Sponsored by:

It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Wrong
Can you show us a new SS that ran 10's within even a month of production release? I'm positive it could happen... Did it? I'm not concerned about the 1st couple days... It's safe to say that didn't happen, regardless of possibilities.

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I was referring to being in the 10's within 24 hours of delivery Although, I can see how it can easily be misinterpreted.
I can't... It may have been a compound sentence, but it wasn't a difficult sentence.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by It'llrun

I can't... It may have been a compound sentence, but it wasn't a difficult sentence.
That's because you only see what I typed, and not what was in my mind, lol.
Obviously the original was not as clear as I had intended in my mind. I will edit it for the sticklers
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

There is absolutely nothing cost effective about boring and stroking, especially in a N/A combination where you want all parts to "match" to get the most out of them.
After bolt ons, everyhting else goes out the window anyways. It turns into "who can spend more on modding thier car".

Stock manuals are running into the mid 12s at ~112 and I have seen a stock auto that ran 12.73 at 115.x. The car is lighter and putting 370-380 to the tire bone stock. It is certianly worthy of some "hype".

a stock auto trapping 115? are you sure?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you show us a new SS that ran 10's within even a month of production release? I'm positive it could happen... Did it? I'm not concerned about the 1st couple days... It's safe to say that didn't happen, regardless of possibilities.
I'm pretty sure it was close. OrangeChevyII did it in the summer last year. He was the first to the 10's if I'm not mistaken. Shot longblock. No head work, cam or bottom end work at that time.

But who really cares about when it was ran. Does it magically make it faster? If you guys are just too naive to see these cars are very close stock or modded then I don't know what to tell you. Are you too hard headed to see the facts?

Edit: It was august.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/2010-cama...-2010-10s.html

I was referring to being in the 10's within 24 hours of delivery
Although, I can see how it can easily be misinterpreted.

Obviously, I know stock internal cars of all different varietys have run into the 10s, certainly not as quickly though
I did misinterpret that. The cars have been in the hands of shops for almost a month though.

Last edited by Dark SS; 05-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
Dark SS and AdmiralB, they just came out a day ago and already in the 10's. You know for a fact that the same cannot be said for the 2010 SS. Come on You cant be that biased bro, if that's not the case then You are just in denial. It is what it is... PERIOD. Bore diameter. stroke, C.I.D. etc... Doesnt mean crap. Its just gonna get faster. This is just the beginning. I own GM's but Im not that ignorant and hard headed to be so biased. No matter what You think, it's tail light city for the new SS. Im done with this thread. P.S. its okay for someone to be faster than You. You're just gonna have to accept it cause thats life.
Oh boy, this post makes a ton of sense. First off the car has been in the hands of shops for almost a month. They have been in the 10's for about a week. I'm just failing to see a GT that is faster than a tested SS. It just seems the learning curve has been a lot shorter for the GT. I posted this on another forum, I don't know why people really didn't test the limits of the SS when it came out. There is a handful of owners actually pushing the SS and it is performing just as amazingly as the GT. You can't find a stock SS tested on just D/R's still to this point. I guess since I follow the SS I know what it is capable of. The GT is an impressive car, especially compared to the car it replaces. I just don't see how it's an automatic lock to embarrass an LS3 SS. Most of you in this thread take it as that I'm not impressed with the 5.0 and that's not the case. I have been saying all along that it's a drivers race and it still is. It's OK for someone to be faster, there are a lot of people out there faster than me. But this is a true battle, not a one sided fight.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Oh boy, this post makes a ton of sense. First off the car has been in the hands of shops for almost a month. They have been in the 10's for about a week. I'm just failing to see a GT that is faster than a tested SS. It just seems the learning curve has been a lot shorter for the GT. I posted this on another forum, I don't know why people really didn't test the limits of the SS when it came out. There is a handful of owners actually pushing the SS and it is performing just as amazingly as the GT. You can't find a stock SS tested on just D/R's still to this point. I guess since I follow the SS I know what it is capable of. The GT is an impressive car, especially compared to the car it replaces. I just don't see how it's an automatic lock to embarrass an LS3 SS. Most of you in this thread take it as that I'm not impressed with the 5.0 and that's not the case. I have been saying all along that it's a drivers race and it still is. It's OK for someone to be faster, there are a lot of people out there faster than me. But this is a true battle, not a one sided fight.
Clearly you're mistaken because the GT is already in the 10's and if you get a new car into the 10's this quickly it means that it has way more potential than a car that took longer to get into the 10s!! Might as well just go trade your SS in and face defeat.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Since we're not really on topic anyway... Thought I'd bring this either back up, or up for the 1st time.
Originally Posted by ArcticMissile
http://www.insideline.com/2011-ford-mustang.html

2011 Mustang quicker than the 2010 Camaro SS??? Edmund's begs to differ.

2011 Mustang GT: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.3 @ 107.3

2010 Camaro SS: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.1 @ 110.4
I never fully read the story till tonight and I've been reading way too much lately... But the article I see now(in your link) says the 2011 GT ran the 1/4 in 13.0 @110.6...

Originally Posted by redbadss
Hmm... Seems to me even with 5.0 the GT still needs the track pack to beat the SS. The SS even pulled higher gs at .89 compared to the GTs .87. Interesting article....

The SS to me sounds like a better value for what you're getting.
Same as above, but the 2011 GT pulled .91 g's on I/L's 200' skid pad... the 1992 Mustang GT pulled a .88 on M/T's 300' skid pad.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

The more I read this thread the more Im starting to wonder. My idea of bone stock may not be everybodys idea of bone stock. Bone stock to me is rolling that bad boy off the show room floor and taking it strait to the track. Whatever it runs that night is what this car runs bone stock. Bone stock is not a drop in K&N filter a tune and or a set of gears. Let me give you an example.
There is a video of a walk around of the same yellow SS to prove it's stock. The stock record on the Camaro SS is a 12.5 and that's a fact, so far the GT is a 12.6. It's a damn close race.
First off how does a walk around prove a car is stock? How would you see any of the mods I just listed? Never mind its a private youtube video. The yellow SS I watched a couple of pages back ran a 12.6 impressive time absolutely. But I ain't buyin that that car is fresh off the showroom floor bone stock. If the SS was a bone stock mid 12 second car you'd be reading about it all over the place just like you can for the GT right now. There would be videos and more importantly countless articles backing that up. GM would be ramming that fact down fords face just like fords ramming it down there's. The only place I read that are in the forums.

Now, I'll agree it is close race and it woudn't take much to very quickly level the playing field but bone stock its more than a drivers race. Thats my opinion you ain't gotta agree with it. A little bias you may be, thats cool some of us are but at some point all 2010 camaro owners are gonna have to deal with the reality that there carrying around 250lbs of extra weight. Now maybe these guys are figuring out how to get the weight down and still go out and call the car stock. That may be I know guys that do that. Now if they can figure out how to get some extra weight off the car, sure I'll buy mid 12s then.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

How can you call all of these 5.0's stock then. You weren't there to see it. How does an internet post or a magazine article prove it was stock. They could be just as modified as you claim the SS was. Just because multiple shops, yes shops not actual people, are running high 12's that doesn't mean everyone will. Please show me a link to an actual Ford document that rates the 5.0 @ 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. Where is Ford shoving it down GM throats? It seems like you along with a lot of people in this thread are living on a one way street. I now most of you are pissed that the 5th gen weighs so much but it still runs very impressive numbers. Now maybe I am more brand loyal than you but please show me a vid or a time slip of a 5.0 running faster than a 12.58 stock. If the 5.0 ran a 12.2 stock I could see everyone's point but that doesn't exist. Why can't people see past the weight and look at actual performance numbers?

Originally Posted by Johns00Z28
Clearly you're mistaken because the GT is already in the 10's and if you get a new car into the 10's this quickly it means that it has way more potential than a car that took longer to get into the 10s!! Might as well just go trade your SS in and face defeat.
Thank you for adding this little snippet of bullshit. Perhaps you should trade in your LS1 for an LS3 since they have been out for a shorter time and posted a faster number. I fail to see how throwing nitrous, bolt-on's and full suspension is leaving room for improvement. Obviously the 5.0 will run faster with more mods. The 5th gen has had multiple cars in the 9's already. What point is being proven??

Last edited by Dark SS; 05-28-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Launching!

How can you call all of these 5.0's stock then. You weren't there to see it. How does an internet post or a magazine article prove it was stock. They could be just as modified as you claim the SS was. Just because multiple shops, yes shops not actual people, are running high 12's that doesn't mean everyone will. Please show me a link to an actual Ford document that rates the 5.0 @ 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. Where is Ford shoving it down GM throats? It seems like you along with a lot of people in this thread are living on a one way street. I now most of you are pissed that the 5th gen weighs so much but it still runs very impressive numbers. Now maybe I am more brand loyal than you but please show me a vid or a time slip of a 5.0 running faster than a 12.58 stock. If the 5.0 ran a 12.2 stock I could see everyone's point but that doesn't exist. Why can't people see past the weight and look at actual performance numbers?

Thank you for adding this little snippet of bullshit. Perhaps you should trade in your LS1 for an LS3 since they have been out for a shorter time and posted a faster number. I fail to see how throwing nitrous, bolt-on's and full suspension is leaving room for improvement. Obviously the 5.0 will run faster with more mods. The 5th gen has had multiple cars in the 9's already. What point is being proven??

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in Johns00Z28's post...

Oh, and I agree about the one sided argument, especially these moron GT500 fanboys who can't envision GM coming out with a product that will beat their beloved car. But, but, they can just turn up the boost on the GT500, then GM better watch out. That is the stupidest crap I ever heard, they refuse to see that whatever trick Ford does, GM can do the same. They also conveniently forget that GM is starting with a larger displacement engine. With ultra lightweight wheels, and an aluminum block, and an M6, the new GT500 still weighs 3820lbs. A Z28 equipped with an LSA and a few weight saving measures will be within 50-100 lbs of that, including an IRS rear, so I fail to see how GM is so far off on the weight. Tighten the suspension and the Camaro will waste the mustang on the track and still ride nicer on the street too. I think the Ford fanboys are jumping all over every win they can find with this 5.0 because they realize that if GM makes a few tweaks to the detuned LS3, they will have lost any advantage they have.

Last edited by rayhawk; 05-28-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Why does it matter when it was done, rather if it was done. I just don't understand what the big deal is with the Mustang getting to the 10's faster than the Camaro. That whole deal was just Evolutions obsession with being "the first to the 11's and 10's!". I think its funny that somebody under-cut them and beat them to the 10's honestly.

All that it was for Evolution, was media hype, they did the same thing with the GT500. Could a 2010 SS go tens with Bolt-ons, gears, bogarts and 100 shot like JPC did; absolutely. OrangeChevyII did it without gears and with 18" drag radials out back on regular Z06 Wheels. Whether it happened one day or two months after the release of the car it really doesn't matter one bit. I'm not sure why nobody pushed this car hard right at release, I think it's mainly because people already knew the potential of the LS3 and didn't see a need to push it immediately.

Last edited by Camaro Z; 05-28-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Your absolutley correct, I wasn't there to see it. With that said, although some can be bias I would tend to believe a write up by a respected magazine over someones "bone stock you tube video". And before you go there no, I don't believe everything I read in magazines either. However, based on my own reseach I believe the numbers support the claim of a bone stock 12 second GT. And when I say 12's I am speaking of high 12's. This 12.6 you keep throwing around is MM&FF's claim. Now are they a bunch of liars, I guess thats possible we'll have to see. I doubt it but Im sure that'll be your argument. Will all GT's run 12's? Again we'll have to see, we know for a fact all the 2010 SS's aren't. All Im saying is the numbers support the claim.

It ain't about being a ford fan boy, im not. I have no plans to buy one, its about keeping it real. We know damn well if this SS was 250lbs lighter it too would be a CONSISTENT mid to high 12 second car all day regardless of who was driving it and this wouldn't even be a discussion.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh boy, this post makes a ton of sense. First off the car has been in the hands of shops for almost a month. They have been in the 10's for about a week. .
Evolution Performance has had theirs for close to a month, and started off seeing how fast they could go N/A. Then they Dynoed on the spray and announced their intentions to go to the track within the next couple days. JPC racing then went and bought a retail car, and brought it straight to the shop where they installed a spool, gears, exhaust, spray, etc. The next day, the went to the track in an attempt to be the first one in the 10s with the new car and succeeded. Evo went the following morning and did the same thing. JPC literally had their car for less than 24 hours when they ran 10s.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayhawk

Yeah, I think I did. It was late and I was tired. I apologize.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you guys are just too naive to see these cars are very close stock or modded then I don't know what to tell you. Are you too hard headed to see the facts?
I'm definitely not trying to add any fuel to the fire, but I think alot of this "fanboyism" surrounding the new 5.0 is merely backfire from there being so many people on this site beforehand that felt that the new 5.0 would never run toe to toe with the LS3 SS.....either stock OR modded. That seems to be what's causing the largest amount of feather ruffling these days.....that some people out there are proving that the new GT CAN get it done....and without a blower even. It's not something any of us are used to seeing quite honestly, and I think it's causing a big rift between the loyalists and the realists.

I agree with you whole heartedly.....these two cars are capable of giving each other all that the other can handle at the track....stock or modded. Some people are always going to want to crown one car the winner over the other, but I honestly see this one as being too close to call that definitively. I still prefer to take the wait and see approach. We'll start seeing privately owned 5.0's hitting the tracks and posting times as the year moves on.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

There have been several magazines, along with shops cars, showing the new GT in the mid 12's...Ford doesn't need to produce documentation any more than GM. Magazines, not to mention shops looking for business, aren't going to modify a car and then race it, just to show off... The shop would be losing business in no time and more importantly, losing money. Why would ANY shop modify a car before racing it, to show how they can improve upon the vehicle's performance? And why would a magazine waste the money to trick anyone? Are they all on Ford's payroll? I'm sure they're not.

And what "Shop" actually races a car? It seems to me that those cars are being driven by people... yes, people, not shops. People drive cars, buildings do not. Buildings can house, protect or even damage a vehicle, but they cannot actually drive one... Stupid argument, period. And no, while you may believe that all shops have pro drivers at their beck and call, almost zero shops actually have such a driver. I'm only guessing here, but my GUESS is that more than 99% of all vehicle owners are also the person who races their cars.

I'm not arguing against the performance of the new SS. I think the two are very close, and do believe the GT has more advantages when stock... That said, I'm not going to knock the new GT just because it's not a GM product and I don't care what website we're on, I don't expect others to either. THAT is the epitome of "fanboy" all alone.

My thinking is, when the temps cool down and people get more seat time, don't be upset to see new GT's clicking off 12.4's... stock. It may never happen, but considering how cars typically react to cooler air, I'm hardly going to be surprised to see a car just like the one which ran 12.58 managing quicker times when it's 30 or more degrees cooler outside, particularly with adequate seat time. I suspect gearing other than 3:31 may prove helpful too, and they apparently offer 3.55's or 3.73's.

The Mustang is still lighter, and lacks only about 15hp on paper... RWHP seems to be even closer, and the 3 hundred pound difference may really show up in better conditions, depending on "as run" weight. Some drivers are heavier than others, some will have their baseball gear or school books in the car...

As for seeing past weight alone, okay... To that end, the Mustang stops shorter, skid pad's better and seems, according to those who've driven both on track, apparently handles better, despite it's SRA(which I find to be an incredible advantage anyway). IRS is great, for street driving... On the track, a well balanced and properly adjusted SRA car has been a proven performer for decades. And frankly, I personally believe Ford got this right, period. The common Mustang buyer WANTS an SRA, not IRS and I suspect most, of not close, Camaro owners would opt to stick with a good SRA as well, particularly if GM set it up like Ford does.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Why does it matter when it was done, rather if it was done. I just don't understand what the big deal is with the Mustang getting to the 10's faster than the Camaro. That whole deal was just Evolutions obsession with being "the first to the 11's and 10's!". I think its funny that somebody under-cut them and beat them to the 10's honestly.
Normally it doesn't. It only matters here because the claim was made that it's "WRONG" that someone ran 10's so quickly in the new GT, whereas nobody did it so quickly with the 2010 SS. That was apparently claimed by mistake, but not knowing he made a mistake, I addressed his comment as if he didn't.

Evidently people already knew the potential of the new 5.0... and they went out to show everyone else in short order. So far so good. Doesn't matter to me because I have no intention to go buy a new car and I have the ability to appreciate cars no matter what. I've HAD to walk before, so I ain't gonna complain about whether or not a car runs 12's on the 1/4 mile... I want want that COMPLETES the 1/4 mile and continues to run while I get wherever I'm going. My race car sits unoccupied nearly 100% of the time... I couldn't care less what other cars do. All that matters to me is they're NOT sitting somewhere blocking traffic!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Launching!

I'm still happy with my GTO.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rayhawk

Oh, and I agree about the one sided argument, especially these moron GT500 fanboys who can't envision GM coming out with a product that will beat their beloved car. But, but, they can just turn up the boost on the GT500, then GM better watch out. That is the stupidest crap I ever heard, they refuse to see that whatever trick Ford does, GM can do the same. They also conveniently forget that GM is starting with a larger displacement engine. With ultra lightweight wheels, and an aluminum block, and an M6, the new GT500 still weighs 3820lbs. A Z28 equipped with an LSA and a few weight saving measures will be within 50-100 lbs of that, including an IRS rear, so I fail to see how GM is so far off on the weight. Tighten the suspension and the Camaro will waste the mustang on the track and still ride nicer on the street too. I think the Ford fanboys are jumping all over every win they can find with this 5.0 because they realize that if GM makes a few tweaks to the detuned LS3, they will have lost any advantage they have.

Its nice that you know so much about are car that isn't built yet. You should be aware of a few things about the 2011 Shelby however. The 2011 Shebly just ran 2.58.48 at VIR [see Video] this is a 9 sec improvement over the 2010 Shelby To give you perspective The 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ran 2:58.2 and the 2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport ran 2:58.8. The 2009 Cadillac CTS-V ran 3:04.0. The 2007 Lotus Exige S ran 3:04.5. The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS ran 3:09.5. So I wouldn't Depend on the not yet to be built Z28 to " waste the mustang on the track" I'll be surprised if it out runs the C6 Z06.

2011 Shelby VIR

VIR Times

Last edited by FOG52; 05-28-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FOG52
The 2011 Shebly just ran 2.58.48 at VIR [see Video] this is a 9 sec improvement over the 2010 Shelby
Um... WOW!

Quick Reply: It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro