Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevano26
by the time all this happens the LSx engines will be at the end of their life cycle so it wont be any of those. all i know is Im getting a top dog camaro, i dont care what its called. o and on a side note, there isnt going to be a "resurection" of a corvette ss because there never was one, the vette was the only car not to get the SS label.
Wait, didn't Duntov call his racing corvette a "Super Sports" car, and that's where the whole SS thing originated from? There weren't any production Corvette SS models though...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kevano26
by the time all this happens the LSx engines will be at the end of their life cycle so it wont be any of those. all i know is Im getting a top dog camaro, i dont care what its called. o and on a side note, there isnt going to be a "resurection" of a corvette ss because there never was one, the vette was the only car not to get the SS label.
^^^^^ Thats right it was never a production model.Sorry my friend to contradict your opinion but the first chevy vehicle to actually carry a SS badge was the corvette and in fact the only one build back in 1957. Look it up.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
^^^^^ Thats right it was never a production model.Sorry my friend to contradict your opinion but the first chevy vehicle to actually carry a SS badge was the corvette and in fact the only one build back in 1957. Look it up.

your right, im sorry i should have worded my post better, there has never been a production corvette ss. my appologies
Old 04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the ideas coming!
Feedback about powertrains = GOOD!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Good thing you asked what you guys thing about power train or the supposely Independent Wheel Suspencion that is coming with the new one?

Kenavo thanks for the beer.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Yes, but EVERYONE but the Ford guys(and even then...) knows that the GT500 isn't a Z06 killer, it's just not that caliber of car. The Shelby doesn't perform with the likes of the Ford GT or Viper like the Z06 does, as repeated tests have shown. As it stands, the GT500 is just occupying its own little niche carved out by the 03/04 Cobras, you know, the less than a Corvette performance car area? The thing is, nobody but Ford really plays in that price range/category until the Challenger and a top level Camaro comes out.

I can only hope that DCX does an epic maneuver and throws the Viper V10 and 6-speed in and kill the GT500 like they did the Lightning. Hopefully we'll see a hopped up Chevrolet or Pontiac take charge!

I'm not even going to make a coment about this if you have a dought read below or my post again.

Previously posted by Bboyxclub
By the way the GT500 does bring 500 horses and therefore is in pair with the z06 and ford wanted it that way, and chevy made the mistake of letting them do it by letting the camaro go, back in 2002. (I know the z06 can overbeat the GT500). But how many people look at the variables that make this happen? That's right only us the hardcore car enthusiast very few compare to the overall public.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
I'm not even going to make a coment about this if you have a dought read below or my post again.

Previously posted by Bboyxclub
By the way the GT500 does bring 500 horses and therefore is in pair with the z06 and ford wanted it that way, and chevy made the mistake of letting them do it by letting the camaro go, back in 2002. (I know the z06 can overbeat the GT500). But how many people look at the variables that make this happen? That's right only us the hardcore car enthusiast very few compare to the overall public.
oops! Sorry chief!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:12 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

It's important that the new Camaro is affordable to the masses. Everyone on this board is a HP junkie so, we're all looking at this from the top down.

Chevy will always keep the Camaro a step down from the Corvette. That's fine because it's a four-seater and enthusiasts will always find ways to modify the drivetrain, anyway. Just as it was up 'tli 2002, as it continues today.

That said, my .02 is:

1) RS as a D.O.D.-type base V8 rated around 24/30 mpg.
2) Z28 as an upgraded suspension (Z51 ish) and engine package with a more efficient, modernized LS2 (@400hp).
3) SS as a limited package with adjustable ride and upgraded suspension, ground effects, interior and a modernized LS7 (@500hp).

I'm assuming that by that time Vettes will come at 500hp base and there will be PLENTY of aftermarket upgrades available, ie blowers and turbos.

IMHO it's important that Chevy offer some comfort options like Navagation, Bluetooth, Heads Up, Heated Seats and (I would LOVE TO HAVE) Air-Conditioned seats (like my SAAB) for those hot summer days when I want to keep my convertible top up on my way to a summer wedding.

I hope they do it right the first time 'cuz I'm ready to lay down my deposit for a new, red SS with black stripes and top. I'll pick my interior color when they become available. Another combo I'd do would be a dark green/gold metallic, black stripes and top.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

The GT500 is NOT on par with a Z06. Similar HP ratings? Sure.. but the Ford is pushing almost 4000lbs and the Z06 checks in at a svelte 3100ish.. the GT could have 600hp and the vette would still outrun it in a 1/4.. better aerodynamics as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd look for a LS3 powered camaro in the future and possibly a roots style blower one also 400-450hp and 550hp respectivly
Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Another one LOL. I love when people just start talking without notion of what has been said.

QUOTE=Asmodeus]The GT500 is NOT on par with a Z06. Similar HP ratings? Sure.. but the Ford is pushing almost 4000lbs and the Z06 checks in at a svelte 3100ish.. the GT could have 600hp and the vette would still outrun it in a 1/4.. better aerodynamics as well.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by killerinparadise
I'd look for a LS3 powered camaro in the future and possibly a roots style blower one also 400-450hp and 550hp respectivly
You think chevy would put a blower on the camaro instead of a bigger motor? I don't know man I rather see a bigger motor. Camaro has always been know for straight factory small block performance. I guess I'm old fashioned.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't understand how GM is going to make a 700hp corvette. i mean seriously.

1.) how will it pass emissions?
2.) how can they make 700 hp street legal? this thing will be a death-trap to the inexperienced or relatively inexperienced.
3.) GM doesn't have a tranny that will withstand 700hp that will fit into a normal car while keeping the weight down. the 6L80 or T56 won't stand up to that kind of abuse.
4.) hello? rear end? are they going to make IRS that will hold 700 hp?

this 700 hp business is bullshit. power is NOT where it is at at this point. adding more power will just make it reckless, violent, sloppy and dangerous. GM needs to start focusing on gearing, aerodynamics, weight reduction and weight distribution. if GM would make a damn car that came with 4.10's from the dealership, they'd have a winner. think about it:

- keep around 500 hp level power
- up the gearing to 4.10's or even closer like a 4.56
- shed another 100 lbs or so

doing this will make the ZO6 a 10 second car off the sales floor while keeping the horsepower down for emissions, driveability issues and to protect the drivetrain. MORE POWER isn't the answer at this point. GM could make a 500hp blown camaro. if it's a 4000 lb heavy pig piece of ****, it'll be slow.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

There better be an option for a base v8 camaro for around the price of a Mustang GT. The V6s will have to be attractive to the average buyer as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

2.) how can they make 700 hp street legal? this thing will be a death-trap to the inexperienced or relatively inexperienced.
3.) GM doesn't have a tranny that will withstand 700hp that will fit into a normal car while keeping the weight down. the 6L80 or T56 won't stand up to that kind of abuse.

this 700 hp business is bullshit. power is NOT where it is at at this point. adding more power will just make it reckless, violent, sloppy and dangerous. GM needs to start focusing on gearing, aerodynamics, weight reduction and weight distribution. if GM would make a damn car that came with 4.10's from the dealership, they'd have a winner. think about it:

doing this will make the ZO6 a 10 second car off the sales floor while keeping the horsepower down for emissions, driveability issues and to protect the drivetrain. MORE POWER isn't the answer at this point. GM could make a 500hp blown camaro. if it's a 4000 lb heavy pig piece of ****, it'll be slow.
Regardless of your opinion, get ready to deal with 600+. There is talk of GM making a driving course mandatory for the top lelvel vette.

Why can't they make it emissions legal?? There are 700+ hp cars on the roads now. Saleen S7 comes to mind. Don't plan on it being NA, but with enough cubes, good heads and turbos.It is entirely possible. Besides, with someof the technology that GM is coming out with, anything is possible.

Who would have thought 4 years ago that we would have a 500+ hp bonestock Vette??
Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

I am 100% with you on the weight thing you are a god, and hopefully the camaro would only be 3500 lbs tops. However believe me there is the technology and the resources to pull off a 700 hp car many other componies are doing it why can't chevy? Sure the price will go higher, but hey if you want a 700 hp car? You got to pay for it...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I think what your looking for is in here

read the part were it takes about the 5th gen
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826
Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Levoncmo
I think what your looking for is in here

read the part were it takes about the 5th gen
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826
Nice info, thanks for the link. I'm still guessing the base camaro to compete with the mustang Gt will be offered with an HP rating somewhere in the mid 300's and price tag under 30,000. I am going for the 450 horse which I'm hoping will be the SS.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

either way i want one i think the LS2 or LS7 will work out ok more power stock more $
Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
To be perfectly honest, I don't want and can't afford a high-hp V8. All I want is a Camaro with like a 4.8L or 5.3L and a manual tranny. In yellow w/black stripes please, hold the leather. I'm fine with something with around 300hp, so a 'baby' V8 RS or LTZ model would be nice for guys like me who can't afford 30k cars. I'd like something in the current Mustang GT price range, but not a mustang. For all of you performance guys, there should be 400hp and 500~hp versions out there.
Then you have 2 choices:
1. Buy the V6
2. Buy it used

But don't spoil our fun

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010