Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Speed Sensor

Hello again, I am new here. I recently purchased a 2000 Trans Am. The car is not original, and I do not want it to be original. I am first replacing the original rear end with a Ford 9" Quick Performance 411 possie. I did not realize the original speed sensor setup would no longer work with my new rear. Is there something out there that I can use to replace or make my original sensor work? Can I get it tuned to bypass the old setup?
I am sure someone has been through this, and I do not mean to repeat the question, but here we are, and I am the newbie.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Did the original rearend have one sensor on top indicating it was a 3 channel ABS only system OR one sensor at each axle end indicating it was a 4 channel ABS & TC system ?
Old 12-31-2023, 09:26 AM

It has two. one on each side
Old 12-31-2023, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

I can't help you, I just posted the question to clarify your situation so other 'posters' might be able to help. It makes a big difference trying to accommodate the needs of the two different systems.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:48 AM

That is fine, and I appreciate the help.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

I believe the problem with the aftermarket rears and the ABS/TCS sensors is the distance from the sensor to the reluctor rings. I’ve read about people trying to use shims to move the sensor closer but I believe most people end up deleting ABS and traction control. The bad part is after deleting them you will still have dash lights on and you can’t turn them off via a tune. So people either smash the bulbs or put tape over them… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 01-04-2024 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I believe the problem with the aftermarket rears and the ABS/TCS sensors is the distance from the sensor to the reluctor rings. I’ve read about people trying to use shims to move the sensor closer but I believe most people end up deleting ABS and traction control. The bad part is after deleting them you will still have dash lights on and you can’t turn them off via a tune. So people either smash the bulbs or put tape over them… 🤦🏻‍♂️

I did purchase Reluctor rings from quick performance but I need to press them on. I hope it works. I still want to tune it after I install the rear. I appreciate your reply and I hope I can come back with advice if it does work out for me. I hope you had a great new year.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dmast
I did purchase Reluctor rings from quick performance but I need to press them on. I hope it works. I still want to tune it after I install the rear. I appreciate your reply and I hope I can come back with advice if it does work out for me. I hope you had a great new year.
Post #128 might be helpful. Happy New Year. #128

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor