Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which one would you purchase?
09 Ls7 Camaro
66.60%
09 Ls2 Camaro
10.84%
09 Challenger
16.55%
Shelby Mustang
6.01%
Voters: 2048. You may not vote on this poll

New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE OVAL TURBO
Can you elaborate on the race ?
Sure, a new SRT-8 Orange with black stripes, guy said it was "the fastest option"

We went on a green light, I spun horrible in first he got about 1/2 car on me...shifted into second and blew by him, by the middle of third I had about 3.5 and I let off...

everytime I pass the guy on the road (he lives near me) I wave, he won't look at me.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Sure, a new SRT-8 Orange with black stripes, guy said it was "the fastest option"

We went on a green light, I spun horrible in first he got about 1/2 car on me...shifted into second and blew by him, by the middle of third I had about 3.5 and I let off...

everytime I pass the guy on the road (he lives near me) I wave, he won't look at me.
Thanks for the elaboration. I don't see that many SRT-8's these days and wondered what actually took place. I saw a driver launch his Charger SRT-8 one day from a light and he seemed to move out with authority ,so i was curious about your experience. Anyway good kill !!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe
Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

I checked out the new Challenger R/T at the Chicago Auto Show (as well as the red Camaro that was there), and I gotta say I'm convinced. Looks mean, better interior quality (whatever the **** that means), better all-around visibility than the 'Ro, and backseat room was livable. With the money that Dodge is putting on the hood of the R/T's, this has got to be the best deal going right now.

Go to Dodge.com and price one out; the ailing ChryCo is running seriously insane, the-barn-is-burning sales incentives right now. If you price out a Chally R/T at Dodge.com, they're giving you Employee Price Discount of -$2,963, plus my screen shows another Midwest BC Chrysler Financial Bonus Cash of -$1,000. $4k off of an MSRP comes up with $27k before any haggling -- which gives you the following:

:: 372 horse / 400 ft-lbs. 5.7 HEMI V8
:: Track Pak (Six-speed Tremec TR-6060 manual, 3.73 LSD, Hill Assist, ESP off)
:: Disc brakes all around (working brake ducts front, vented rotors, aluminum calipers, twin-piston front, single-piston rear)
:: ABS, traction control, electronic stability control with brake assist
:: Hemi Orange paint

For those looking to go Mopar, forget the SRT-8. Get the R/T. Yes it's slower than the new Camaro. Mod it or don't worry about it (or stay Bowtie and buy a Camaro). Either way, the new Chally R/T is still pretty badassed.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Has anyone esle besides me sat in a new Challenger and thought WTF !@#%^@!#

It's the same super plastic interior from the Charger and Magnum! Oh sorry wait a minute, let me buy into the HEMI marketing (it's more a wedge than a hemi anyway), and get into my 4200lb + car and love it!

I took one for a test drive! If I am going to praise Dodge, then I will say it rides good and feels solid. The rest is garbage. It feels faster than it is....ie: read the speedo after it shifted to third (automatic) and was doing 40 mph - - - holding back the WOWs now!

I see so many post how heavy the new Camaro and quickly forget the Shelby and Challenger weigh MORE!!

Then there are more that degrade the interior and I ask, what are you looking for?

This is a GM, F-body, LS1 inspired site. Are there only a select few that understand this concept.

I am not going to the Shelby and Challenger boards to degrade their cars...NO NO, I will do it on the street with my LS1 SS and laugh the whole time.

For those who don't like this post, yes I do bleed GM Bowtie blood and your Viper eating, GTR loving, and Shelby praising opinion won't change me a bit
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

LS7 bowtie defineitly
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM

When the time comes to upgrade the GTA its an LS7 all the way, but 1st gotta finish dropping in my ls2 in the bird.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS7 Camaro for sure, could you imagine..............................huh..oh sorry, gotta go change my shorts !!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevy8806
thats not what i was saying at all GM will never build anything in any of their cars that will be faster than the fastest vette of any givin year. case in point is the pontiac fiero, pontiac first plans were to make the corvette killer fiero. that didnt happen and look what happened to those cars.

Second point is that GM has never and will never put the best motor in anything other than a vette(ex old carb427, cfi350, lt5, lt4, ls6,).

Third the new camaro's will be built on the new zeta platform(i think) in which they will be heavy, very heavy. And the aerodynamics of the new camaros will be no where near the vettes
All im saying LSA is a motor that i would have over LS7 for top of the line Camaro
1987 Buick GNX destroyed the top corvette and any other american car built during that year.

saw a new RS Camaro at the Oklahoma state autoshow few weeks ago. I giggled that the v6 had 10 less hp than the Mustang GT. 306hp is impressive for an N/A V6. The car looked good aside from the cheap rally wheals and spoilerless decklid. Interior looked pretty good, higher quality than the 4th gens. If only they could bring GM from death. I'm having a hard time getting over the ugly *** tail lights though
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally posted by: chrisdacarnut:..... (1987 Buick GNX destroyed the top corvette and any other american car built during that year.) This may be a true statement but after the GNX , Buick hasn't had another musclecar since. The '89 GTA TT improved on the formula but didn't continue with the drivetrain afterwards either. Chevy will always make the Corvette "KING OF THE HILL" in term's of GM performance.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like any of the above.That's why I didn't vote.I will keep my 4th gen.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Has anyone esle besides me sat in a new Challenger and thought WTF !@#%^@!#

It's the same super plastic interior from the Charger and Magnum! Oh sorry wait a minute, let me buy into the HEMI marketing (it's more a wedge than a hemi anyway), and get into my 4200lb + car and love it!

I took one for a test drive! If I am going to praise Dodge, then I will say it rides good and feels solid. The rest is garbage. It feels faster than it is....ie: read the speedo after it shifted to third (automatic) and was doing 40 mph - - - holding back the WOWs now!

I see so many post how heavy the new Camaro and quickly forget the Shelby and Challenger weigh MORE!!

Then there are more that degrade the interior and I ask, what are you looking for?

This is a GM, F-body, LS1 inspired site. Are there only a select few that understand this concept.

I am not going to the Shelby and Challenger boards to degrade their cars...NO NO, I will do it on the street with my LS1 SS and laugh the whole time.

For those who don't like this post, yes I do bleed GM Bowtie blood and your Viper eating, GTR loving, and Shelby praising opinion won't change me a bit
Im with him

Quick Reply: New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!