Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this normal for my rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is this normal for my rear end?

Tonight I jacked up one side of the rear to check for rotor runout. So anyway, as I'm turning the axle by hand, it's easy to turn, then hard, then easy, then hard, etc...I don't think it was the brakes dragging, though I can't be sure. Now I think I remember this being normal, but just not sure. Can someone tell me for sure?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

if you only jacked up one side of the vehicle meaning one tire off the ground and u could spin your rotor that easy your posi is getting weak. you shouldn't be able to spin one wheel.. or at least thats what i was tought
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk
if you only jacked up one side of the vehicle meaning one tire off the ground and u could spin your rotor that easy your posi is getting weak. you shouldn't be able to spin one wheel.. or at least thats what i was tought
Thanks for the help, but I think that's not how it works. The way limited slip works (or posi-traction or trac-loc or...) is that it DOES slip easily(relatively?) until you apply an amount of torque which forces the clutches in there to engage, "locking" the rear end so power goes to both tires. So it slips as you coast around corners, but if you give it power it locks up leaving those two cool black marks in the road. That's all why they call it limited slip.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

yeah except there is no way you should be able to apply enough torque to one wheel to make it slip. when its on the ground and the weight of your car is on it then it will slip. but anyway thats just my 2 cents dude
Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Hopefully someone on here can tell me for sure??
Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Jack up both wheels. You either have runout on the rotors and they are catching the brake pads or your posi is binding and releasing while rotating. Also it would be a good idea to disconnect the driveshaft while you are testing to ensure you are not getting any resistance from the trans.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

lol Jeff is the MAN! definitely one of the smarter sponsors of the bunch. Definitely knows his stuff.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Jack up both wheels. You either have runout on the rotors and they are catching the brake pads or your posi is binding and releasing while rotating. Also it would be a good idea to disconnect the driveshaft while you are testing to ensure you are not getting any resistance from the trans.

Jeff
Thanks. Yeah I'm doing my rotors and pads in a few minutes because they are warped. I'll see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll be sure try the other things you mention. Thanks very much. Jay
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

No problem let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

So just to be clear, if everything is working correctly, if I jack up one side with the car in neutral, the wheel should spin freely right?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Thanks for the help, but I think that's not how it works. The way limited slip works (or posi-traction or trac-loc or...) is that it DOES slip easily(relatively?) until you apply an amount of torque which forces the clutches in there to engage, "locking" the rear end so power goes to both tires. So it slips as you coast around corners, but if you give it power it locks up leaving those two cool black marks in the road. That's all why they call it limited slip.
with a tight posi you physically can't turn 1 wheel independently of the other....when my malibu rear was out of the car with 2 tires on to move it around, i had to pick it up and turn to go any direction but straight because it has a tight eaton unit in it

you're thinking of a locker
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SickboyT/A
with a tight posi you physically can't turn 1 wheel independently of the other....when my malibu rear was out of the car with 2 tires on to move it around, i had to pick it up and turn to go any direction but straight because it has a tight eaton unit in it

you're thinking of a locker
You may or may not be right, but it doesn't seem so. 100% of the time my tires break loose, it's both of them. I can tell because the *** end slides out so easy. I've had non LSD cars and trucks and you can barely get it to kick out on ice. So the clutches definitely grip.

Anyway, after I got the brakes off, it seemed much smoother. You know how it goes, you have one problem with your car, and ten things make you think, "is this normal?". Another thing that seems a little wierd is how much play I can roll my tire forward before the drivetrain stops it.

But whatever, I just put on my new rear rotors and ceramic pads, and it feels great and smooth, especially under braking when it used to shudder pretty bad. Only thing is now they feel a little funky in that they seemed to let off and the abs pulsed under "moderate" braking. I put moderate in quotes because with the rotors so warped before I had to stomp them to get good action, whereas now I think it feels wierd because they work too well so the abs has to kick in so much sooner. I'll see better tomorrow.

One wierd thing is my e-brake isn't working now, wasn't expecting that. Maybe I have to adjust it to the new rotors now that I think about it. Is it like old school that I put on the ebrake and go in reverse or what?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

You cannot really compare a old used worn out positraction to a new positraction as far as tighness and firmness. A new positraction, even though being tight will still have a break away point where it will break loose. A used positraction will break loose much easier and sooner due to things like worn clutches or springs.

ShooterJay, you need to pull your emergency brake up and down a few times to adjust the e-cable so it works.

Jeff
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
You cannot really compare a old used worn out positraction to a new positraction as far as tighness and firmness. A new positraction, even though being tight will still have a break away point where it will break loose. A used positraction will break loose much easier and sooner due to things like worn clutches or springs.

ShooterJay, you need to pull your emergency brake up and down a few times to adjust the e-cable so it works.

Jeff
Yeah thanks, it was already working great by the time I pulled out of the garage this morning.