Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the oil seperating catchcan on the 2010 SS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing the oil seperating catchcan on the 2010 SS.

Here is a picture of the intake manifold after 900 miles:

Here is the lower bolt on the tensioner where the bracket mounts:

Bracket & can bolted to the tensioner:

Approx. 5" of the hard plastic line is removed here:

And here where the outlet connects to the intake manifold vacuum nipple:

And the finished install:

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn thats alot of oil after so few miles! clean install
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So GM still can't figure out how to make a proper PCV system? Odd considering my old 3800 doesn't have PCV and oil-sucking issues even after 100k miles.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who makes that kid, i was thinking about fabbing something up come spring time,, but if there is a reasonable pre-made kit?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So GM still can't figure out how to make a proper PCV system? Odd considering my old 3800 doesn't have PCV and oil-sucking issues even after 100k miles.
Have you had the intake off to get a good look?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
who makes that kid, i was thinking about fabbing something up come spring time,, but if there is a reasonable pre-made kit?
Thats the RevXtreme kit, $99.95 from LS1Tech Sponsors HinsonSupercars.com or ByunSpeed.com or PM me for others.

The carbon fiber finish adds $100 to it.

Originally Posted by ecmoman

You would see quite a bit! I've torn down many over the years and have always found a coated intake AND valves & pistontops with way to much carbon build-up.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, no, that's true. But my oil level doesn't drop noticeably over 4000 miles so it can't be that much.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Well, no, that's true. But my oil level doesn't drop noticeably over 4000 miles so it can't be that much.
It's a fact that ALL car engines have pressure build up that needs to be relieved. Some more than other. Obviously LS engines are in the more than others category along with pretty much all FI'd cars. Think of this as more of a preventative maintenance thing, like changing your oil regularly. Is it 100% necessary to do this? No, but a $100 one time cost is pretty minor for keeping your intake, pistions, valves, etc free of oil. Is it 100% necessary to change your oil every 3-5k miles? No, but we do it for peace of mind that we are keeping our engines in tip top shape to the best of our abilities.

The one listed by TLewis looks like a nice setup. You can find them a little cheaper but this one also has a nice bracket that fits your camaro already.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

It's a fact that ALL car engines have pressure build up that needs to be relieved. Some more than other. Obviously LS engines are in the more than others category along with pretty much all FI'd cars. Think of this as more of a preventative maintenance thing, like changing your oil regularly. Is it 100% necessary to do this? No, but a $100 one time cost is pretty minor for keeping your intake, pistions, valves, etc free of oil. Is it 100% necessary to change your oil every 3-5k miles? No, but we do it for peace of mind that we are keeping our engines in tip top shape to the best of our abilities.

The one listed by TLewis looks like a nice setup. You can find them a little cheaper but this one also has a nice bracket that fits your camaro already.

Good info & I agree except the ones for less are nothing but an empty can with 2 fittings in them....they WILL catch oil, but about the same as a beer can w/2 fittings does. The Saikou Micchi & RevX are the only two with the perforated dispersion tube and the RevX has a seperate disc baffeling system and a seperate outlet chamber as well as the integrated PCV/checkvalve.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

do any of them have a drain petcock on the bottom?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Good info & I agree except the ones for less are nothing but an empty can with 2 fittings in them....they WILL catch oil, but about the same as a beer can w/2 fittings does. The Saikou Micchi & RevX are the only two with the perforated dispersion tube and the RevX has a seperate disc baffeling system and a seperate outlet chamber as well as the integrated PCV/checkvalve.
Yes I forgot to mention that the majority of the cheaper ones aren't really catchcans but overflow bottles.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
do any of them have a drain petcock on the bottom?

The RevX has a easy drain valve on the bottom. Every oil change you just crack it open & drain.

Quick Reply: Installing the oil seperating catchcan on the 2010 SS.