Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

READ THIS: What you need to know before you buy an S60!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default READ THIS: What you need to know before you buy an S60!

I usually don't like to flame anyone, much less companies, but I feel like I need to get this out. If you are planning getting an S60 or even own one already, read below please.

==========
I ordered my S60 directly from Strange in May of 2008. During the process of my order, I completely detailed my car and setup and how much power it was making to the wheels including the fact that it was full weight 6-speed. I was assured by the techs that the TrueTrac S60 was more than capable of handling my setup specifically stating the S60 could handle 1000 hp and the Strange 3" moly drive shaft could handle 1200 hp and "we put them behind Pro Mods blah blah blah". At the time my car made 410 hp N/A and made 525 hp on nitrous. I explained that I would be upgrading my nitrous system and would be making over 600 hp. My latest dyno numbers are 701/708.

The TrueTrac died last year after approximately 20 passes at the track with only 9 of those passes being on slicks. After talking with Strange then, it was already out of warranty and they have no explanation on why the TrueTracs are failing despite many reporting the same issues when put behind 6-speed cars. In the vid below, the line lock was engaged and the rear axles should have been able to spin freely during the burn out. I was on 275/60 radials but the driver rear tire doesn't want to spin.

See this thread for more info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ruecrap-6.html

So I pay out of my pocket for a spool, bearings and installation. In the process of installing my Quick Time bell housing last night, we found the splines in my so-called "1200 hp" drive shaft have been twisted and some even sheared. WTF?

So I call back to Strange this morning with this issue asking why the drive shaft failed. The tech looked at my order from a few years back and said this:

The 3" moly driveshaft you ordered is only good for 700 hp
Huh?
The S60 TrueTrac is only good for 600hp
I’m sorry, what?

So the moral of the story is, you better double check your information before you place any orders with them. The ratings were either clearly misrepresented for sales tactics or someone there doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. Or maybe now that some people have busted the S60 and their "Pro Mod" drive shaft behind mild street cars, they have had to "revise" their ratings. .
  1. If you have a 6-speed, heavy car or make anywhere near 600 whp, do not get the TrueTrac (if that's even an option any more).
  2. If you are getting a moly DS from Strange for your S60 and make anywhere near 600 hp, make sure you specify moly ends, moly slip yoke and moly pinion yoke

I realize you gotta pay to play, but when I call a respected manufacturer I expect to get the correct information so I have a fighting chance to get my setup to work SAFELY and with some degree of confidence!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the heads up man....but that's not what i wanted to hear...i have a Moser 9" with the TrueTrac, and with my new blower setup, looks like i'll be replacing that with either the new WaveTrac or...a full spool..

but for the record, i wasn't planning this new setup, so i wasn't mislead at all w/ the TrueTrac purchase.

not to get too far off topic, but does anyone have real data on the new WaveTrac?

btw, your car leaves pretty damn good....
Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup the Tru Trac is garbage. Sorry for your loss. I went with a Nitrous Ready DS which is steel from Denny's. Never an issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard anything good about tru trac. From what I've been reading over the past year or two it's either spool or wave trac.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by S.O.MWS6
thanks for the heads up man....but that's not what i wanted to hear...i have a Moser 9" with the TrueTrac, and with my new blower setup, looks like i'll be replacing that with either the new WaveTrac or...a full spool..

but for the record, i wasn't planning this new setup, so i wasn't mislead at all w/ the TrueTrac purchase.

not to get too far off topic, but does anyone have real data on the new WaveTrac?

btw, your car leaves pretty damn good....
I've seen quite a few people running the WaveTrac on here with great results. I'll have mine in a month or so, if you're ever back in town I can give you a ride in it so you can see it's street manners
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
9 Second Club

Damn, that sucks to hear man. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

they gave u a rated 700hp d/s when u clearly stated thats what you had? can they really be that stupid?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure they now rate the true trac at 600hp like you quoted but they have there own revised unit they have been putting in the street built s60s that is said to handle more. I guess Im lucky I have a MW yoke. I really just lucked out on that.

maybe the rep was an idiot..

Regardless That is crappy way to due business and goes to show why the vendors on here are they way to go.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the heads-up as I was looking at their driveshafts as of late
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Kyle, sorry to hear you're having issues... I too had some issues last year at the shootout. They took care of mine but I had to be pretty patient. They also still make the high hp claims when you speak to a sales rep, but I'm glad I specified what I wanted exactly. Hope you get the car lined out.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of pathetic promod has only 1,200HP

Quick Reply: READ THIS: What you need to know before you buy an S60!