Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 SS at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think that we will see mid 12s from stock cars. Take all these low 13 second cars and let them run in the north east this fall and they will be high 12 second cars. When my Cobra was three days old I went 12.6@113 on the third pass. That car made 273 RWHP and was 3700 with me in it. The Camaro makes about the same power and is about 200 pounds more.
I say that in the fall we will see 12.6 @ 113 from a dead stock car.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
its sad.....but the reading this thread doesnt look good. The car is over weight. The g8 is better and less money. The vette is often less money and way better. People talk about inflation from the 4th gen to the 5th gen to justify teh cost....well the 04 ctsv was around 55k......the 09 blown ctsv....56k........
Your numbers are quite a bit off...
The 04 CTS-V was $51,000 base, while the 09 CTS-V is $61,000 base.
The new camaro was over 4000 according to wormboy with him in it. Thats heavy. Thats not a sports cars.
The Camaro was never a sports car, and is not intended to be one.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
im trying to point out that people have his problem with just about EVERY car that comes out on the market... chargers, gtos, cobras, fbodys to an extent, etc etc etc.... the list goes on... like i said wait 6 months till you say it wont do something..
How about you wait until one actually runs a 12.4 stock before you say it can run a 12.4 stock. Just an idea.

the cobra is doing the same thing.. just on a TAD bit smaller tire... im not comparing the cars... im giving another example of a car that "couldnt do a lot of things" when it came out.. now it can..
When the Cobra came out it was with a blower, didn't weigh 4000 lbs and didn't have 20" tires. People expected great things from that car and ultimately were not disappointed. Apples to Oranges IMO.

yes way... nobody ever knows the true price of these cars.. just cause they were cheap now, doesnt mean they were then.. i never saw a fully optioned ws6 for 30k... you cant put "haggling" in there, im talking sticker prices with no haggling.. the average for a full option ws6 would 34kish... little less little more depending on year.. do some research.
I did the best research there is. Back around 2000 or 2001 I was in a Pontiac dealership looking at the WS6 in the showroom. It had a sticker price of 31K and they were willing to negotiate. I also had a chevy dealership try to sell me a new Z28 for about 23K. I passed on that however and finally bought the Formula in my sig. I'm not saying some people didn't get ripped off and pay 34K. I'm saying the smart ones knew they didn't have too.

So don't tell me what I know

i dont race in the heat, insane altitude, or spin on street tires.. i know not eeryone is Smith.. and im taking that into consideration.. but come on, low 13s?
I race in whatever I have to in order to race. Now if it's ninety and humid I'm not going to the track. But if it's 80 I can either race and have fun or wait for September and be bored all summer.

12.9-13.1 will be repectable times for this car given all the handicaps you have to deal with. 12.6-12.8 will be great times showing what good weather and a great driver can do. "IF" anyone hits a 12.4 it'll show what an Evan Smith clone can do with good DA.

Meantime I'll still be watching all the ones at my local track run low, mid and even high 13's. To me that's the difference between internet times and real world times. I know people have run 12.8-13.1 in stock LS1's. But I always see them run 13.4-13.8 in the real world. Unfortunately Evan Smith hasn't visited NYIRP when I was present

Last edited by darrensls1; 06-01-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
How about you wait until one actually runs a 12.4 stock before you say it can run a 12.4 stock. Just an idea.

When the Cobra came out it was with a blower, didn't weigh 4000 lbs and didn't have 20" tires. People expected great things from that car and ultimately were not disappointed. Apples to Oranges IMO.

I did the best research there is. Back around 2000 or 2001 I was in a Pontiac dealership looking at the WS6 in the showroom. It had a sticker price of 31K and they were willing to negotiate. I also had a chevy dealership try to sell me a new Z28 for about 23K. I passed on that however and finally bought the Formula in my sig. I'm not saying some people didn't get ripped off and pay 34K. I'm saying the smart ones knew they didn't have too.

I race in whatever I have to in order to race. Now if it's ninety and humid I'm not going to the track. But if it's 80 I can either race and have fun or wait for September and be bored all summer.

12.9-13.1 will be repectable times for this car given all the handicaps you have to deal with. 12.6-12.8 will be great times showing what good weather and a great driver can do. "IF" anyone hits a 12.4 it'll show what an Evan Smith clone can do with good DA.

Meantime I'll still be watching all the ones at my local track run low, mid and even high 13's. To me that's the difference between internet times and real world times. I know people have run 12.8-13.1 in stock LS1's. But I always see them run 13.4-13.8 in the real world. Unfortunately Evan Smith hasn't visited NYIRP when I was present
I'm confused so you're only concerned with the driver and not the capability of the car in question?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427C5
Congrats.
Agreed it's a good looking car. After all black, I think your combo is the best looking from the factory.

What do TBSS's really weigh at the track in both AWD and RWD trims?
Can you weigh and post your new Camaro SS as well to compare?
Thanks.

At least with the TBSS, you get 4 doors, a ton of room, and the option for AWD. I only wish it had the 4L60 or 4L80 from the factory and IRS.
The G8 is the only option I can stomach with the weight.

Seeing the car amongst other vehicles is the only way to appreciate how ahead of its time, it appears to be.. In person it's stunning, something that when the new Mustang or Challenger came out never accomplished.

TBSS's weigh between 4760 (mine 2WD sunroof, pwr seats, loaded, the stripper ones are about 150lbs less) depending on the weight reduction, up to just over 5-5100lbs with driver's (180lbs & AWD Loaded TBSS)

Only complaint about the truck is it gets real bouncy cruising at speed on anything other than a wash board hwy. G8 can cruise at 120 and even on shitty road feel smooth, the TBSS is like a buggy on a cobblestone street lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you agreed with just about everything i said..

Originally Posted by silplu83
I'm confused so you're only concerned with the driver and not the capability of the car in question?
he summed up my response perfectly..
Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

you agreed with just about everything i said..
That's your rebuttal? Did you run out of arguments for my logic?

We don't agree on 12.4 being easily obtainable, we don't agree on $34K Fbodies being normal, we don't agree on high 12 seconds being the "average" time for 2010 Camaros and we don't agree that the Cobra and the Camaro are basically the same.

We don't agree on much do we

Originally Posted by silplu83
I'm concerned with how much harder it is for any driver to get a good 60' and ET. The car is too heavy, too expensive and too hard to launch. I doubt 12's will ever be common place. Not because the car doesn't have the power (clearly it does) but because it's soo difficult to put that power to the ground.

That doesn't make it a bad car. It's a great street car. But it does make it a bad choice for drag racing at a track.

Last edited by darrensls1; 06-02-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

How about for those who want to stick with their 4th gen F-body but want the power of the 5th gen camaro and either don't want or can't afford to pay the full $38k for one to just spend a fraction of that amount upgrading their 4th gen to able to whip a stock 5gen camaro AND C6.

I know nothing about drag calculations, but I suspect even a stock LS2 thrown into a 4th gen F-body would make it up to par with the new Camaro.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

2010 Camaro SS at the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxLlJi3tq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrR8QI9iaQ

Still can't get over the styling of the 5th gen. I'd get it for a daily driver, but if I wanted a racer, I'd just go with the Vette for a little more.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody that can afford drag radials will be able to run 12's in this thing.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's your rebuttal? Did you run out of arguments for my logic?

We don't agree on 12.4 being easily obtainable, we don't agree on $34K Fbodies being normal, we don't agree on high 12 seconds being the "average" time for 2010 Camaros and we don't agree that the Cobra and the Camaro are basically the same.

We don't agree on much do we

I'm concerned with how much harder it is for any driver to get a good 60' and ET. The car is too heavy, too expensive and too hard to launch. I doubt 12's will ever be common place. Not because the car doesn't have the power (clearly it does) but because it's soo difficult to put that power to the ground.

That doesn't make it a bad car. It's a great street car. But it does make it a bad choice for drag racing at a track.
no, i had plenty to say... your arguing with yourself, no need for me to help..
never once did i say 12.4 was easily attainable.. i said ONE 10 camaro will hit it... just like ONE cobra hit it, just like ONE fbody hit 12.8.. bit difference there.. i believe i remember you saying something like 31-32k? thats within 2k dollars... i said almost everything..
i have repeated myself over and over that the camaro and cobra have nothing in common on platforms.. their weight power cost and what was said about them when they very first hit the market was the same.. again big difference..
if you would pay attention this would be much easier and i wouldnt have to repeat myself 5-6 times...

too expensive? have you looked at the price of the other cars in its class? its one of the cheapest/fastest/best handling ones you can buy.. how is that over priced?
it has hits 112mph trap speeds.. it has the power and can hook it.. its the drivers that cant manage to do it right NOW... give it a few months so they can learn the/their car..

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
How about for those who want to stick with their 4th gen F-body but want the power of the 5th gen camaro and either don't want or can't afford to pay the full $38k for one to just spend a fraction of that amount upgrading their 4th gen to able to whip a stock 5gen camaro AND C6.

I know nothing about drag calculations, but I suspect even a stock LS2 thrown into a 4th gen F-body would make it up to par with the new Camaro.
you have fun throwing a cam in to beat a c6.... or bolt ons to beat a camaro.. im going to buy a c5z.... the fbodys are old news... dated.... even if it is as fast/faster.. who gives a ****? they are pieces of crap... and until someone rides in a *NICE* *FAST* car, they have no idea what its like..

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
2010 Camaro SS at the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uxLlJi3tq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrR8QI9iaQ

Still can't get over the styling of the 5th gen. I'd get it for a daily driver, but if I wanted a racer, I'd just go with the Vette for a little more.
look at the headwind, altitude, and the temp.... even if he could drive it.. it wouldnt have mattered..
Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Launching!

btw..... dont call it a ram air model an fbody "elite"

all ls1s run about the same time... the ram air models are no faster than the base models..
I ripped a 12.9@109 in my 02 Hawk.(345HP Package).So basically a t/a with lid and catback.

I saw my first 5th gen on the street. The front looks good. The rear...I'm not liking it. For 37k though, i would shop for a used GT500 or a 135i/335i.

They will get faster as time progresses though.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I ripped a 12.9@109 in my 02 Hawk.(345HP Package).So basically a t/a with lid and catback.

I saw my first 5th gen on the street. The front looks good. The rear...I'm not liking it. For 37k though, i would shop for a used GT500 or a 135i/335i.

They will get faster as time progresses though.
and stock base models have gone that fast... while hawks have also gone slower... like i said, an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1..

blah on the gt500... about the same speed only ones a mustang...

that you are right on!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

I'm keeping my 06 GTO. Appears peformance is too close to make the switch.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PonchoGoat
I'm keeping my 06 GTO. Appears peformance is too close to make the switch.
way off on that one charlie..
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

you have fun throwing a cam in to beat a c6.... or bolt ons to beat a camaro.. im going to buy a c5z.... the fbodys are old news... dated.... even if it is as fast/faster.. who gives a ****? they are pieces of crap... and until someone rides in a *NICE* *FAST* car, they have no idea what its like..
C5 Z06?

My suggestion was directed towards those strictly looking for a faster 4th gen F-body to be able to compete with a 5th gen camaro at the track. Obviously, this hypothesis declares their preference for what they have regardless how outdated some may feel.

Besides, even if they are as bad as you say, they're evidently still fancy enough to have their driver's seat grace the buttocks of a car expert such as yourself. lol

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 06-03-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

no, i had plenty to say... your arguing with yourself, no need for me to help..
But you've been such an active participant. And from what I've seen this isn't the first time.

never once did i say 12.4 was easily attainable.. i said ONE 10 camaro will hit it..
Speculation at this point.

just like ONE cobra hit it,
Camaro is not a Cobra even though they do both start with C

just like ONE fbody hit 12.8.. bit difference there..
That was a miracle pass that would be hard pressed to ever be duplicated IMO. I'm sure the New Camaro will go quicker but I'm not sold on 12.4 like you are.

i believe i remember you saying something like 31-32k? thats within 2k dollars... i said almost everything..
It was 31K and I also said they were willing to negotiate. I could have bought that car for 28 or 29K if I had tried.

i have repeated myself over and over that the camaro and cobra have nothing in common on platforms.. their weight power cost and what was said about them when they very first hit the market was the same.. again big difference..
if you would pay attention this would be much easier and i wouldnt have to repeat myself 5-6 times...
I'm not the one comparing apples to oranges.

too expensive? have you looked at the price of the other cars in its class? its one of the cheapest/fastest/best handling ones you can buy.. how is that over priced?
I think a lot of cars are overpriced, not just the Camaro. But IMO the C6 is well above the Camaro and not that much more expensive if you shop around. If you can deal with a two seater it's a much better bang for the buck. Again, IMO.

it has hits 112mph trap speeds.. it has the power and can hook it.. its the drivers that cant manage to do it right NOW... give it a few months so they can learn the/their car..
Again, speculation. So far the hooking part is what everyone is having trouble with. And it's not hard to understand why.

Now Fbodies are crap? You just want to make a lot of friends here at LS1TECH Don't you? The new Camaro is a nice car. It's a fast street car people can have fun with. It's just not designed with straight line performance in mind. But that's why they changed to the zeta platform I suppose. They wanted to be less muscle and more luxury sedan.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Teching In

way off on that one charlie..
Let's see.....pay $10k over what I paid for the GTO for a slower heavier car with only slightly better frame & suspension components and almost equal horsepower? your right, what was I thinking.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Launching!

and stock base models have gone that fast... while hawks have also gone slower... like i said, an ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1..

blah on the gt500... about the same speed only ones a mustang...

that you are right on!
Blah??? Factory forced induction. WHen I had my 03 termi, i went up against a guy with a GT500. He was trapping 115-116 stock. and the guy could not drive for anything. The same day my terminator was trapping 109-110 again stock, for comparison.

Not to mention it still has a solid rear. If you like drag racing, GT500>new SS.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PonchoGoat
Let's see.....pay $10k over what I paid for the GTO for a slower heavier car with only slightly better frame & suspension components and almost equal horsepower? your right, what was I thinking.
I wasn't aware that high 12s @111 was slower than low 13s @ 108... And 400hp is almost equal to 430hp?