Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 SS at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
C5 Z06?

My suggestion was directed towards those strictly looking for a faster 4th gen F-body to be able to compete with a 5th gen camaro at the track. Obviously, this hypothesis declares their preference for what they have regardless how outdated some may feel.

Besides, even if they are as bad as you say, they're evidently still fancy enough to have their driver's seat grace the buttocks of a car expert such as yourself. lol
their fancy enough for my little happy *** for about another week... all my go fast parts just got sold.. should be off in the next week or so.. then the car is sold... then my C5Zo6...

dont get me wrong, i still love fbodys.. and always will... but they arent the nicest all aound cars... dont ride good... arent top dog for the money on power anymore... etc etc etc... they are old news now..

Originally Posted by darrensls1
But you've been such an active participant. And from what I've seen this isn't the first time.
Speculation at this point.
Camaro is not a Cobra even though they do both start with C
That was a miracle pass that would be hard pressed to ever be duplicated IMO. I'm sure the New Camaro will go quicker but I'm not sold on 12.4 like you are.
It was 31K and I also said they were willing to negotiate. I could have bought that car for 28 or 29K if I had tried.
I'm not the one comparing apples to oranges.
I think a lot of cars are overpriced, not just the Camaro. But IMO the C6 is well above the Camaro and not that much more expensive if you shop around. If you can deal with a two seater it's a much better bang for the buck. Again, IMO.
Again, speculation. So far the hooking part is what everyone is having trouble with. And it's not hard to understand why.
Now Fbodies are crap? You just want to make a lot of frinds here at LS1TECH Don't you? The new Camaro is a nice car. It's a fast street car people can have fun with. It's just not designed with straight line performance in mind. But that's why they changed to the zeta platform I suppose. They wanted to be less muscle and more luxury sedan.
what was that, i got distracted.. could you repeat yourself for me, please?

Originally Posted by PonchoGoat
Let's see.....pay $10k over what I paid for the GTO for a slower heavier car with only slightly better frame & suspension components and almost equal horsepower? your right, what was I thinking.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I wasn't aware that high 12s @111 was slower than low 13s @ 108... And 400hp is almost equal to 430hp?
you summed up that answer perfectly... will hand you your *** in the curves by a **** ton.. IMO and im sure many others, looks tons better( not saying yours doesnt).. high 12s@112... and same hp...

yea, same car basically..
Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponchogoat
let's see.....pay $10k over what i paid for the gto for a slower heavier car with only slightly better frame & suspension components and almost equal horsepower? Your right, what was i thinking.
lmfao@u
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut
lmfao@u
no no, you should be laughing at me... im the idiot that thinks the camaro is faster and handles better....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Teching In

makes me glad i bought an EVO lol
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
makes me glad i bought an EVO lol
it would **** me off...
hell you could just say "hello"... first thought that would come to mind for me is "****! why in gods name did i buy an EVO!?"
Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
I'll take this lack of a response as you conceding that I am right on all my points. You have a good day now
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Teching In

it would **** me off...
hell you could just say "hello"... first thought that would come to mind for me is "****! why in gods name did i buy an EVO!?"
what?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

it would **** me off...
Laugh it up. For the amount of work that most people will commit to the EVO isn't a bad choice.

A fbody can go further/faster in a straight line but like I said. Most people never dump that much money into their cars.

If you aren't going to be modding a whole bunch and you want to go around curves without attracting attention then the EVO IS A BETTER CHOICE. I would be willing to bet that many people on this board would be very happy with what an EVO could do for them.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll take this lack of a response as you conceding that I am right on all my points. You have a good day now
you can keep telling yourself that if you would like to.. i can see you dont understand very much, therefore i have nothing to say to you.. your definitely not open minded..
so, why bother?
btw, i still think your wrong on the same points as i did before... just look ^^^^^^ for my replies to the same things you said earlier..

what?
wasnt too hard to follow.. was just making a funny man, thats all.

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Laugh it up. For the amount of work that most people will commit to the EVO isn't a bad choice.

A fbody can go further/faster in a straight line but like I said. Most people never dump that much money into their cars.

If you aren't going to be modding a whole bunch and you want to go around curves without attracting attention then the EVO IS A BETTER CHOICE. I would be willing to bet that many people on this board would be very happy with what an EVO could do for them.
i will..

but i do dump money in my cars.. pretty much anything i own..

i care absolutely nothing for corners, never have, never will.. if someone can beat me in curves, more power to them... hell id say most people could beat me on my bike with them driving a car.. i DONT do curves.. i am straight line, PERIOD.
so, for me.. i would be pissed everytime someone said "hello"...

nothing towards evo owners, they just arent for me.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Teching In

you can keep telling yourself that if you would like to.. i can see you dont understand very much, therefore i have nothing to say to you.. your definitely not open minded..
so, why bother?
btw, i still think your wrong on the same points as i did before... just look ^^^^^^ for my replies to the same things you said earlier..

wasnt too hard to follow.. was just making a funny man, thats all.

i will..

i care absolutely nothing for corners, never have, never will.. if someone can beat me in curves, more power to them... hell id say most people could beat me on my bike with them driving a car.. i DONT do curves.. i am straight line, PERIOD.
so, for me.. i would be pissed everytime someone said "hello"...

nothing towards evo owners, they just arent for me.

even if you're a straight line guy, you can still do a lot more with a lot less in an EVO. a 500whp EVO will do 10's all day long with a good driver on street tires, and doesn't cost much money to get there. there was a guy that ran mid 11's with an EVO IX RS with less than $1000 in mods. it wasn't long before he was in the 10's, then eventually in the 9's, and still able to drive the car daily and road race if he wants. it's all about what you like though. the way you are with curves, that's how i am with straight line racing. if someone beats me in a straight line, fine. i prefer autocrossing/road racing because it's more focused on driver ability than the car itself. in drag racing, whoever dumps the most money into their car is going to win. i'd rather the win be up to me, not the car.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

I think I understand more then you on certain subjects. I have made clear, intelligent and substantiated arguments.

so, why bother?
Exactly. You can't prove me wrong when I'm not so why bother even trying?

And they are still just as wrong. Lets look at the facts:

1). Many LS1 Fbodies cost well under $30K when new. Z28's, Formulas and Trans Ams were all in the 20's. Even SS's and WS6's were upper 20's when negotiated properly.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/sele...et_camaro_2002

Fact.

2). Fully optioned WS6's, Trans Am's and SS's weighed just over 3500 lbs with Verts over 3600.

http://www.modernracer.com/pontiacfi...ransamws6.html

Fact.

3). New Camaro SS's have thus far been running quarter miles in the 13's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqGQOu31Hw

Originally Posted by Worm Boy
Ok guys, took the car out to Baytown, Tx last night to test our prototype cold air induction system. We did not have a weather station but I can tell you the humidity was high like always in the Houston summers. Temperatures were around 85* at night time. We made a total of 9 passes. 3 stock, 3 tune only, and 3 LMR CAI&TUNE. Here are the averages:

STOCK- 13.46 @109.01

TUNE ONLY- 13.25 @109.88

LMR CAI & TUNE- 13.09 @110.82
Originally Posted by 98warbird
Last night went to the local test and tune and was setting in line. I look to my right and what do I see a red SS sitting in tech. After I made my run I went to the stands to watch him. He bogged the hell out of his launch and ran 13.8 @ 105. He get's back in line and go's again well he launches a hell of a lot better and ran a 13.5 @ 109 but he f up his rear end and had to be hauled off on a roll back. The damn car did not even have plates on it yet. I wonder if this is happening alot.
Fact.

4). No 2010 Camaro has run a 12.4 showroom stock.

Until you provide a valid link this remains,

Fact.

5). The 2010 Camaro SS is not the same as a 2003/2004 Cobra.

This falls under the "duh" catagory but I'll say it one last time,

Fact.

My points are all intelligent. My points are all backed up with research and common knowledge. Yet you say I'm the closed minded one when you offer nothing to back up your position other then:

Do you see my point?

Last edited by darrensls1; 06-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

i will..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...rs-3k-lbs.html

What mods?

Just out of interest.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Teching In

a minority of bone stock GTOs have made it in the high 12s. visit LS1gto.com. Also, no V6 option for the Goat.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=427C5;11676662]
Originally Posted by BADD *** VHO

So, please tell us why anyone would spend $37k for a new Camaro when you could have a new C6 for $40k.
Man I would love to have a vette, and I know this wasn't posted towards me, but some people may be in the same situation I am, and need the two extra seats for the 2 kids I have.. other wise, I would be looking at getting a C6..
I want one bad, but the practicality of it doesn't work for me right now..
i like the looks of the Camaro, better than the G8, the G8 just looks Blah to me..
Every time I see one I just look at it like it's an other car.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

even if you're a straight line guy, you can still do a lot more with a lot less in an EVO. a 500whp EVO will do 10's all day long with a good driver on street tires, and doesn't cost much money to get there. there was a guy that ran mid 11's with an EVO IX RS with less than $1000 in mods. it wasn't long before he was in the 10's, then eventually in the 9's, and still able to drive the car daily and road race if he wants. it's all about what you like though. the way you are with curves, that's how i am with straight line racing. if someone beats me in a straight line, fine. i prefer autocrossing/road racing because it's more focused on driver ability than the car itself. in drag racing, whoever dumps the most money into their car is going to win. i'd rather the win be up to me, not the car.
i can believe you 1k dollars for mid 11s.... maybe not just 1k.. but close.... 10s cant be had for that little money in pretty much anything unless your spraying.. and 9s...

1). Many LS1 Fbodies cost well under $30K when new. Z28's, Formulas and Trans Ams were all in the 20's. Even SS's and WS6's were upper 20's when negotiated properly.
i have said at least once that im talking prices that are NOT negotiated.. that totally screws the whole thing up.. because i could neg. them to 22 and you could neg. to 18.. you have to take face value.. which is no neg... so no, i dont see your point... no i dont think you have been listening, no, i dont think you are right..

PRCls6 heads
ms4 cam
ported 90/90
full exhaust
weight reduction
etc etc etc..
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531115.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531107.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531071.flv

plenty of people on this board know my setup.. i dont have to speak for it nor prove itself....
Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

PRCls6 heads
ms4 cam
ported 90/90
full exhaust
weight reduction
etc etc etc..
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531115.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531107.flv
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=SD531071.flv

plenty of people on this board know my setup.. i dont have to speak for it nor prove itself....
Looks good dude.
Shame to sell it.

Good luck with the sale too. The sales section was mobbed when I was trying to sell mine.

I got rid of my Z as I was moving and other life BS. No time to work on cars ATM.

Totally understand wanting to get into a new platform as well.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good dude.
Shame to sell it.

Good luck with the sale too. The sales section was mobbed when I was trying to sell mine.

I got rid of my Z as I was moving and other life BS. No time to work on cars ATM.

Totally understand wanting to get into a new platform as well.
thanks man.. shes been good to me... hopefully at that price she will sell pretty quickly... cant wait to get into something new and start all over again..

i cant not have a toy for too long..
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

i have said at least once that im talking prices that are NOT negotiated.. that totally screws the whole thing up.. because i could neg. them to 22 and you could neg. to 18.. you have to take face value.. which is no neg... so no, i dont see your point... no i dont think you have been listening, no, i dont think you are right...
There is a difference between not thinking I'm right and not wanting to admit that I'm right.

Z28's, Formula's & TA's were all sticker priced in the 20's with some under 25K. That's sticker price now which is what you seem to be so hung up on. V6's were in the upper teens for sticker price.

Now look at the 2010 Camaro. V6's are 28-32K and the SS is around 35-38K. I understand inflation and all but lets get real. It's been 8 years and the cost has gone up 10K and placed a fully optioned 2SS too close to a base C6 IMO. Now if they lowerd the V6 to say 23-24K and offered a V8 Z28 for say 28-29K then I would say all is as it should be. A moderate increase for inflation but still affordable to the middle class.

Hopefully once the newness wears off the dealerships will start selling for thousands under sticker. But the fact remains that if you had 25K in 2002 you could buy a new V8 Camaro even if you paid sticker price. Right now you need around 10K on top of that.

That sounds a little rude. Sharing mods and setups is common here and often done to help each other choose the best setup for them.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Now look at the 2010 Camaro. V6's are 28-32K and the SS is around 35-38K. I understand inflation and all but lets get real. It's been 8 years and the cost has gone up 10K and placed a fully optioned 2SS too close to a base C6 IMO. Now if they lowerd the V6 to say 23-24K and offered a V8 Z28 for say 28-29K then I would say all is as it should be.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a difference between not thinking I'm right and not wanting to admit that I'm right.

Z28's, Formula's & TA's were all sticker priced in the 20's with some under 25K. That's sticker price now which is what you seem to be so hung up on. V6's were in the upper teens for sticker price.

Now look at the 2010 Camaro. V6's are 28-32K and the SS is around 35-38K. I understand inflation and all but lets get real. It's been 8 years and the cost has gone up 10K and placed a fully optioned 2SS too close to a base C6 IMO. Now if they lowerd the V6 to say 23-24K and offered a V8 Z28 for say 28-29K then I would say all is as it should be. A moderate increase for inflation but still affordable to the middle class.

Hopefully once the newness wears off the dealerships will start selling for thousands under sticker. But the fact remains that if you had 25K in 2002 you could buy a new V8 Camaro even if you paid sticker price. Right now you need around 10K on top of that.

That sounds a little rude. Sharing mods and setups is common here and often done to help each other choose the best setup for them.
your right.. im in denial, your god man.. you know everything.. im just some ignorant dumb son of a bitch that knows absolutely nothing that im talking about... i dont know why im even on these boards, i dont even know anyting about these cars..... damn, why cant i be more like you.. must be nice knowing EVERYTHING..

as for how i took his question... it was, you said you had mods, where are they? and thats how i answered... ive helped many people with their setups on this board and achieve the times/power they wanted.. had a lot of people copy my setup.. you dont need to worry about whatever the hell im doing.. ill talk/post however the hell i want to.. been doing it since i first started posting, and i will continue long after your gone from here..