Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Fabricating my own Ford 9" question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fabricating my own Ford 9" question(s)

I have a couple of spare 9" housings laying around and want to build my own. I've already sourced a narrowing/axle tube setup jig, reluctor rings for my 4 channel abs, torque arm mounts (either Moser, Currie or fabbing up my own) and conversion u-joint. I've setup 7.5 and 8.5 GM rears before and fabbed my own stuff for many, many years.

My main question is about the housing ends. I need the dimensions of the bolt pattern for the backing plates. I've looked on Google but found conflicting information.

I would also like to know if anyone's found a place that sells the spring perches and shock mounts that you can weld to the axle tubes. I thought Currie offered them but I was wrong.

Also, if you've setup your own Ford 9" what have you ran into that has caught you off guard. I don't like getting to where I'm in the install process and I've missed something or miscalculated something. I've definitely learned the rule, "figure the cost of your budget and then double it". I've learned it the hard way a couple of times too.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kyphur
I have a couple of spare 9" housings laying around and want to build my own. I've already sourced a narrowing/axle tube setup jig, reluctor rings for my 4 channel abs, torque arm mounts (either Moser, Currie or fabbing up my own) and conversion u-joint. I've setup 7.5 and 8.5 GM rears before and fabbed my own stuff for many, many years.

My main question is about the housing ends. I need the dimensions of the bolt pattern for the backing plates. I've looked on Google but found conflicting information.

I would also like to know if anyone's found a place that sells the spring perches and shock mounts that you can weld to the axle tubes. I thought Currie offered them but I was wrong.

Also, if you've setup your own Ford 9" what have you ran into that has caught you off guard. I don't like getting to where I'm in the install process and I've missed something or miscalculated something. I've definitely learned the rule, "figure the cost of your budget and then double it". I've learned it the hard way a couple of times too.

Here is a link to My website that shows the dimensions of the face of the housing ends. If You need the depth measurements too I will get a pair off the shelf and measure them as well.

http://centralracingparts.com/index....product_id=745

Carl
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racecraft sells the brackets $250 or more. And I believe midwest chassis will sell them to you also. As far as the ends www.quickperformance.com sells them for f body brakes on a 9 inch. But what I learned for the $995 quickperformance sells a bolt in housing with axles. You wont save much money piecing one together.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
Here is a link to My website that shows the dimensions of the face of the housing ends. If You need the depth measurements too I will get a pair off the shelf and measure them as well.

http://centralracingparts.com/index....product_id=745

Carl
Actually, that's perfect for what I need. I will probably be purchasing those from you for my setup.

Originally Posted by cantfind2nd
Racecraft sells the brackets $250 or more. And I believe midwest chassis will sell them to you also. As far as the ends www.quickperformance.com sells them for f body brakes on a 9 inch. But what I learned for the $995 quickperformance sells a bolt in housing with axles. You wont save much money piecing one together.
I didn't see the brackets on Racecraft's or Midwest's sites. Nor did I see the ends on Quickperformance. I've been through Quick Performance's site a number of times and never seen them. I could be blind though and just not seeing them.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyphur

Subscribed for results.

I am going the same route and in process of aquiring parts.
So far:

Late 70's F250 large housing bare rear housing $60 from eBay.
Brackets plasma cut from a 10 bolt rear purchased off a member on this site $100.

Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call quickperformance , they will sell the ends they are not on the site anymore.They are like 75$ billet steal really nice. To the guy above f250's never came with 9 inch rears.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cantfind2nd
Call quickperformance , they will sell the ends they are not on the site anymore.They are like 75$ billet steal really nice. To the guy above f250's never came with 9 inch rears.
Thank you for the correction.
Typo on my part.

Rear came from a F150 pickup.

Mike
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have everything you need in stock, from torque arm setups to brackets to housing ends for the GM brakes. Give us a call!

Quick Reply: Fabricating my own Ford 9" question(s)