Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pressing bearings on Moser 12 bolt axles??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003 | 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing bearings on Moser 12 bolt axles??

I got my 12 bolt last week and I'm getting ready to install it this weekend. What do I do with the seals that came with the rearend? The instructions say to put the caliper bracket on first, the bearing and then the press ring. It says if you have 98 or newer brakes you don't have to use the 1/8" shim. Is this seal what they are calling an 1/8" shim???? I need to know if I need to use the seals before the bearing cause it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions about it unless its the shim they are talking about. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 06-26-2003 | 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pressing bearings on Moser 12 bolt axles??

First: Put on your backing plates
Second: slide the axle bearing on the axle with the O-RING FACING TOWARD the WHEEL.
Third: Slide the press ring on now with "Press HERE" facing toward the inside of the rearend
Fourth: Press the bearing on with a shop press, nothing else. YOu'll press it up to that lip on the axle toward the hub
Fifth: Take the Ford 9" seals and insert them into the axle housing with the smooth rounded side facing toward the WHEEL. Tap it in with the right sized seal driver or a piece of pipe or large socket (about a 1 3/4" socket would do it) until it is flush with the inner most lip in the housing. Be sure the driver you use to tap the seal in place isn't so small that it damages the inner rubber ring on the seal.

Finally, slide the axles in and tighten those 4 nuts down to seat the axles in the housing.

You'll now have a leak free setup.
Old 06-26-2003 | 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Cannibal,

So are the seals I got with my moser the ones you are speaking of? I want to make sure I do this right the first time. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 06-27-2003 | 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Snap a pic of them, that's the only way I can tell for sure.
Old 06-27-2003 | 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help cannibal. Someone on ls1.com told me that moser started shipping these seals not long ago. They are the ones you are talking about. Thanks again for the help.

Steve
Old 06-28-2003 | 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

No problem, you're good to go then.
Old 06-29-2003 | 08:54 PM
Teching In

It doesnt really make a difference were you put the O-ring just put silicone on the facing before pushing in. Mine doesnt have an o-ring. Me and 2 buddies have done the majority of the 12 bolt installs in the sffba and just put some silcone on them and nver worry again. I have seen people buy new bearing over that stupid O-ring.
Old 06-30-2003 | 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you have the 1.562" ID Bearings then YES IT DOES MATTER what orientation the o-ring is in. In fact, they all matter if they have an o-ring on them. You will break the bearing if you install it with the o-ring toward the outside. Trust me, I have been through this more than you could imagine. Moser emphatically states that if your bearing has an O-ring on the race it MUST face toward the wheel of the car.

DO NOT install it any other way.
Old 06-30-2003 | 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, there are many differen't bearings for these axles. It depends on your spline and whether they are c-clip or non c-clip axles. The bearings that can have or not have an o-ring are the NAPA 88128R and these are the same as the 9508B that Moser sells with the o-ring. The 88128R doesn't have the o-ring though, but it doesn't matter as long as you seal them up with some RTV or the Ford 9" axle seals. The O-ring version, if used, must be installed with the O-ring facing the wheel, also.

If you have my axles, 33-spline, non c-clip axles with an axle OD of 1.565" then you can ONLY use the bearing Moser sells, it has a 1.562" ID and an O-ring that MUST be installed facing the wheel or it breaks the bearing.

With all of the hassle I have been through I know all the in's and out's for these things. If you follow what I said you won't have a problem. The latter poster is playing with fire if they orient the o-ring bearing toward the inside of the housing.

If you do it my way, you'll never have to worry about it again. Guaranteed.
Old 07-11-2003 | 09:50 AM
Teching In

Now another question for you.. I received these 9" bearing seals but no where in the instructions did it say what to do with them and they don't fit on the axle so I wasn't sure what to do with them so I didn't put them on.. Am I now screwed? BTW I got the c-clipless axles.

-Chris
Old 07-12-2003 | 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chris, scroll back up to my post where I outlined the instructions, under the Fifth step I detailed how you install those seals. Pull the axles out and install these. You're likely (very likely) to get leaks if you don't.

Quick Reply: Pressing bearings on Moser 12 bolt axles??