Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Moser M9 rear with Moser torque arm!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Jerrywho
This 42 lb. less is total B.S. Now lets try to find where that 42 pounds less is. The axles are the same. The center section, or third member, is the same. The bearings are the same. And for the rear end housing, the housing ends are the same. The axle tubes are the same. So, the only difference is the torque arm, and the center of the housing. The torque arm has as much tubing and rod ends as a spohn torque arm. So no real weight savings on the torque arm. So the only place you will save weight is the torque arm mount and the center area of the rear end housing. Now lets look at the moser M9 housing. It is made out 1/8' thick steel with a 3/8' thick face plate welded to it. This is no major weight savings. So at best its 5 or so pounds lighter due to the lighter style of torque arm mounting to the housing.

Jerry
Jerry, I can certainly attest to the fact that this new housing is a lot lighter, as is the removal of a lot of weight from the torqie arm bracket. When my new M9 housing arrived, I picked it up and carried it around much easier than the standard Moser 9 inch. Bob
Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324

More options added to the M9 package. Bob
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Jerry, I can certainly attest to the fact that this new housing is a lot lighter, as is the removal of a lot of weight from the torqie arm bracket. When my new M9 housing arrived, I picked it up and carried it around much easier than the standard Moser 9 inch. Bob
Please just WEIGH back to back, a new M9 housing vs. the same width standard Moser, then the old vs. new torque arm & bracket.

That way, you and all others can stop pulling numbers and opinions out of the air. I, too, am very skeptical of the 42#'s lighter quotes, but I would love to be PROVEN wrong. I have thought about a 9" to replace my 12-bolt to make it easier to change gears for different classes I run (1/8th-mile vs. 1/4-mile, and 9" tire limitations vs. not limited).

However, until I see actual apples-for-apples weights that are backed up by physically and properly measuring and comparing, my money sits at home. Not trying to throw stones, but nobody is gaining anything but postcount on this one at the moment. Once everyone agrees with what the weight differences are, people will be a lot more understanding and open to purchase these from you or whoever.

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 11-14-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Please just WEIGH back to back, a new M9 housing vs. the same width standard Moser, then the old vs. new torque arm & bracket.

That way, you and all others can stop pulling numbers and opinions out of the air. I, too, am very skeptical of the 42#'s lighter quotes, but I would love to be PROVEN wrong. I have thought about a 9" to replace my 12-bolt to make it easier to change gears for different classes I run (1/8th-mile vs. 1/4-mile, and 9" tire limitations vs. not limited).

However, until I see actual apples-for-apples weights that are backed up by physically and properly measuring and comparing, my money sits at home. Not trying to throw stones, but nobody is gaining anything but postcount on this one at the moment. Once everyone agrees with what the weight differences are, people will be a lot more understanding and open to purchase these from you or whoever.

I'll be picking up an M9 next week that I am shipping over to Kuwait. I'll weigh it and report back. Bob
Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We're going to take a scale and a camera with us when we go over to Moser to pick up the M9 that is getting shipped over to Kuwait. We should be able to get weights on many various rear-end assemblies when we're there. Bob
Old 11-17-2007, 07:00 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2901

New Power TV video. Bob
Old 11-22-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Very nice
Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Adam_346
Very nice
Thanks! My son picked up a M9 yesterday over at Moser for a customer in Kuwait. We will be fully assembling this rear, so we'll be able to get weights on the housing and axles, alum center with a spool, and the assembled rear. The axles for this rear are 40 spline and are gun drilled and star flanged. This rear also got the optional Wilwood brakes, so we can also weigh this rear with the brakes installed, plus we can weigh the M9 torque arm and trans crossmember.
Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 11-24-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

I'm really liking what I'm seeing and don't give a damn about 42lbs or 47lbs.

I'm 6'0" at 150!

What is recommended for an M9 street car? I could car less about noises I just want to keep my TSP duals and have decent drive ability....

I'm only making 440RWHP, but I'm old enough to know that I can't do a 12-bolt.

I want to do it right the first time and be done with it when I build a new short block.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by deejaydaze
I'm really liking what I'm seeing and don't give a damn about 42lbs or 47lbs.

I'm 6'0" at 150!

What is recommended for an M9 street car? I could car less about noises I just want to keep my TSP duals and have decent drive ability....

I'm only making 440RWHP, but I'm old enough to know that I can't do a 12-bolt.

I want to do it right the first time and be done with it when I build a new short block.
I would go with the M9 housing axle package, the link is here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324
I'd go with a Truetrac, so you'll want 31 spline axles.
You won't need a backbrace unless you're going to be pushing over 700 hp. My opinion, for what it's worth. For the added $140.00, I'd do the backbrace just so you have it done for any future plans.
I'd go with having the anti roll bar brackets installed, as well as the lower control arm relocation brackets.
Powercoating is up to you, you could spray bomb it if you like.
The gun drilled and star flanged axles will make it lighter, it's up to you if you want to spend the money.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1346
Here is the center section with Pro Street gears and the Truetrac center section. You have an option of going with an alum center section that removes 14 lbs. It's up to you.

Thanks for inquiring. Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

M9 w/ 31 spline $1,900.00
Backbrace $140.00
Powercoated black $250.00
BMR Anti Roll Brackets $50.00 (still debating if i need this)
Lower Control Arm Brackets $100.00 (still debating if i need this)
Standard Axles
M6 crossmember

Case w/True Trac & Gear $1,440.00
31 spline
Nodular Case
3.70 Gear

Shipping to 32746 $26.86 UPS Ground

$3,906.86

Moser 9 inch $2,400.00
31 spline
4 channel w/ exciter rings $200.00 (new to the game...why is it bad to reuse)
Nodular case
3.70 Gear (What kind?)
Drain plug $35.00
Powdercoat Finish $250.00
Shipping to 32746 $9.95

$2,894.95

Can I get a 10-4? Is that right?

Trying to figure out what I would be limited with by the old 9 and the M9...also like to use my LCAs and panhard..
Since they are non adjustable...I dunno if I can use them with either 9 inch

Last edited by deejaydaze; 11-25-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:03 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

You can reuse the exciter rings. I see where you have the 4 channel called out on the standard Moser 9 inch, but not on the M9. Bob
Old 11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the price for a M9 unpainted with a nodular iron center section, standard street gear, 40 spline spool, gun drilled axles, 5/8 studs, with a back brace (uninstalled) and with the panhard, lower control arm and shock brackets included but (uninstalled)?

I noticed the torque arm is mounted offset with the upper rear mount being closer to the center to give more room for the torque arm, that was a good idea, no more bashing trans tunnels.

Also can you see if you order it without the shock, lower control arm and panhard brackets installed if they will narrow it more than 3.5" I will most likely need one narrowed around 6-6.5" per side do to relocated mounting points.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:50 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrismorales75
What is the price for a M9 unpainted with a nodular iron center section, standard street gear, 40 spline spool, gun drilled axles, 5/8 studs, with a back brace (uninstalled) and with the panhard, lower control arm and shock brackets included but (uninstalled)?

I noticed the torque arm is mounted offset with the upper rear mount being closer to the center to give more room for the torque arm, that was a good idea, no more bashing trans tunnels.

Also can you see if you order it without the shock, lower control arm and panhard brackets installed if they will narrow it more than 3.5" I will most likely need one narrowed around 6-6.5" per side do to relocated mounting points.
Hi Chris, I'm in the Florida Key's this week, and today I'm forced to use dial up! My wife made me go, otherwise I'd be home in our beautiful Indiana grey gloom. If you go to my website, http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com you will see in the middle of the homepage a link to the Moser rear-ends. The M9 is there, and I have it set up with all the options. All the brackets can indeed be shipped loose, that is not a problem. If you ordered it from my website, you could include that in the note section. I don't know if I have the 5/8 studs as an option, if not, add that to the notes, there won't be an upgrade charge if I don't have the studs as an option. You will also need to put the length that you need the rear made to. Thanks. Bob
Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Bob, what are your thoughts on a gundrilled/star flanged 35 spline on the street? Some have said yes, while other only recommend star flanging. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John02SS
Bob, what are your thoughts on a gundrilled/star flanged 35 spline on the street? Some have said yes, while other only recommend star flanging. Thanks in advance.
I don't see gundrilling a 35 spline axle creating any problems for a street car. I'd have it done on mine. Bob
Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hi Chris, I'm in the Florida Key's this week, and today I'm forced to use dial up! My wife made me go, otherwise I'd be home in our beautiful Indiana grey gloom. If you go to my website, http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com you will see in the middle of the homepage a link to the Moser rear-ends. The M9 is there, and I have it set up with all the options. All the brackets can indeed be shipped loose, that is not a problem. If you ordered it from my website, you could include that in the note section. I don't know if I have the 5/8 studs as an option, if not, add that to the notes, there won't be an upgrade charge if I don't have the studs as an option. You will also need to put the length that you need the rear made to. Thanks. Bob

Yea, good one Bob!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Yea, good one Bob!
She actually persuaded me to go, saying I needed a break. I work 70+ hours a week and my wife gets worried about me. She scheduled this trip long before we had plans for going to Sema, and I had just got caught back up at the shop from that week... Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The Moser M9 rear is not designed to use a stock style torque arm. This rear was designed with different mounting points, and this is part of the key reason why I got a 1.29 60 ft time on M/T dot drag radials on the 2nd outing with my car! Bob
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm found something to add to the list!

Quick Reply: New Moser M9 rear with Moser torque arm!