Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How hard to remove differential?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How hard to remove differential?

Just like the title says, how hard is it to remove the differential? I have 4.10 motive gears on the way and i have a reputable shop that says they'd swap em for $150 but they only want the housing to do it cuz they don't have a lift. They mainly build engines but can do gear swaps. I have a buddy who can do it for $250-300 but I'd like to have a shop do it so they'll cover it if they screw it up. I doubt my buddy would lol. what would u guys do? if it's not much work I'll pull the diff and take it up there. Its just to holde over until winter until i can buy a new rear end. I'm doing a cam swap in like a month and my 3.42's aren't gonna b enough....
Old 04-09-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats not gonna work unless you remove the entire axle housing to change the pinion gear & bearings. Thats unnecessary work pulling the entire axle & a much easier job to do on a hoist, axle left in the car. I sure wouldnt consider a shop reputable if they dont even have a hoist & only charging you $150? I would seriously go somewhere else, what appears to be a good deal usually ends up not being a good deal at all when its all said & done.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said. That's a hell of alot of extra work just to change out gears.

Trust me, i just swapped rears. You dont want to do all of that work.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

They just want you to remove the differential, thats the carrier with the ring gear on it so they can switch your ring gear for ya. Not hard at all to switch a ring gear, I would not let these clowns touch my car if I were you. From what youve said they dont have a clue.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Ok kool.. They said bring the housing to them so I figured the differential. U can't set the backlash with just the carrier can u, I kno very little about differentials so bare with me. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Thats not gonna work unless you remove the entire axle housing to change the pinion gear & bearings. Thats unnecessary work pulling the entire axle & a much easier job to do on a hoist, axle left in the car. I sure wouldnt consider a shop reputable if they dont even have a hoist & only charging you $150? I would seriously go somewhere else, what appears to be a good deal usually ends up not being a good deal at all when its all said & done.
They just want you to remove the differential, thats the carrier with the ring gear on it so they can switch your ring gear for ya. Not hard at all to switch a ring gear, I would not let these clowns touch my car if I were you. From what youve said they dont have a clue.
Dude what are you smoking this morning? Have you ever rebuilt a rear end? Do people pay you to work on their cars? Rebuilding a rear end on a table vs. under a car without a lift are two completely different things.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Dude what are you smoking this morning? Have you ever rebuilt a rear end? Do people pay you to work on their cars? Rebuilding a rear end on a table vs. under a car without a lift are two completely different things.
Yes, they do pay me & yes I have rebuilt a few rear ends, all on the hoist too. I work at a place that has hoists so it kinda makes sense doesnt it?
I dont smoke anything, why would you go through the trouble of pulling your rear end for a shop thats supposed to know what the hell theyre talking about? Theres a much easier way & less work, leave the axle in the car & rebulid it right on the hoist. Most "REAL" shops use them these days. He can do what he wants, but like I said this so called "reputable shop" doesnt seem so "reputable" for how they go about things.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't pull my rear end to rebuild it, and I didn't. But when someone ask me to put in gears I give them several prices. Gear install only in the car, and out of the car, and full rebuild in the car and out of the car. Its completely up to them what they choose. Obviously if you bring me the rear the price will be much cheaper, same as the shop the OP was talking about.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allout06
Ok kool.. They said bring the housing to them so I figured the differential. U can't set the backlash with just the carrier can u, I kno very little about differentials so bare with me. Thanks for the help.
No, cant set the backlash with just the carrier, everything has to be assembled in the axle housing to check & adjust it.

I wouldn't pull my rear end to rebuild it, and I didn't. But when someone ask me to put in gears I give them several prices. Gear install only in the car, and out of the car, and full rebuild in the car and out of the car. Its completely up to them what they choose.
Obviously if you bring me the rear the price will be much cheaper, same as the shop the OP was talking about.
If you give them those options & they want to do it that way great. The only option the OP was given by this shop was he has to pull it for the work to be done, & IMO thats not the best option. $150 is CHEAP for that job & OP said he wanted a shop to do the work so they will stand behind it BUT if they screw something up he has to pull it back out & take the axle to them. He can do what he wants but I dont recommend having it done this way.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I didnttgjnk about that. If it screws up I really wouldn't wanna pull it again. The shop is mainly an engine shop, they build race engines and do machining. So I can understand them not having a lift. Don't need it if all u specialize in is engines. Again thanks for the help. I'll just let my buddy do it and I'll learn something new so I can do it myself next time
Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you give them those options & they want to do it that way great. The only option the OP was given by this shop was he has to pull it for the work to be done, & IMO thats not the best option. $150 is CHEAP for that job & OP said he wanted a shop to do the work so they will stand behind it BUT if they screw something up he has to pull it back out & take the axle to them. He can do what he wants but I dont recommend having it done this way.
2 different ways of looking at things. I pulled my tranny, carried it out of town, had it built for a very reasonable price, went and picked it back up, and reinstalled it. How much money did I save actually? Don't know and don't really care. I had who I wanted build it, for a better price then the average Joe Blow, and it was convenient for the builder because a bay and lift in his shop wasn't taken up.......On a side note, there becomes a time where you get tired of doing stupid **** like removing brakes, drive-shafts, and wheels and tires. I have no problem using my experience to set-up someone's rear for them for cheap/free, but I don't wanna take off their brakes and tires and ****. If I wanted to do that I would go be a mechanic. I can definitely see where the engine shop is coming from.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Exactly. I'm just Tryin to save some cash just like the next guy.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

2 different ways of looking at things. I pulled my tranny, carried it out of town, had it built for a very reasonable price, went and picked it back up, and reinstalled it. How much money did I save actually? Don't know and don't really care. I had who I wanted build it, for a better price then the average Joe Blow, and it was convenient for the builder because a bay and lift in his shop wasn't taken up.......On a side note, there becomes a time where you get tired of doing stupid **** like removing brakes, drive-shafts, and wheels and tires. I have no problem using my experience to set-up someone's rear for them for cheap/free, but I don't wanna take off their brakes and tires and ****. If I wanted to do that I would go be a mechanic. I can definitely see where the engine shop is coming from.
I understand you pulled your trans to have it rebuilt, it has to come out anyway. The axle does not have to be removed from the car to do a gear swap. Its not that hard to remove 2 wheels, calipers & driveshaft. Its a much bigger project to undo everything else & have to bleed brakes. Not that any of that is that hard either(with the proper equipment) its time consuming. I was just giving good advise & possibly save the OP from doing unnecessary work.

Originally Posted by allout06
Exactly. I'm just Tryin to save some cash just like the next guy.
If its worth whatever the savings to you to pull the rear end & these guys know what theyre doing & you dont mind pulling it by all means do what you want its your car.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

its a lot easier and better to install gears when the rear is out of the car.it will take you a day to remove the rear end to save $100-150,and a friendship.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

well my buddy did the install for $250. Backlash at .08. its raining out so i cant tell how much of a difference their is, but it wants to get sideways in a hurry 1st-3rd on 315 nt-01s just by pushing the throttle down. before, it would actually do pretty decent in the rain in 2nd and 3rd it wouldnt turn em over unless i slipped the clutch. (very impressed with these tires) from a gradually increase in throttle i can tell it wants to pull though. also it takes off alt easier, not so much riding the clutch..
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my 2.73 with a 3.42 in about 1 hour. Tourque arm, LCA, shocks panhard and brake hose, ABS connector. DS and sway bar brackets from body. Easily done with some experience and a lift and trans jack.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

finally got the car out on some dry pavement, and, these tires HOOK. even with 4.10's and my mods, these tires wont turn over at all, but the car feels like a rocket! im happy with em!! HUGE improvement over the 3.42's, they should come with 4.10's from the factory lol

Quick Reply: How hard to remove differential?