Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which one would you purchase?
09 Ls7 Camaro
66.60%
09 Ls2 Camaro
10.84%
09 Challenger
16.55%
Shelby Mustang
6.01%
Voters: 2048. You may not vote on this poll

New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
Thinking about getting a Challenfer, you may want to check out this video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cKXSg5ekex0&feature=bz301

...ugly as sin I think
i think i just threw up a lil in my mouth
Old 03-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I don't like the new Challenger! Granted, they did a good job of modernizing the old model, which looked like a track star. I compare the early 70's challenger to a track star because it had a slimmed down look in which the car didn't look as heavy as it was. This one not only looks heavy, it is!

It needs Jenny Craig or Weigh Watchers!

In my opinion, the New Camaro is going to school all of the Mopar nuts that are drooling over this Heavyweight!

I'm looking forward to an LS7 Camaro......Hopefully they make an RS/SS model too!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wonder if Chrysler will make a Cordoba out of it...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Wonder if Chrysler will make a Cordoba out of it...
With that fine Corinthian leather!

............Or maybe it'll be the next K-car (I might be going back a bit for some of you Guys on that one)!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
With that fine Corinthian leather!

............Or maybe it'll be the next K-car (I might be going back a bit for some of you Guys on that one)!
I remember some K's that Go Like Hell.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

The Challenger SRT8 is a much better design. A good combination of old and new. The Camaro looks too much of a future design. Not enough lines.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

09 challenger with the 392 hemi M6
Old 03-15-2008, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Truth be told....

I think that they all look Sick as hell....

but they all are still going to weight more then I want them to....

GT350 = 4000+ Pounds
Challenger = 3800+ Pounds
Camaro 3600+ Pounds

They should all be around 3200 to me hahaha soo Yea.

But if GM makes a LS7 Camaro with 500+ hp. ... Thats going in my Drive way...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkcrave
Truth be told....

GT350 = 4000+ Pounds
Challenger = 3800+ Pounds
Camaro 3600+ Pounds

They should all be around 3200 to me hahaha soo Yea.

But if GM makes a LS7 Camaro with 500+ hp. ... Thats going in my Drive way...
Whoah, you need to get out more. The Challenger weighs 4140lbs and you can buy it right now.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

i need to get out more?
my bad your right on the weight....
never said it wasent out though
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the Car and Driver Magazine says 4150lbs, $40,158 base price, 0-60 4.7sec, 0-100 11.1 sec. 173 top speed (redline limiter)

i dont like it being huge and the designer said they basically took the charger and chopped the chassis and shortened the doors and made a few tweaks here and there...

i vote camaro Z28 Power
Old 03-29-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ping2day
The Challenger SRT8 is a much better design. A good combination of old and new. The Camaro looks too much of a future design. Not enough lines.
old chassis, same exact car as the old one,too heavy, too expensive, shitty warranty.no thanks.

new camaro for me.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I got an up close and personal with the new Challenger, GM does have its work cut out for itself. The Challenger is a damn nice if heavy car. Dodge is saying 3900 pounds.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by darkcrave
Truth be told....

All of these cars are made out of existing fullsize car platforms they're already building to keep the costs down.

Vehicles must meet federal safety requirements. Mainstream vehicles are also expected to be extremely rigid for durability, handling, ride comfort and overall quality. A rigid structure made to be sold at an affordable price at a large volume is going to be heavy. That is why all vehicles weigh more now than they did.

If GM and other automakers making muscle cars for us had to engineer a clean-sheet structure from scratch and retool an entire plant dedicated to building it we'd have an extremely expensive muscle car on our hands. One that few of us could afford to buy and that couldn't be priced into the mainstream without the automaker losing money.

This is why these muscle cars are made out of existing V8 RWD structures like the LX for the Challenger. Or the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 for the upcoming Camaro. It's not really possible to magically make the weight of these structures disappear and I doubt many would be willing to pay for more lighter and expensive materials like aluminum, titanium and magnesium if used to make the car. We would not be able or willing to buy these cars at the prices that would need to be charged if that were the case.

This is why dedicated sports cars like the Corvette, Viper and Lotus Elise cost so much and sell at low volumes. The cost of development, the plants, materials, all that work is passed directly onto the consumer.

Be happy we're getting this car at all and enjoy it while it lasts before government regulation, the environmental movement, our endlessly truck-thing obsessed automakers and fuel prices conspire to kill it again.

The G8 is a 4,100lb car and the new Camaro is being made out of that car. Expect it to be around 3,700lbs at best but probably more.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
All of these cars are made out of existing fullsize car platforms they're already building to keep the costs down.

Vehicles must meet federal safety requirements. Mainstream vehicles are also expected to be extremely rigid for durability, handling, ride comfort and overall quality. A rigid structure made to be sold at an affordable price at a large volume is going to be heavy. That is why all vehicles weigh more now than they did.

If GM and other automakers making muscle cars for us had to engineer a clean-sheet structure from scratch and retool an entire plant dedicated to building it we'd have an extremely expensive muscle car on our hands. One that few of us could afford to buy and that couldn't be priced into the mainstream without the automaker losing money.

This is why these muscle cars are made out of existing V8 RWD structures like the LX for the Challenger. Or the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 for the upcoming Camaro. It's not really possible to magically make the weight of these structures disappear and I doubt many would be willing to pay for more lighter and expensive materials like aluminum, titanium and magnesium if used to make the car. We would not be able or willing to buy these cars at the prices that would need to be charged if that were the case.

This is why dedicated sports cars like the Corvette, Viper and Lotus Elise cost so much and sell at low volumes. The cost of development, the plants, materials, all that work is passed directly onto the consumer.

Be happy we're getting this car at all and enjoy it while it lasts before government regulation, the environmental movement, our endlessly truck-thing obsessed automakers and fuel prices conspire to kill it again.

The G8 is a 4,100lb car and the new Camaro is being made out of that car. Expect it to be around 3,700lbs at best but probably more.
I wouldn't let GM off that easily. I say, don't make it a fat pig or less of us will buy it. See any of the Mopars since the sixties as an example. That is why they are so rare, because not enough people wanted those big fat pigs, even if they had a hemi. The best selling musclecar/ponycar, the Ford Mustang, is around 3500lbs and it meets safety regulations. It can be done. Do it or perish GM!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by enginjoe
The best selling musclecar/ponycar, the Ford Mustang, is around 3500lbs and it meets safety regulations. It can be done. Do it or perish GM!
GM doesn't have an existing platform engineered for a V8 that is as light to work with as Ford did for the Mustang.

If it's a big deal there are certainly other choices on the market, like the Mustang. It's getting a turbo six and brand new V8 for it's mid-cycle refresh too.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

imo dodges have not made a good car motor since the 60's, fords are over priced underpowerd, chevys look better, get better gas mpg, the motor is much more capable of halling as then a dodge!!! but the chalenger is frecken sweet 2!!!! that would be my 2nd pick!!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

I know it would be unheard of for GM to put the LS9 in the camaro because GM refuses to build anything faster than the fastest vette but would GM put the LSA that is goin in the new CTS-V's, in the Camaro's. i dont know what anyone else thinks but i would rather have a LSA to a LS7 in a production camaro
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevy8806
I know it would be unheard of for GM to put the LS9 in the camaro because GM refuses to build anything faster than the fastest vette but would GM put the LSA that is goin in the new CTS-V's, in the Camaro's. i dont know what anyone else thinks but i would rather have a LSA to a LS7 in a production camaro
You're crazy if you think an LS9 Camaro would outrun an LS9 ZR1!

two words: Drag Coefficient
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
You're crazy if you think an LS9 Camaro would outrun an LS9 ZR1!

two words: Drag Coefficient
One more word. Weight.

Quick Reply: New Camaro, New Challenger, GT500?!?!?!