Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diff cover..does it really help a stock 10 bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Diff cover..does it really help a stock 10 bolt???

Anyone with an opinion?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Diff cover..does it really help a stock 10 bolt???

If you have a stick shift and run it hard alot, it's going to break. I broke mine with an LPW Rearend Support Cover and I wasnt even hooking. Thats in a weak LT1 too. It will help a little bit.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A4 here..
Old 05-13-2003, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-If- your failure mode is related to the pinion /
carrier "walking" up, because the pinion bearing
caps are too weak, then a cover that adds preload
will help you. But, losing teeth from plain old
shear/shock loading, or failures inside the Torsen
chunk, are not going to be helped even by a pinion
bearing cap of infinite strength so a cover is
not a help there. It improves one class of failure.

What the dominant class of failure is, depends on
your gear (higher numerical ratios get progressively
weaker in the teeth), the power split across the
Torsen, whether it's the tires or the guts that slip
first, etc.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With an A4, you probally wont break it. Then again, it depends on how big of a converter you have, the weight of the car, you have a convertible, so thats something to think about. The automatics get away with it for alot longer. You might want to do all the things you can to help the stock rearend and see how long it lasts. If you are thinking about a power adder or a TH-350 with a transbrake, then get a 12 bolt, if not, hold off for now, see how long it takes it. It might last awhile, it might grenade next time at the track, the automatic's get by alot easier.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:19 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't waste the money with an A4. The rear end is pre-loaded already, so there is much less "shock" on the drivetrain when launching hard or driving around town. Spend your money elsewhere...

Josh
Old 05-14-2003, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Speeds8er and Damian to a point. I know several people who run stock 10 bolts behind (what I consider) a LOT of power. H/C/I cars with a bottle, in other words.

I had been doing the same, but last night mine let go WITH a TA Girdle, N/A. I bought the car with the rear end the way it was, so I don't know about the quality of the install, but I've got a feeling it had been starting to go for a while. Right turns had been pretty loud virtually since I bought the car.

Anyway, here's a pic I snapped this morning. I won't be tearing it apart to see what happened until I find it's replacement.

This was in a pretty much stock weight convertible with a cage, and a 3800 stall converter.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

ouch- that is brutal.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy ****! Maybe the guy before you cut alot of donuts? I couldnt picture anything going through one of those covers, I thought if nothing else, they would be good for that. That sucks! If there was already a noise, then something was probally already hurt, the spider gears, posi and cross pin broke in mine.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure it didn't have an easy life before I got it, but I'd really never even THOUGHT about it taking out the girdle. I guess this gives me a good reason to try out an 8.8 Ford rear end, anyway. Once that goes in, I'll make sure to post up in here about it's durability as well.

Just for the record as well, two of my good friends consistently run LOW 11's on stock 10 bolts, including nitrous launches. Neither one has had any problems yet, but it may just be a matter of time. I just wish I was that lucky.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just tore down my stock ten bolt to get some parts off it. My car has 13k miles and has never been run without the stock Firestone tires. The mains on one side of the posi were about to come loose! They were tighter than hand tight, but not much. I figure they were stretched or fatigued at some point, and probably would have let go pretty soon. Get the cover.

-Geoff
Old 05-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what killed my rear... Two bolts came out, one got ground up and another hit the inner housing and cracked it.

I'm rpelacing it with a nice 10 bolt, with HD axles and slightly cambered for roadracing.. The diff will be a T2R unit.. I will be maintaining this unit alot better, so hopefully i'll be able to catch a next failure before it happens.. I don't plan on doing any drag racing anymore, just autox and open track and street. If it breaks again, I'm going for a 9" and hopefully will get someone to figure out how to get 3 channel abs to work.

I just tore down my stock ten bolt to get some parts off it. My car has 13k miles and has never been run without the stock Firestone tires. The mains on one side of the posi were about to come loose! They were tighter than hand tight, but not much. I figure they were stretched or fatigued at some point, and probably would have let go pretty soon. Get the cover.

-Geoff