Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whir noise on right turns only after new ring and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whir noise on right turns only after new ring and pinion

I have a strange sound coming from the rear. While coasting and right turn only. New seals bearing axles seals races pinion and ring gear. What did I mess up? Still in break in period...
Old 06-17-2012, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds like the left axle bearing might be bad.

Carl
Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Its new. I'm certain I installed it correctly. Bad from the factory?

This was my first attempt at a ring and pinion install. So I'm a little scared that I may have botched something.

I'll try to get a recording of the noise so you guys can get a better description than whir.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

WOW first time with a gear change!!! Did you check bearing PRE-LOAD on the carrier and pinion?? Did you set the pinion depth correctly. Did you install new races correctly and made absolutely sure they were seated all the way ?? And finally what did you set the back lash at??? Did you install all new parts including a new crush sleeve. So many things can cause this. Was it noisy before the gear change!! And finally who made the new R&P. And who made the rear. I am thinking BW. aM I CORRECT??? Just curious!!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I followed Kelly's tutorial. All new races and bearings, everywhere. Races were certainly seated. And yes, I used a new Ratech crush sleeve. I put in a Richmond set, backlash was as close to .006 as I could get.

As for the noise... It was enough that, with the radio blaring, I was ready to drive off a cliff with me in it. Luckily I couldnt find a cliff. Now, other than what I have mentioned above, its quite as a mouse. Took it up to 70ish (not calibrated yet) and let it coast, not a bit of noise. Just idle and wind.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Did you check the pattern? If not you should stop driving and check it. Actually, I think you should stop driving and recheck everything. I take it you ground down your paddle?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Did you check the pattern? If not you should stop driving and check it. Actually, I think you should stop driving and recheck everything. I take it you ground down your paddle?
The pattern looked very close to those I have seen online. Maybe a little further in.

Yes, grounded the paddle just like the one in the other thread and it fit perfectly.

How is it that so many things could cause this noise just on decel, coast, right turn only? Strangely specific if you ask me.

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 06-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

If the noise is as loud as you say something is pretty fucked. Keep in mind I know next to nothing, but I think you should snap a pic of the pattern...hopefully you have actual gear paint and not grease. Post the pic and recheck you backlash.

Coast uses the opposite side of the gear from drive, if your pinion depth is wrong that could be it. My Richmond's required a much thicker shim than what came on the oe set.

I had a thread with a bunch of patterns here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-my-paint.html

Given that it only occurs in that way, I think it is likely that your mesh is wrong, specifically pinion depth.

I know very little, but i encourage you to stop driving it until you figure out what is wrong.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
If the noise is as loud as you say something is pretty fucked. Keep in mind I know next to nothing, but I think you should snap a pic of the pattern...hopefully you have actual gear paint and not grease. Post the pic and recheck you backlash.

Coast uses the opposite side of the gear from drive, if your pinion depth is wrong that could be it. My Richmond's required a much thicker shim than what came on the oe set.

I had a thread with a bunch of patterns here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-my-paint.html

Given that it only occurs in that way, I think it is likely that your mesh is wrong, specifically pinion depth.

I know very little, but i encourage you to stop driving it until you figure out what is wrong.
It isnt loud at all. It can barely be heard. So much so Im having an issue with my camera even picking up the noise.

As I said, I followed Kellys tut. So I just used the OE shim from the old pinion.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Well you need to tell me what the pinion drag was. And the carrier pre load is. Also photos of the pattern would be nice. I can only guess at this point but it sounds like the pinion is shallow?? If that is off you have to start over. I dont use richmond gears they tend to be a bit noisy. Especially on coast. Did you go overboard on your grinding??? Also check drive axle back lash as well. Normally i use a tighter Back Lash but .006 is OK.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tom falco
Well you need to tell me what the pinion drag was. And the carrier pre load is. Also photos of the pattern would be nice. I can only guess at this point but it sounds like the pinion is shallow?? If that is off you have to start over. I dont use richmond gears they tend to be a bit noisy. Especially on coast. Did you go overboard on your grinding??? Also check drive axle back lash as well. Normally i use a tighter Back Lash but .006 is OK.
Just to show how much of a noob I am... I dont know what pinion drag is, nor carrier preload. Please school me and tell me exactly what I need to do.

Ive also read that Richmonds are noisy, but I have not a peep; even when coasting. Surely another sign Ive screwed this up.

Grinding was perfect, took off just enough to make the paddle fit.

Dont know what axle backlash is either. Didnt feel any different from any other time.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Man that is some NOISE. Sounds like a train. You have to go back in and check it over. It may be the BRAKES or the calipers. Just saying. That sounds like a train.

Here is pinion drag and how it is tested. This drag is without the seal and no carrier installed. App 11 INCH/LBS on this front diff of my TYPHOON

Last edited by tom falco; 06-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Whir noise on right turns only after new ring and pinion