Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly the non-track pack mustangs run 12.7's, how can it not be way ahead of an LS1 SS? There seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence here as to how fast the 5.0 is. The mustang guys always have an excuse for why the Camaro wins. Lol, the track pack would hurt the mustang over 100mph, not help it.

Not to mention you say that car doesn't have the track pack but it clearly has brembo brakes and 19" wheels.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FOG52
The owner owns both cars. The Mustang doesn't have the drag pack. The Mustang had 8 miles on the odometer. The SS dyno'd 330whp. The Mustang was ahead until 100mph and lost about a 1/2 - 1 car. But yes the SS won....this round. Your Grandpa must have been a good guy.

The Mustang Source
Haha he still is he bought the mustang new in 66 and has kept it when I turned 16 he gave it to me and I went through the drivetrain and did a complete rebuild...He still drives it when he visits lol. And for the drag race that really surprised me maybe the cars are closer than we think lol
Old 05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Supposedly the non-track pack mustangs run 12.7's, how can it not be way ahead of an LS1 SS? There seems to be a lot of conflicting evidence here as to how fast the 5.0 is. The mustang guys always have an excuse for why the Camaro wins. Lol, the track pack would hurt the mustang over 100mph, not help it.

Not to mention you say that car doesn't have the track pack but it clearly has brembo brakes and 19" wheels.
They Brembo package [$1695]and the 3.73 gear [$395] are different options.

That is interesting just where does it say the 3.31 gear cars run 12.7. I have not seen that.

Actually because of the torque range the curve and red line the 3.73 would be helpful throughout the quarter mile. Remember this is a 6 speed transmission.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

They Brembo package [$1695]and the 3.73 gear [$395] are different options.

That is interesting just where does it say the 3.31 gear cars run 12.7. I have not seen that.

Actually because of the torque range the curve and red line the 3.73 would be helpful throughout the quarter mile. Remember this is a 6 speed transmission.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83834

If the SS didn't pull away till 100mph like you say then it would have been at the back end of the quarter mile where 3.73's wouldn't help. Not to mention these cars ran from a roll where the lower gear would be better.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83834

If the SS didn't pull away till 100mph like you say then it would have been at the back end of the quarter mile where 3.73's wouldn't help. Not to mention these cars ran from a roll where the lower gear would be better.
I have not seen that car was a 3.31 car. I suspect it would have been even faster with 3.73s. It looks like its going to be even worse than I thought for the Camaro guys.

Have you ever gone from 3.31 to 3.73's in a Mustang because I have and the difference is noticeable. The guy was running 18 wheels instead of 19 which also can reduce his gear ratio. I run 4.10's in my 07 GT and the difference is very noticeable. I guess the engineers don't know what they are doing offering a 3.73 drag pack. In 2010 GT 500 went to 3.55 gears and the 2010 are significantly faster than the 07-09 were.

Anyway I think the 2011 being beat by the LS1 is giving LS1 guys false hope. Here is what the owner of the SS and the Mustang said. Of particular interest is pages 6 and 7.

LS1 owner

The whole thread including dyno

Last edited by FOG52; 05-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should take all these great dyno and quarter mile numbers with a grain of salt. It's a drivers race. If you don't think so than go check out the fast list on Camaro5. You mustang guys are creating a huge ego bubble that I can't wait to personally burst. Are there as many Camaro owners trolling on themustangsource as mustang trolls here in the last month or so? Just curious.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Launching!

i looks like the camaro comes back an beats the guy buy more than 1/2 a car. hell the guy in the mustang even took the hit, the ls1 started off a car back. im thinkin that the ls1 made up the car back an put another 1.5-2 cars on the stang. not to bad for a stock ls1 car against a moded from the factory car .
Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I think you should take all these great dyno and quarter mile numbers with a grain of salt. It's a drivers race. If you don't think so than go check out the fast list on Camaro5. You mustang guys are creating a huge ego bubble that I can't wait to personally burst. Are there as many Camaro owners trolling on themustangsource as mustang trolls here in the last month or so? Just curious.
LOL Check this thread on SVT out. Notice the OP's post count. Thread

Time will tell but if I were running a stock Camaro SS I would be looking into mods right now. Talk about egos I get a chuckle every time a Camaro SS kid thinks his car is fast enough to try a GT 500. Its happened several time they are always looking for a race. I have raced a few just because I wanted to see how they run. About three weeks ago I raced a Blacked out 2010 with black wheels and white letters on the hood that said supercharged. He said it was putting down over 550 to the ground. Perhaps he is on here the last letters in his vanity plate was 2SS and he was in the Grapevine area. Anyway his car looked great but the supercharger decal on the hood looked out of place and tacky. The car looked great blacked out but the sticker ruined the look. I raced him because he had a supercharger. Anyway on SVT there are lots of Chevy guys and you are more likely to see both sides of the picture. I like both brands of cars and have own several chevys also.

Last edited by FOG52; 05-18-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by c5formula
i looks like the camaro comes back an beats the guy buy more than 1/2 a car. hell the guy in the mustang even took the hit, the ls1 started off a car back. im thinkin that the ls1 made up the car back an put another 1.5-2 cars on the stang. not to bad for a stock ls1 car against a moded from the factory car .
You need to read the comments from the owner of both the SS and the GT he posted this thread. ITS HERE!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both cars are stout, and both look good (SS is a sharper dresser imo ), and both will show potential in modding. It's really nice to see the muscle car wars back on, give us knuckle heads something to chat/bicker about
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Both cars are stout, and both look good (SS is a sharper dresser imo ), and both will show potential in modding. It's really nice to see the muscle car wars back on, give us knuckle heads something to chat/bicker about
Yes. Young people have no idea what we went through growing up in the late 70s/early 80s where there were no good cars coming out of detroit. Pony cars were all sub 200hp hunks of junk pretty much. We did have access to the 60s and early 70s muscle cars for modding, but the power levels there were nothing like they are today without making them very unstreetable.

Last edited by enginjoe; 05-18-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

I still don't believe the 5.0 will respond to modds the way the LS3 can - it doesn't have the displacement.

Does anyone know what the stock flow numbers of LS3 heads vs the 5.0 4 valves? It just seems to me that, without spending a lot of money modding the 4v 5.0, the LS3 with a cam and bolt-ons will be making more power (especially torque under the curve).

Anyone else thinking this?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I still don't believe the 5.0 will respond to modds the way the LS3 can - it doesn't have the displacement.

Does anyone know what the stock flow numbers of LS3 heads vs the 5.0 4 valves? It just seems to me that, without spending a lot of money modding the 4v 5.0, the LS3 with a cam and bolt-ons will be making more power (especially torque under the curve).

Anyone else thinking this?
I think you are probably correct .... after all size matters. With 1.2 liters more the LS engine will be to pump more air at a given rpm [not considering the possibly more efficient head design]. But a 1.2 liter advantage is big and hard to overcome with a just a better head design. I doubt they will respond to Cams as well as the larger LS engine. I would be looking at a FI mod for the 5.0 to be a popular mod.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Yes. Young people have no idea what we went through growing up in the late 70s/early 80s where there were no good cars coming out of detroit. Pony cars were all sub 200hp hunks of junk pretty much. We did have access to the 60s and early 70s muscle cars for modding, but the power levels there were nothing like they are today without making them very unstreetable.
VERY true!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is so true, was exactly my time growing up.

Even with the raw power some of these older cars had, they got terrible fuel economy, handling and braking was inferior to today, still not as fast as todays cars.

Today's cars are better than ever... This is a great time to be a car enthusiast. Let the rivalry carry on.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

I think you are probably correct .... after all size matters. With 1.2 liters more the LS engine will be to pump more air at a given rpm [not considering the possibly more efficient head design]. But a 1.2 liter advantage is big and hard to overcome with a just a better head design. I doubt they will respond to Cams as well as the larger LS engine. I would be looking at a FI mod for the 5.0 to be a popular mod.
I agree, but say someone goes FI on an LS3 vs the new 5.0? Would be interested in what similar supercharger/turbo setups will make on each one.

Does the 5.0 have a forged bottom end?

And yes, it is a great time to be a car enthusiast! If only my truck was paid for and I could pick up a ZR1
Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ZR1 would work for me. I also like the Cadillac CTS-V.
Eventually the new Camaro Z28 will be available.

I like cars that are easier to work on and easier to mod.
The mustangs with thier long timing chains, dual overhead cams and
4 valves per cylinder are not going to be easy or cheap to mod.

The Mustang and Charger may be nice cars but I likes my GM.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I agree, but say someone goes FI on an LS3 vs the new 5.0? Would be interested in what similar supercharger/turbo setups will make on each one.

Does the 5.0 have a forged bottom end?

And yes, it is a great time to be a car enthusiast! If only my truck was paid for and I could pick up a ZR1

The crank is forged but the rods I have read yes and no so I don't know. The Pistons no. I think Ford should have went Forged all the way and charged a little more. The 2010 Supercharged Camaro I raced said he was putting over 550 to the ground.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish the 2010 GT didn't look bad. I'd add it to the garage with the 2010 SS.

Sadly I just cant get over the rear and side of the car. Car looks like it comes "pre-wrecked" to me where the body lines meet on the rear 1/4 panel.

Sounds like it will run well. Cant wait to run into them on the street. Hope they have a few mods!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Add me to the list of old farts that knows exactly what you are talking about.

1976 455 Pontiac Trans Am, ran low 16's in the quarter.
Mustang II.............ugh, those were some bad days.

Quick Reply: It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro