Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for not being big heavey boats like the 04-06 gto's
Old 10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

500RWH maybe for the SS
Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS7jUnKiE
It will easily be as heavy as the GTOs were. Still lighter than the Challenger...
Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Last time I checked, any car that had 300hp or more was pretty damn sporty. I don't see what the deal is with people SCREAMING for 400,500, and 600hp Camaros when the great majority of people would be happy with around 300, possibly even less than that. Remmber, TONS of people bought New Edge Mustang GTs, and they only had like 260hp. Hell even the 03/04 Cobras only had like 380-390. That was a shitload of horsepower for the time, especially in a pony car.

I know ya'll want to have faster and faster Camaros each time around, but I'd rather have a BETTER Camaro than a faster Camaro anyday. Think about it.
You know I have to agree with you to certain extent. But I guess the reason why the public is receiving High HP cars is because they want it. One of the main reasons I can think of why such thing happens is because. When you get into a 30,000 loan, you will barely want to espend any more money on that car while paying $400 for insurance plus $400 for the car. By resorting to a high HP car like 400hp to 500hp you are getting that package on a monthly payment and that way it does not hurt your pocket that much as oppose to espending $4000 at once to obtain that level. Besides Not everybody is into the hobby as much as us to the extent that we take apart the car and put it together. So people just like to walk out of the dealer with a 500hp car. Besides a V8 with 300hp would look stupid when you have so many V6 making 300-350hp..
Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS7jUnKiE

++++10000 for 3500lbs
Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
So people just like to walk out of the dealer with a 500hp car. Besides a V8 with 300hp would look stupid when you have so many V6 making 300-350hp..
Ditto. 300 HP is sporty, I agree, but unless its a heavy duty truck or a SUV, a V8 making 300 horses is outdated, especially come 2009.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want it to get 300hp, though. I'm talking about the REAL 5.3L and 6.0L versions that put out in the 315-375hp range. TRUST ME that is PLENTY for most Camaro buyers.

The argument about some V6's out there making around 300 hp is kind of unfounded. The V6 ya'll are probably talking about is the Nissan VQ35/37, I presume? The VQ35, straight from Nissans' website makes 306hp/268lb ft of torque. That's NOT a match for even a 5.3L which puts out 315hp/338lb/ft of torque. That's SEVENTY lb/ft of torque that seperates them, in addition to the 9 hp. Top that all off with DOD, the fact that the 5.3L is FAR cheaper to manufacture, and the STELLAR aftermarket that already exists for it, not to mention the E85 capabilities, and you've got a fantastic mid-level engine. Did I mention the horsepower and torque curves on the 5.3L DON'T PEAK like the VQ's does?

Now just pretend that GM puts a better flowing Intake manifold and a newer cam in it, and expect much better numbers. Think it'll be outdated in a couple years? Probably, but that's what Direct Injection is for.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
#1.
Agreed
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll give you that one hydramatic, you did your homework. Though I never see those 5.3 stats on any of GM's LS4 sedans. Is that the stats for the trucks, or did GM underrate the 5.3?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
I don't want it to get 300hp, though. I'm talking about the REAL 5.3L and 6.0L versions that put out in the 315-375hp range. TRUST ME that is PLENTY for most Camaro buyers.

The argument about some V6's out there making around 300 hp is kind of unfounded. The V6 ya'll are probably talking about is the Nissan VQ35/37, I presume? The VQ35, straight from Nissans' website makes 306hp/268lb ft of torque. That's NOT a match for even a 5.3L which puts out 315hp/338lb/ft of torque. That's SEVENTY lb/ft of torque that seperates them, in addition to the 9 hp. Top that all off with DOD, the fact that the 5.3L is FAR cheaper to manufacture, and the STELLAR aftermarket that already exists for it, not to mention the E85 capabilities, and you've got a fantastic mid-level engine. Did I mention the horsepower and torque curves on the 5.3L DON'T PEAK like the VQ's does?

Now just pretend that GM puts a better flowing Intake manifold and a newer cam in it, and expect much better numbers. Think it'll be outdated in a couple years? Probably, but that's what Direct Injection is for.
exCUSE me,

this is prolly one of the V6's being referred to:

The Nissan GT-R will go on sale in the United States next year.

By DALE JEWETT
AutoWeek Magazine 10/16/07

Nissan's GT-R super coupe is set to be a star at next week's Tokyo motor show. So far, the best we've seen of the it are spy shots of prototype vehicles getting hammered around places such as Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca in Monterey, California, and along the famed Nurburgring race track in Germany.

That was then, this is now: Here's the new GT-R in all its un-disguised glory.

The reason you get to see it this week instead of next is simple--the embargo on information was broken by Motor Trend magazine which put the car on its December cover; an image of which was released to promote an award.

The Nissan GT-R will go toe-to-toe with the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo. The GT-R's twin-turbo V6 gives it a startling 0 to 60 mph time of near 3.5 seconds and a top speed of 192 mph. That V6 cranks out 473 hp and 433 lb-ft of torque, driving all four wheels through a rear-mounted transaxle. In between is a GR6 dual-clutch six-speed automatic you can operate via paddles on the steering wheel.

Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter02
Are we paying attention here, boys and girls?

It's a brand new day. Looks like the Skyline is finally hitting the States, but badged as the GT-R. And this puppy has pedigree, in case you've been hiding under a rock.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SixPak
exCUSE me,

this is prolly one of the V6's being referred to:

Are we paying attention here, boys and girls?

It's a brand new day. Looks like the Skyline is finally hitting the States, but badged as the GT-R. And this puppy has pedigree, in case you've been hiding under a rock.
Are you retarded? Seriously? I'm a huge Skyline fan, but that's not the Camaro's competitor by ANY means. Lot's of V6's have made more than 300hp in the past, just most of them were forced induction powerplants for very high performance vehicles...like the Skyline GT-R or Jaguar XJ220. Hell, the Porsche 911 has been making wicked 6-cylinder power for years...

For your information, I was referring to the VQ35 and VQ37. I know reading comprehension skills aren't too high with all the members of this board, but please read a little further than the first sentence next time....Unless you really believe that Nissan will EVER offer that sweet TT forged V6 in ANYTHING near the Camaro's price range, in which case, I simply cannot help you.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Are you retarded? Seriously?
No. I'm not retarded.

A little inattentive perhaps.

The argument about some V6's out there making around 300 hp is kind of unfounded. The V6 ya'll are probably talking about is the Nissan VQ35/37, I presume?
I missed your assumption refering to the VQ35/37, specifically, and based my comments on the statement you made regarding the V6's inability to produce 300+ hp.

Also, I didn't realize that you owned a 5 year old pickup truck.

I yield to your authority.

my bad.

Continue to enlighten us, please.

Last edited by SixPak; 10-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SixPak
No. I'm not retarded.

A little inattentive perhaps.

I missed your assumption refering to the VQ35/37, specifically, and based my comments on the statement you made regarding the V6's inability to produce 300+ hp.

Also, I didn't realize that you owned a 5 year old pickup truck.

I yield to your authority.

my bad.

Continue to enlighten us, please.

For the millionth time, the vehicle one drives has VERY LITTLE to do with their specific knowledge of a subject. For that matter, you must be making up for a little something something by driving a Corvette, right? That's about what you just said to me. See how stupid it is to stereotype based on vehicles?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

if anyone thinks its a good idea to give the "BASE" corvette the LS7 then your out of ur damn minds. the average person can NOT handle them like they think they could. the only people that should buy them in that case would be people like all of us. My mom is in her fifties and is thinking about buying a corvette. There is no way im letting her roll around a 500 hp vette. I can see it now, she walks in one day and says "well i needed to pass someone, so i just punched it and somehow i ended up in the ditch ???" this hp war is getting WAY out of control and its only going to lead to trouble. that and congress coming in and monitoring production.

I posted something similar to this on another thread. Some agreed, some didnt. I just cant believe more people dont talk about it. Im only 18 and this is how i feel....What do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think it would be great to get all these trims and engine choices everyone is talking about but will it happen?, no dont think so IMO. GM should get on here and see what all of us the real enthusiast have to say but they wont because there probably a lot more concerned with the 40 year old ladies that will be buyin the v6 model as the v6 is the real money maker. lol they will probably ask a 40 year old mom were the cup holder should go in a v6 than what we think engin options should be.

i vote for 1 v6 in the mid 250's and 2 v8's
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wldesyWS6
if anyone thinks its a good idea to give the "BASE" corvette the LS7 then your out of ur damn minds. the average person can NOT handle them like they think they could. the only people that should buy them in that case would be people like all of us. My mom is in her fifties and is thinking about buying a corvette. There is no way im letting her roll around a 500 hp vette. I can see it now, she walks in one day and says "well i needed to pass someone, so i just punched it and somehow i ended up in the ditch ???" this hp war is getting WAY out of control and its only going to lead to trouble. that and congress coming in and monitoring production.
I hate it when people start posting crap like this. Not just looking outside of the box, but also telling everyone it's BS.

Someone else said this, the only reason there are 400 HP Vettes rolling around is because there is a market for them. Hell maybe you should write a letter to Lambo saying the LP640 isn't really a economically viable car, and that these HP wars need to end...

I ******* applaud Chevy for making an exotic powered car for only $45,000 so that the average joe can experience the thrill that only the rich used to be able to.

Widesy, if you're really concerned about congress stepping in, then buy yourself an Aveo, or **** get a Prius.

The Vette gets 28/18 MPG with 430 horses, so as long as it doesn't fall into gas guzzler tax, congress doesnt give a ****.

If you can afford to drive around a sports car, then why wouldn't you?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

see a few friends die from cars like these and you might not think quite the same way...
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

See a few friends die from honda civic hybrids and you will at least want to die fast instead of in a 20mph cruise to a PETA march.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, in a way he's right. A LOT OF PEOPLE got killed in first-gen Vipers, and they were only pushing 400hp in the initial form. I don't think the LS7 will EVER be the base in any car, simply because it's too exotic and to expensive to make. A lot of you are forgetting where the Vette came from, its roots as a sports roadster, NOT a hyper-exotic supercar. Hell the first one had a >200hp I-6. Thrilling....No, I don't think there are enough nannies available to the Corvette chassis to EVER tame the LS7, not to mention there isn't an automatic present that has smooth enough shifts and can still be mounted in the back that could serve in the base model. Corvette buyers don't want 4L80E's and Powerglides, sorry!

The fact stands, the insurance companies are about %95 correct in their thoughts on cars like the Corvette....It could have a 4-cylinder and people would still wreck it and kill themselves, simply because the RWD and body styling really DO motivate someone to drive like a lunatic sometimes.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CayanneZ
See a few friends die from honda civic hybrids and you will at least want to die fast instead of in a 20mph cruise to a PETA march.
I don't even know why you brought PETA into this, that was stupid.

Hyrdra, the 1st gen Vipers with 400 horses weren't safe to begin with. I don't think they had airbags even

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010