That's kind of an ignorant statement, brother. 100% agree on the lighter, but not nessacarily stronger in the aspect you are thinking. Perfectly in line with ZERO deflection in the drivetrain, yes, the CF is EXCELLENT strong. Deflection from wheel hop or just a sloppy drivetrain is a automatic killer for the CF driveshaft's where as a metal based one can withstand a little more before snapping.

Aluminum being coke cans is a little narrow-minded. There are multiple thickness aluminum DS's as well. Get a thin wall, obviously, it'll be weak. It's all about wall thickness.

Steel would be any stronger than a Chromoly, but weight is an issue. Then again, you can get a 3" steel DS made for $200, whereas there's a premium on higher end metals/CF DS's.

Regardless, like i said, congrats on the new mod. I'd be intereted to see what kind of ET's you pick up with just the DS. I think we got 1 tenth out of a H/C Lt1 car in the 1/4 with just the DS going from a CM to CF.
Smart man right here. I only say coke can since I've seen my friends twisted and snapped, looked pretty thin to me. And as for iron well I'm just comparing it to my old one. Also the ACPT I got supposedly is rated at 1000 hp. Who knows..
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by killagt
Depends on the car you have. Some came with Aluminum, some steel. Neither are sufficient for getting beat on with sticky tires IMO.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Seemed to me if u had 2.73 gears you had a steel ds. 3.23's or 3.42 you had an aluminum ds.

I myself got a pst 3.5" forged aluminum ds.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by killagt
All lt1's came with iron. Ls1's with 3.23 gears and higher came with aluminum 2.73 A4 ls1's came with iron.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm fairly sure that 93-97 LT1's got steel and 98-02 LS1's got aluminum...

EDIT:^beat me to it
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I heard those weren't recommended for street use. True or not?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does a DS cure wheel hop?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I heard those weren't recommended for street use. True or not?
I've been using mine on the street since the spring of 2006...roughly 20,000 miles. My car is no longer a daily, and hasn't been since the summer of 2007, but it is 100% a street car.

It is a PST 3.75" CF driveshaft.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a cf driveshaft with the 9" and couldn't be happier been running it for a while now(2years) not a dd what so ever cars for drag but as for dding it it will be no problem had no issue with it also one of the best mods I've done the good thing is I got a great deal for this combo off a cousin before he sold his camaro

Last edited by trans am 98; 03-31-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

Congrads on the buy, Im the 2nd friend that Tim is talking about, The issue that I had is that it was rubbing on the stock torque arm and was cutting a grove into the DS. I just didnt pay enough attention to it. the clearance was fine while at ride height but during any sort of hard driving it was rubbing and that was what I think caused the failure. The break was clean and you can see were it was rubbing. I am now using a steel one and cant wait to get another CF the diffrence in feel is amazing.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shadow's SS
Congrads on the buy, Im the 2nd friend that Tim is talking about, The issue that I had is that it was rubbing on the stock torque arm and was cutting a grove into the DS. I just didnt pay enough attention to it. the clearance was fine while at ride height but during any sort of hard driving it was rubbing and that was what I think caused the failure. The break was clean and you can see were it was rubbing. I am now using a steel one and cant wait to get another CF the diffrence in feel is amazing.
What diameter was it? I also have a stock torque arm and now I'm a little worried.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grifter
How does a DS cure wheel hop?
Don't know bit it did.. Anyone care to answer this one?

Quick Reply: Just installed a carbon fiber driveshaft!