Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why the phuq would the Z/28 lose 50hp compared to the previous LS1 model. are you phuqing serious??????? if the cadilac CTS makes 300hp with its V6, why would you use the same motor or a V8 thats better?????? phuqing dumbest idea ever. why the hell did you even post that? I think I just lost 20 IQ points from reading your poll.

EDIT:

$23,000 300HP V6 from the CTS
$28,000 Z/28 400HP V8
$35,000 SS 450HP V8
$60,000 ZL1 650HP SC V8

unfortunately its all about the V6, because thats what sells the most and keeps the V8 model afloat. Do you think porsche makes profits from its turbo model, ah ah, nope, it turns a profit because of the POS boxter. unfortunately, the V6 Camaro needs to have some power and needs to be cheap in order to sell like crazy and keep both the company and the Camaro brand afloat.

Last edited by rasputin; 09-15-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rasputin
$23,000 300HP V6 from the CTS
$28,000 Z/28 400HP V8
$35,000 SS 450HP V8
$60,000 ZL1 650HP SC V8
I agree with your thinking, don't know about the $60k ZL1, wishful thinking, right?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM is going to do whatever is cheaper, and works im sick of these DREAMER threads
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
GM is going to do whatever is cheaper, and works im sick of these DREAMER threads
That is correct, and that means, just as I've reiterated a thousand times, GM will probably NEVER put that 300hp V6 in the BASE MODEL Camaro. That engine has Cadillac-exclusive parts that the other 3.6L's don't.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
That is correct, and that means, just as I've reiterated a thousand times, GM will probably NEVER put that 300hp V6 in the BASE MODEL Camaro. That engine has Cadillac-exclusive parts that the other 3.6L's don't.
The hell it does, here is a list of all the cars that use or will use the LY7 3600 series engine

2004 Cadillac CTS
2004 Buick Rendezvous CXL/Ultra
2004 Cadillac SRX
2004 Holden VZ Commodore
2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS
2005 Cadillac STS
2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 Holden WM Statesman
2006 Holden WM Caprice
2007 Saturn Aura XR
2007 Saturn Outlook
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP
2007 GMC Acadia
Future applications:

2008 Buick Enclave
2008 Chevrolet Malibu
2008 Pontiac G8
2008 Chevrolet Equinox (Sport model)
2008 Pontiac Torrent (GXP)

The only reason that 2008 Cadillac CTS has a 304 HP LY7 3600 is because they made it direct injected where-as the regular LY7 engine is port injected.

I don't know what the hell you guys are bitching about dreamer threads, a car with 270-300HP+ from a V6 is getting to be average in the Japanese and Euro car industry. The Camaro better compete, its damn better than any affordable Jap or Euro sports car out there
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hc8719
The hell it does, here is a list of all the cars that use or will use the LY7 3600 series engine

2004 Cadillac CTS
2004 Buick Rendezvous CXL/Ultra
2004 Cadillac SRX
2004 Holden VZ Commodore
2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS
2005 Cadillac STS
2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 Holden WM Statesman
2006 Holden WM Caprice
2007 Saturn Aura XR
2007 Saturn Outlook
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP
2007 GMC Acadia
Future applications:

2008 Buick Enclave
2008 Chevrolet Malibu
2008 Pontiac G8
2008 Chevrolet Equinox (Sport model)
2008 Pontiac Torrent (GXP)

The only reason that 2008 Cadillac CTS has a 304 HP LY7 3600 is because they made it direct injected where-as the regular LY7 engine is port injected.

I don't know what the hell you guys are bitching about dreamer threads, a car with 270-300HP+ from a V6 is getting to be average in the Japanese and Euro car industry. The Camaro better compete, its damn better than any affordable Jap or Euro sports car out there
Yes, the 3.6L is in all of those cars, BUT, the H.O. Cadillac version is not, in fact it is only in like 3 of those. The intake and exhaust manifolds, as well as PCM tuning are different in addition to the DI.

Look, I have NOTHING wrong with GM making a badass V6 that can compete with the Japanese. All the better, in fact. I'm just not so sure that the 350Z/G37 should be the base model Camaro's target. Keep in mind that the Camaro, regardless of it's V6 powerplant, will be larger and heavier than the Z. That's all there is to it. Now, if the Z had stayed with the formula that the old 300ZX TT had, I'd say the new Camaro would be it's new rival, but they downsized the car and made it more "sports car" than GT.

If the guys at GM could get the car to handle like a proper Z/28, put a screamer version of the H.O. 3.6L, and lighten up the car some, I'd say that would be pretty damn sweet, and a worthy G37 competitor.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't expect the base V6 Camaro to be on the performance level of a 350z (though for what we'll pay for it, it might as well be), but do feel 300 HP for a performance V6 would be appropiate.

The hell do I know, there probably won't even be a performance V6 lol
Old 09-22-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Entry Level = 3.6L 300ish hp V6
Z-28 = 6.0L 400ish hp V8
SS = ?.?L 500ish hp v8

They have to offer a base model v6. Have to. They won't sell enough V8s to make the car profitable for themselves if they don't. Or they'll have to make the V8s expensive to the point that half the people on this forum that want one won't be able to buy one new & will have to wait until the car is 3 years old to get one. V6s sell. Look at the Rustangs. I mean the GTs are slow as crap and Ford is still selling butt loads of the even slower V6 models. Why would GM not put a V6 in the Camaro that's capable of putting out similar hp numbers as more expensive cars if they're fully capable of doing so??? As to whether or not it'll be 300+ hp, I think it will be without a doubt. And the 3.6 is a GM "Global" engine and is no way exclusive to Caddy. As the current owner of an 04 CTS, I've done all sorts of research on this engine. There are many different versions of this engine offered in several different GM vehicles around the world. Of course the "HO" version is only in a few of those vehicles at this point. It was just recently debuted. By 2010, the DI 3.6 is planned to be in several different GM platforms. Especially if their new global RWD plans don't get cut. So the chances of that engine (or a higher output version) making it into the Camaro are very high. Think about it, the 3.6 in my CTS was a new engine for Caddy in 03. 5 years later they have an updated offering making 49 more hp. It'll be 7 years old in 2010. Who knows how much more it could advance by then. Look at how much the LSx engines have advanced since they first debuted. The first year they were out they were "exclusive" to one vehicle, but now, 10+ years later, there are LSx engines offered in all sorts of GM offerings.

As for the SS being the top dog of the Camaros, well we all know that historically the Z-28 was the power house, but as of late Chevy has been using the SS badge on all it's performance vehicles much like Ford has it's SVT & Dodge SRT. It's a marketing thing. Most people don't know the history of the Camaro & only know that the SS badge is Chevy's performance line. So, the top of the line Camaro, other than limited production cars that may be offered, will be the SS.

Last edited by FL01SS; 09-22-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL01SS
Entry Level = 3.6L 300ish hp V6
Z-28 = 6.0L 400ish hp V8
SS = ?.?L 500ish hp v8

They have to offer a base model v6. Have to. They won't sell enough V8s to make the car profitable for themselves if they don't. Or they'll have to make the V8s expensive to the point that half the people on this forum that want one won't be able to buy one new & will have to wait until the car is 3 years old to get one. V6s sell. Look at the Rustangs. I mean the GTs are slow as crap and Ford is still selling butt loads of the even slower V6 models. Why would GM not put a V6 in the Camaro that's capable of putting out similar hp numbers as more expensive cars if they're fully capable of doing so??? As to whether or not it'll be 300+ hp, I think it will be without a doubt. And the 3.6 is a GM "Global" engine and is no way exclusive to Caddy. As the current owner of an 04 CTS, I've done all sorts of research on this engine. There are many different versions of this engine offered in several different GM vehicles around the world. Of course the "HO" version is only in a few of those vehicles at this point. It was just recently debuted. By 2010, the DI 3.6 is planned to be in several different GM platforms. Especially if their new global RWD plans don't get cut. So the chances of that engine (or a higher output version) making it into the Camaro are very high. Think about it, the 3.6 in my CTS was a new engine for Caddy in 03. 5 years later they have an updated offering making 49 more hp. It'll be 7 years old in 2010. Who knows how much more it could advance by then. Look at how much the LSx engines have advanced since they first debuted. The first year they were out they were "exclusive" to one vehicle, but now, 10+ years later, there are LSx engines offered in all sorts of GM offerings.

As for the SS being the top dog of the Camaros, well we all know that historically the Z-28 was the power house, but as of late Chevy has been using the SS badge on all it's performance vehicles much like Ford has it's SVT & Dodge SRT. It's a marketing thing. Most people don't know the history of the Camaro & only know that the SS badge is Chevy's performance line. So, the top of the line Camaro, other than limited production cars that may be offered, will be the SS.
You gotta remember, though, the H.O. might make it in, but I guarantee it won't be the base model V6. Remember, GM promised us two sixes, one fuel efficient, one hi-po. I think the 3.6LHO would go well in the Hi-Po slot, but that fuel-efficient model is the dark horse of the equation, the engine that I'm really interested in(not that I'll buy it, just that it's a new GM engine...)

Indeed, a Z/28 as the Cobra-R type vehicle would be splendid, the top of the line as it may be. The SS needs to have power AND luxury, as the originals did. The best you can get before you get to the race special Z/28, if you will. As it stands, I'd really like to see a model in-between the hi-po six and the SS, like an S3 or RS model with a smaller V8, be it the 5.3L, 6.0L, or a new eight in between. That would be the true Mustang GT fighter, and the value leader of the V8s. I'm pretty sure that most people would be fairly pleased with an ~350-360 hp V8. You guys gotta remember, that's still a lot of horsepower these days for what is essentially a mid-size coupe. Does the Altima coupe have ***** that big? Hell no! What about the new Accord and rumored Toyota Camry Coupes? Once again a big hell no!

I know this is off-topic, but, in my opinion, GM needs to focus on making a lusty car in ALL dimensions. The interior, exterior, ride, AND power delivery all need to impress people. This is why I don't really understand the "F*ck IRS, I want the solid rear from a pickup!" comments. Gm can make it all work, and that's probably what's taking them so long. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'll take my Camaro well done as opposed to medium rare any day.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt the Z-28 will be the h/p leader of the new Camaro. My bet is on the SS just because the SS name plate is the top of the line performance model for all Chevy vehicles.

I don't see why they would offer 2 V6s. If they offer one with decent performance (maybe not 300 h/p, but somewhere close), it would be pointless to have a second between that model and the V8 line.

But ya never know what GM is going to do, and we're doing nothing but pulling guesses out of our a$$es at this point. Guess we'll see in a year or so.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see why they would offer 2 V6s. If they offer one with decent performance (maybe not 300 h/p, but somewhere close), it would be pointless to have a second between that model and the V8 line.
Seriously? GM offers two V6 models for several vechicles, including the G6, Torrent, Malibu, Grand Prix, Impala...

I don't know what marketing technique GM is going to do this time. Maybe like the 3rd gen F-bodies with two options for each engine, or like the 4th gens with one V6 and one V8 option
Old 09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously? GM offers two V6 models for several vechicles, including the G6, Torrent, Malibu, Grand Prix, Impala...
No kidding. But how many of those models also have 2 V8 versions??? Assuming there will be 2 V8s available. Actually, how many of those offer 1 V8 option?

My point was, if there's going to be one V6 with decent performance there won't be room for another V6 above it but below the V8.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

# 2! thats the only way to go!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

No kidding. But how many of those models also have 2 V8 versions??? Assuming there will be 2 V8s available. Actually, how many of those offer 1 V8 option?

My point was, if there's going to be one V6 with decent performance there won't be room for another V6 above it but below the V8.
You aren't thinking in the right direction! The BASE V6 is NOT going to be the high-po 3.6L unless some MAJOR steps are made towards cheapening the manufacturing process. GM has already said that there will be two, one for fuel economy and one that's more performance-oriented(probably the 3.6L HO) I want to know whether they'll use the DOD 3900(which gets fantastic gas mileage, but isn't a particularly refined engine...), or a brand new V6(which I suspect they might be doing.

I'd also bet on at least two V8's. One standard hi-po and one SUPER hi-po introduced a year or two down the line...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

I guess I missed the GM release where they said the 09 will have 2 available V6s.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I missed the GM release where they said the 09 will have 2 available V6s.
But you heard the one where GM says there will only be 1 V6, right?!!??!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

But you heard the one where GM says there will only be 1 V6, right?!!??!
No, little mister attitude, I didn't. No need for your sarcasm. I wasn't being a smart a$$, I was honestly just saying if GM said that, then I obviously missed it.

At this point no one knows what the engine line up will look like for sure, but if Pontiac has a 260+ hp V6 in their Torrent, it would make no sence to me why GM would offer a V6 with less hp in their new sports car. And if they offer one with 260+ hp, why would they offer another V6 with slightly more hp above that one, but below the V8? Not saying it's not going to happen, it just doesn't seem logical to me. But obviously neither you nor I have any clue as to what GM's true thoughts and intentions are yet. We won't know for sure until they fire up the assembly lines.

I don't understand why people on here are getting so heated about this!?!?!?! Rather silly IMO. Everyone has their own little theories, but no one knows for sure. It's just a guessing game. Which makes it even more humorous to me that people are getting so worked up about it!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

No, little mister attitude, I didn't. No need for your sarcasm. I wasn't being a smart a$$, I was honestly just saying if GM said that, then I obviously missed it.

At this point no one knows what the engine line up will look like for sure, but if Pontiac has a 260+ hp V6 in their Torrent, it would make no sence to me why GM would offer a V6 with less hp in their new sports car. And if they offer one with 260+ hp, why would they offer another V6 with slightly more hp above that one, but below the V8? Not saying it's not going to happen, it just doesn't seem logical to me. But obviously neither you nor I have any clue as to what GM's true thoughts and intentions are yet. We won't know for sure until they fire up the assembly lines.

I don't understand why people on here are getting so heated about this!?!?!?! Rather silly IMO. Everyone has their own little theories, but no one knows for sure. It's just a guessing game. Which makes it even more humorous to me that people are getting so worked up about it!

Man you know that was funny.LOL.

Anyways remember ther is always the RS badge. One which has been part of camaro for a long time. If the lowered Peformance oriented V8 is 400 hp they are leaving too much gap in bewteen if they take out a mild V6 (lets say 260hp). Way too much gap of hp in bewteen. My bet there is going to be the fuel eficient V6 (problably 210 hp) and the RS V6 performance oriented V6 problably a (300hp) That way they are also attracting those looking in similar levels as 350z (which there are more on the street than garbage cans) and the G37.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ That makes sence.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Last time I checked, any car that had 300hp or more was pretty damn sporty. I don't see what the deal is with people SCREAMING for 400,500, and 600hp Camaros when the great majority of people would be happy with around 300, possibly even less than that. Remmber, TONS of people bought New Edge Mustang GTs, and they only had like 260hp. Hell even the 03/04 Cobras only had like 380-390. That was a shitload of horsepower for the time, especially in a pony car.

I know ya'll want to have faster and faster Camaros each time around, but I'd rather have a BETTER Camaro than a faster Camaro anyday. Think about it.

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010