Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

How to report price gouging???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to report price gouging???

Local dealer gets an SS, "sells" it, it gets 100 miles put on it, then he places it on the lot as used. What was a 35k car is now a 45k car.

how do you report it?

what are the contacts??
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer buys the car from GM and owns the car, so they can do whatever they want with it. If they can get 45k for a Camaro, more power to them. That's why we live in a capitalist society.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
The dealer buys the car from GM and owns the car, so they can do whatever they want with it. If they can get 45k for a Camaro, more power to them. That's why we live in a capitalist society where people are abusing capitalism.
fixed that one for you
Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danf1000
Local dealer gets an SS, "sells" it, it gets 100 miles put on it, then he places it on the lot as used. What was a 35k car is now a 45k car.

how do you report it?

what are the contacts??
You will get laughed at. A dealer can mark up a new or used car however much they'd like.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I chime in with some worthless needless drivel counter and insultive to the conversation.........

in real life, not internet............

all the time!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
fixed that one for you
No one is making anyone purchase it. It's a free market society as well. Buy from another dealer.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
No one is making anyone purchase it. It's a free market society as well. Buy from another dealer.
i understand that. that still doesn't change the fact that people are taking advantage of people that don't know any better in certain situations. i agree that anyone that pays that much for that car is certainly doing theirself a supreme injustice, but i also believe that just because you can rip someone off because they're just that naive, doesn't mean you should. People have thrown their own morals out the window and justify it by saying 'hey, that's capitalism!'. it's bullshit
Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't stress it.

There are still plenty of dealerships around pricegouging C6Z06's... it also explains why they have unsold 07's and 08's too.

They will be sitting on it and they'll be eating their own crow in a year or two when the resale values nosedive.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

fixed that one for you
You can abuse capitalism. Supply and demand. There is high demand for this car, they have one. They can ask what they want and will probably get it.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do you report it?

what are the contacts??
what exactly are you trying to report?
that a business is trying to get as much money for a product they sell?

1-800-shutthefuckup
Old 07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Some people seem to forget that MSRP is Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. They have no say over the price of it. Dealer does totally.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Hate to see it but they are free to charge any price they think they can get.

If there is enough demand to support that price (or they find uninformed buyers willing to blindly pay that price) then they have made some money.

Hopefully some dealer nearby will see the opportunity to showcase their much lower prices and entice customers to their lower price.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Launching!

People have thrown their own morals out the window and justify it by saying 'hey, that's capitalism!'. it's bullshit
I agree with you, but look at your alternatives, I would rather have it the way it is instead of the government saying what prices should be set at, but by the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if that's how it ends up.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greenbird97
I agree with you, but look at your alternatives, I would rather have it the way it is instead of the government saying what prices should be set at, but by the way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if that's how it ends up.
you're absolutely right. it would really be a bad scenario for the government to have to step in, but it's the irresponsible and greedy people in this country that are going to push things too far and ruin a good thing for the rest of us. it happens with a lot of things. it's sad that people can't grow up and make good, responsible decisions for themselves.

just so my words don't get twisted, i'm completely against it coming to that. i just see the direction it's headed in
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Actually before the new Camaro ever came out, it was GM who said there will be no gouging on the price and that it would take action against such dealers and encouraged it to be reported.

But I guess no one else remembers that either
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

how do you report it?

what are the contacts??
You can report it to Detroit or a regional office. Little would be done other then it being noted but should it continue the regional office would investigate it and possible penalize the dealership for wreckless management that is hurting their business. Of coarse because its used GM couldnt care any less because its a used car. In all actuality its most likely marked up for 2 reasons....

1.Its priced for the person that must have a camaro today rather then wait for a new one to be ordered and built

2. It looks better and I believe more profitable in the long run for the dealership to continue to sell brand new Camaros ordered and sold then sell used ones
Old 07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go somewhere else and get one cheaper. I'd laugh at them and move on.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Go somewhere else and get one cheaper. I'd laugh at them and move on.
Been there done that with an 06 GTO. Was quite funny laughing at management.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i understand that. that still doesn't change the fact that people are taking advantage of people that don't know any better in certain situations. i agree that anyone that pays that much for that car is certainly doing theirself a supreme injustice, but i also believe that just because you can rip someone off because they're just that naive, doesn't mean you should. People have thrown their own morals out the window and justify it by saying 'hey, that's capitalism!'. it's bullshit
Man, I am going to have to back you on this one.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Report it to GM if you want. There's no laws against it but companies do often times require that their pricing standards be followed. Now in this case it sounds like the dealer is working around it by listing it as used, so just laugh at him and the poor fool that pays that much and move on.

Quick Reply: How to report price gouging???