Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end noise under no-load and turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise under no-load and turning

My rear makes a whirling type noise when I turn the wheel over 45degrees in either direction and when I let the foot of the gas and place the car in neutral or depress the clutch pedal. The rear is perfectly quiet when the car is in gear and accelerating. Its only when there is no load on the rear and turning the wheel. The car has new carrier and wheel bearings, so it has to be something else. My mechanic said that the center housing has some play and that I need a new rear end, but I am not completely convinced about that. ANother board member and sponsor said that it might be my torsen diff. that has gone out. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Default not enough carier preload

when replacing bearings (carier)the carrier must be reshimmed sounds like your mechanic put the stock shims back in.thusfore saying the carrier is loose and doesnt have enough preload on bearings.the reason for noise (on coast side)is there isnt any pressure to keepbearings tight.when you accel everything tightens up.when going into turns one side has a load on it,the other doesnt.this needs fixed your mechanic is filling you full of BS.most mechanics dont like doin differential work.most dont know how.this can ruin your gears and new bearings.

did he replace pinion bearings?

im very experienced in this field you dont need a rearend ,you need a new mechanic.
good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

is the coast side meaning the other side of the ring gear teeth?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Default is the coast side meaning the other side of the ring gear teeth?

when the car is coasting. not in a load. i have overhauled alot of rears done gear swaps. im wondering how the housing wears out.maybe if the carrier bearings locked up,got so hot that they melted to the races and shims.ive seen pinions do this,but never the carrier.if it were this bad the mechanic shouldve said so instead of doin the overhaul.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys. Actually, the car was doing fine for almost a year after the rebuild, and just started making this noise recently. After the rebuild, he told me how he had put in new carrier bearings, shims, two new axles and wheel bearings. If I remember correctly.....it might just be a coincidence, but I started hearing that noise right after I had to use my smaller size spare tire for a few days. So do you guys think that a new properly shimmed Eaton or Auburn will get rid of this noise?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Default most defanantly

running a smaller tire will most definatly put stress on the differential.the torsen is junk anyway.that new diff should fix the prob.id go ahead and do gear swap also.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Try a bottle or two of the GM limited slip rear additive and see how it does. Took care of mine just fine, was doing exactly what you describe. A cheap fix or narrows it down to a mechanical adjustment or fix. I'm betting that will take care of it. I also was a service advisor in a past life and have seen this take care of that noise on several cars including my own. Good luck...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Try a bottle or two of the GM limited slip rear additive and see how it does. Took care of mine just fine, was doing exactly what you describe. A cheap fix or narrows it down to a mechanical adjustment or fix. I'm betting that will take care of it. I also was a service advisor in a past life and have seen this take care of that noise on several cars including my own. Good luck...
I tried the LS additive already with no luck. I just ordered a new Eaton LSD from Thunder Racing today. That should remedy the problem for sure now.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Default torsen has no clutches

limited slip adetive is only needed when clutches are involved the torsen doesnt use clutches.gm stopped using the auburn posis in 98.his car uses the torsen diffmso limited slip adetive doesnt help any.i had no pastlife but im ase certified in this one
Old 11-09-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
limited slip adetive is only needed when clutches are involved the torsen doesnt use clutches.gm stopped using the auburn posis in 98.his car uses the torsen diffmso limited slip adetive doesnt help any.i had no pastlife but im ase certified in this one
Good info, thanks!