Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can't drop engine, nipple won't align, can't get drive shaft pushed in all the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006 | 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Can't drop engine, nipple won't align, can't get drive shaft pushed in all the way

I spent 8 hours last night and failed to drop my engine in. I can get the engine close to the bellhousing but I have pushed and pushed and the engine won't connect in. I can't get the two nipples to push in and it feels like something is blocking the way but I can't see anything that would. Any ideas. I would like to get my engine in soon!
Old 05-23-2006 | 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

automatic or 6 speed?
Old 05-23-2006 | 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry 6 speed
Old 05-23-2006 | 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

and your sure the input shaft and crank have lined up
Old 05-23-2006 | 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure. I can push it close but there is still a 2 inch gap.

How can I make sure they are lined up? I used the plastic alignment tool when assembling the block.
Old 05-23-2006 | 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

try getting some longer bolts that are the same size and pitch as your trans bolts and put them in to get things lined up and started.
Old 05-23-2006 | 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok i can try that. Can you think of any reason as to why I cam unable to push the engine all the way up next to the bell housing?

Is there any way to be sure that the crank and shaft are lined up properly? How can I test it after putting it together so I know it is installed correctly. I don't want to put on all the other parts to find out the block didn't go in right and have to start over.
Old 05-23-2006 | 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
Ok i can try that. Can you think of any reason as to why I cam unable to push the engine all the way up next to the bell housing?
Yes, because of the slave cylinder.

I had this problem when I took my trans out for the clutch. When I got the trans lined up, I could not get it any further than 2-3" from the engine. The throwout bearing was fully extended and it was keeping me from pushing them in further.

On LT1 cars at least their new slaves come with a zip-tie from the factory, to compress it...you install it as is and the first time you depress the clutch it snaps the zip-tie and then you are free to go on.

With my LS1 car I just used some really long bolts and CAREFULLY walked the transmission up to the engine. Tightening the bolts in a star pattern, a little at a time, allowed me to get close enough to put the original bolts in one at a time.

That is what worked for me, not sure if it is helpful or not seeing as you are installing the engine, not the trans.