Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Will there be a Z28 Camaro model? What do you think?
Yes, a supercharged version
42.86%
Yes, a more powerful naturally aspitated version
21.10%
Yes, but probably all cosmetic with no additional power
5.52%
Maybe... not really sure
11.69%
Probably not
18.83%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: The possibility of a Camaro Z28 model

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
LOL thats funny

not because i think it would, just how confident you are in something that hasnt been done or tested for any amount of time in the hands of consumers

The LSA was flogged on the Nring before GM sold it here.
It shares many parts with the ZR1. Yes, they are weaker but that doesn't mean the engine will blow up.

BTW, spend some time on the caddy forums, the LSA is doing fine.

Which modern FI engine has GM put out that breaks?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by triggerjerk
The LSA was flogged on the Nring before GM sold it here.
It shares many parts with the ZR1. Yes, they are weaker but that doesn't mean the engine will blow up.

BTW, spend some time on the caddy forums, the LSA is doing fine.

Which modern FI engine has GM put out that breaks?
i'd wait a few years to say its doing fine; many problems take a couple years to show themselves

once theyve had some miles put on them modded i'll agree
Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BayareaCobra
You know all I did was point out GM's current financial troubles and how that would, (IMO) stop GM from producing a high powered Z28 Camaro. Yes, all car companies are doing bad, but GM is doing the worst, I'm sorry that upsets you but it's a simple fact. They are the only car company to receive a HUGE bailout from the govt, they also claim they're going to need billions more through the next couple years to stay afloat. People got all bent out of shape when I posted the obvious truth simply because I now own a Ford.

It's a fact that the Mustang has always outsold the Camaro, it's a fact that GM had to stop producing Camaros and GTOs due to sales.
To clearify a few things, GM is not doing worse than companies like Chrysler (depends on how you look at that one), but Suzuki, Subaru (Subaru is now detached from any new GM technology), and Mitsubishi are in trouble. One of those three is struggling to keep profits at the million dollar mark, I don't recall which one, or something along those lines, I don't recall. They'll be doing a lot worse than GM before long.

While GM did bring the Fbody's death on themselves, through lack of advertisement, in addition to refusing to give them a real makeover, interior and out, the GTO was only meant for a 3 year run, they stopped the Holden Monaro in Australia as well. GTO sales were not great, but they stopped due to the Monaro ending production.

Mustangs have outsold the Fbody pair, true, but it wasn't a landslide like it was with the 4th gen. Other generations of fbodys were in the 100,000 mark in the decades past
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Never said the motor sucks, just stated my personal experience with both platforms. How much power are you making with your LS Camaros? You obviously think you know the reliability of Cobras and high HP Camaros, so you must have owned both right?
So based on your one case with an LS motor and one experience from a cobra motor you can draw that conclusion? As far as the power I am making with my LS motor it is 480 RWHP NA. And before you say well obviously you dont like FI that is not the case. It is just that NA suits my needs much better for what I am doing being more of road track car than a drag race car. Like I have said have 2 friends that own terminators and have we have more in our local car club and we have people that have FI LS motors and have no problems whatsoever making over 5xx RWHP with barely any boost at all. I have had no problems with my LS motors and you can say thats because I am going NA and not pushing the motor as hard but for a NA LS1 camaro to put out 480 RWHP is pretty decent.

And by the way GM has made a pony car that out performed the terminators your just talking about the Z-28, SS, Trans-am, and Formulas. Think more along the lines of ZL-1, Berger, Intimidators.

Last edited by Brandon Smith; 02-03-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

I want a Z28 that is what my '68 Z28 is

no convertible Z28 ... period

stripes standard, manual trans standard, beefed rear, bigger brakes, Z/28 emblems, maybe a different hood (slightly taller cowl)

just let me have blue (I'd like my cars to match)
Old 02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hc8719
To clearify a few things, GM is not doing worse than companies like Chrysler (depends on how you look at that one), but Suzuki, Subaru (Subaru is now detached from any new GM technology), and Mitsubishi are in trouble. One of those three is struggling to keep profits at the million dollar mark, I don't recall which one, or something along those lines, I don't recall. They'll be doing a lot worse than GM before long.

While GM did bring the Fbody's death on themselves, through lack of advertisement, in addition to refusing to give them a real makeover, interior and out, the GTO was only meant for a 3 year run, they stopped the Holden Monaro in Australia as well. GTO sales were not great, but they stopped due to the Monaro ending production.

Mustangs have outsold the Fbody pair, true, but it wasn't a landslide like it was with the 4th gen. Other generations of fbodys were in the 100,000 mark in the decades past
Those other car companies don't have as much overhead as GM, regardless if they turned less profits. GM needs the biggest govt bailout of any other car company, they needed billions already that no other car company has received just to stay afloat. I agree that every car company is doing bad, however, GM is doing the worst right now! My argument simply goes towards the possibility of high HP specialty cars being produced anytime in the near future..

Originally Posted by Brandon Smith
So based on your one case with an LS motor and one experience from a cobra motor you can draw that conclusion? As far as the power I am making with my LS motor it is 480 RWHP NA. And before you say well obviously you dont like FI that is not the case. It is just that NA suits my needs much better for what I am doing being more of road track car than a drag race car. Like I have said have 2 friends that own terminators and have we have more in our local car club and we have people that have FI LS motors and have no problems whatsoever making over 5xx RWHP with barely any boost at all. I have had no problems with my LS motors and you can say thats because I am going NA and not pushing the motor as hard but for a NA LS1 camaro to put out 480 RWHP is pretty decent.

And by the way GM has made a pony car that out performed the terminators your just talking about the Z-28, SS, Trans-am, and Formulas. Think more along the lines of ZL-1, Berger, Intimidators.
My 402 made 497rwhp N/A as well, and I wasn't talking about 5XXrwhp or how much boost it takes to make a certain amount of power. Boost is only a measure of restriction, it doesn't equate to one setup being more reliable than another. I was talking about BIG power and long term reliability. You wanted to compare it to the GT500 motor that has already proven to reliably make 800-1100rwhp on a completely stock engine / internals. I simply stated what the GM engineers said about the motor and my personal experience and experiences of others. Since I own a Ford you guys got all bent out of shape.

The ZL-1, etc were extremely rare production cars lol. The SVT line-up produced more than 10,000 cars a year, not 10. There are all sorts of extremely limited Mustangs as well, (Saleen Extreme 550hp+, Cobra Jet 427, (3200lbs and 500hp+), GT500KR 725HP super snake, Roush Stage III, etc).

Last edited by BayareaCobra; 02-03-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you had a problem with your motor or the way it was put together because I have been making that power level for over 50,000 miles and have had no problems even after i stroked my LS1 taking it to a 383 zero problems so sounds like something wasnt right on yours. There is a reason LS motors have become one of the most popular swap motors in the world hmmmm because they are reliable and make a bunch of power
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you had a problem with your motor or the way it was put together because I have been making that power level for over 50,000 miles and have had no problems even after i stroked my LS1 taking it to a 383 zero problems so sounds like something wasnt right on yours. There is a reason LS motors have become one of the most popular swap motors in the world hmmmm because they are reliable and make a bunch of power
Umm I said that's what it put down N/A, if you read my post I said I wish I would have left it N/A, (it probably would've been a lot more reliable long term). The motor was built for nitrous though and had a healthy shot, the motor was done right and I had a great tuner. I know quite a few people who have run into problems when making BIG power with a power adder on LSX motors after 15-20K miles. No, I'm not talking about a measly 500rwhp, if I had my Formula dialed in at the track it would have been an easy 9 second full weight car.

It made the power, and all seemed well, but my argument is about what the GM engineers said and long term reliability for a factory FI car. If you go on the Corvette forums people will talk about how they have a power adder on their stock C6 Z06s running low boost and it's perfectly reliable. The problem is they aren't coming to you after 20-30K miles. GM saw the issues and opted for the 6.2L motor, and even then went through a lot of measures to make sure it was reliable at stock power levels for the long run.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I read that the GT 500 internals held up to a little less than 800rwhp before letting go. That has happened more than once before having to be built and these cars have forged internals. I like how you say 500 RWHP is measly for a NA car i would tend to think that is pretty good. Curious as to what size shot you had on your car?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

I read that the GT 500 internals held up to a little less than 800rwhp before letting go. That has happened more than once before having to be built and these cars have forged internals. I like how you say 500 RWHP is measly for a NA car i would tend to think that is pretty good. Curious as to what size shot you had on your car?
Directport 175shot. FYI, for every GT500 that has let go at 800rwhp there is an LSX motor letting go at 500rwhp. I know plenty of GT500s making 800rwhp+, go on the GT500 forums and see for yourself. There are far more running past that level than the one that recently blew up at 800rwhp.

500rwhp is measly when you're in a 4000lb car BTW. Weather it's N/A or not, that's the bottom line.

BOOM! Here you go, for all the people who said I was hating and trolling.

General Motors scraps high-performance division

There goes the possibility of a Z28. GM just took billions more from the government and they want MORE.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11730199
Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you Captain Obvious. We are all aware of GM's situation. GM needs billions of dollars.

GM is in bad shape right now. I think antagonizing a pro-GM website, with "GM cuts high performance" link in 32 font is enough.

Try and make yourself productive now please
Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Getting away from the Ford vs Chevy war here....

Z28 should be a smaller displacement, high rpm, track suitable car.

First gen SS cars were the big block, huge horsepower straight line cars.

IMO, it should stay this way. And I hope that it does and I hope that it can
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hc8719
Thank you Captain Obvious. We are all aware of GM's situation. GM needs billions of dollars.

GM is in bad shape right now. I think antagonizing a pro-GM website, with "GM cuts high performance" link in 32 font is enough.

Try and make yourself productive now please
Well I was called a hater, troll, "numbnut", etc; for pointing out the obvious well before this news was released. Now that it's a fact I'm captain obvious.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was called a hater, troll, "numbnut", etc; for pointing out the obvious well before this news was released. Now that it's a fact I'm captain obvious.
Haha! Sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

To add to the size 32 font, wasn't only a few years ago that FORD scrapped SVT!?!?!?!?!?

And they still make go fast cars as I am sure GM will, or whatever new company name they call themselves if they file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy....here's hoping that won't happen!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
To add to the size 32 font, wasn't only a few years ago that FORD scrapped SVT!?!?!?!?!?
yes, svt was scrapped and able to produce the gt500 in a matter of months upon its revival lol

and at this point its starting to look like the best thing gm can do is declare bankruptcy; its the only way to break the union's back.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Directport 175shot. FYI, for every GT500 that has let go at 800rwhp there is an LSX motor letting go at 500rwhp. I know plenty of GT500s making 800rwhp+, go on the GT500 forums and see for yourself. There are far more running past that level than the one that recently blew up at 800rwhp.

500rwhp is measly when you're in a 4000lb car BTW. Weather it's N/A or not, that's the bottom line.

BOOM! Here you go, for all the people who said I was hating and trolling.

General Motors scraps high-performance division

There goes the possibility of a Z28. GM just took billions more from the government and they want MORE.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11730199

looks like I'm keeping my 4th Gen after all. I feel ill; NOT b/c i will prob be keeping my camaro, but b/c i think the new era of "performance cars" will be 4cyl turbo econo-box FWD cars now, or maybe hybrids with massive batteries...
Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

88blackgt - your response was the point I was trying to make exactly....maybe read a little closer
Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
88blackgt - your response was the point I was trying to make exactly....maybe read a little closer
sarcasm
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Touche! I just hope that Ford, Dodge, and GM can stick it out to make the cars we compare to each other so often!!

Quick Reply: POLL: The possibility of a Camaro Z28 model