Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?
Yes.
13.05%
No.
69.51%
I don't care.
17.44%
Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im keep my 98 Z28 and buy me a new camaro for DD. I know the 98-02 body you can make faster then the new body style b/c of weight.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't know how much the new Camaro will weigh. Its actually 7" smaller than the last Camaro, its possible that even though crash test standards have gone up, that there weight will be much more similar than you'd think
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Hell NO! I've always been partial to the TA over the camaro of any year they were made. Wouldn't trade my TA in for a Camaro no matter what year.

Wouldn't buy new camaro either - would rather have either the new Dodge coming out, or (God forbid) a new Mustang.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Hell NO! I've always been partial to the TA over the camaro of any year they were made. Wouldn't trade my TA in for a Camaro no matter what year.

Wouldn't buy new camaro either - would rather have either the new Dodge coming out, or (God forbid) a new Mustang.
You know, the Camaro and Firebird are brothers? There shouldn't be that much of a rivalry. I'd personally rather have a Firebird, but there isn't one yet, but I'd never go "Eff this ****, give me a 'Stang"
Old 08-25-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing against Camaros per say, I just like the Firebird styling much more & have since the 60's. I guess it depends on what you want a new car for. At this point I'm looking to replace my DD - not get another expensive car to take to shows.

Go to a car show anywhere - you'll see at least 50 Camaro's & 50 Chevelles from the musclecar days - they're a dime-a-dozen.

You see very few nice Firebirds of any year (my particular favorite was 77-78'). I want a car to take to a show that everyone and their brother DOESN'T have.

GM hasn't impressed me in quite a while, and I have been strictly a GM person since I was 16 - and just because they bring out a new Camaro (for God only knows how much) doesn't mean I'm gonna do cartwheels.

I was just looking at a new Solstice - almost $30,000 for a 4-cylinder!

My TA is literally at least twice the car as a Solstice and cost me $27,000 new.

I want a car for a daily driver with great styling, with a V6 or V8 engine, that doesn't cost as much as a house. The new Camaro could never be a daily driver for me-it would end up setting in the garage like the TA, and I have enough of those kind of cars right now.

With the Ford Plan that I am on I can get a fully loaded Mustang GT Vert for $24,000. I'm not even sure you can get a Cobalt SS for that much (not that I would want one).

So I will be trading in my Grand Am for my next daily driver of either a Mustang, Challenger, or previously owned BMW.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Adding to collection
Attached Thumbnails Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?-picture008-2.jpg  
Old 08-26-2007, 09:18 PM

This has been a great thread to read...i have been debating on trading my SS in for a 07 silverado with monster wheels. but it has been very hard figuring out what i wanna do ive attempted to trade in my ss twice and was offered 10 to 12 thousand. with my new promotion im gonna attemp to keep my ss and buy the silverado and see what happens financially. ive had an 84z28 which was totalled, 91rs which was stolen and totalled, then my 02 ss that ive got more *** in, more compliaments, and the take off is just crazy compared to other cars. my only prob is i still owe 18k but after reading this thread i think im gonna stay broke and pay for two cars what the hell.

should i trade my ss for this puppy

Last edited by chevyryda2002ss; 08-27-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I was just looking at a new Solstice - almost $30,000 for a 4-cylinder!

My TA is literally at least twice the car as a Solstice and cost me $27,000 new.

With the Ford Plan that I am on I can get a fully loaded Mustang GT Vert for $24,000. I'm not even sure you can get a Cobalt SS for that much (not that I would want one).
Your making GM look like a scam here buddy. A Solstice GXP with a turbo charger, 260 HP, on a hard to get your hands on car for just under $30k isn't bad. I've actually seen this car beat a Firebird Formula LS1, and with cruise control, the 2.0 liter engine can get 41mpg!!!

The Colbalt SS Supercharged, the highest model cost $20k new

and a new Mustang GT 'vert fully loaded for $24k? LMAO, try $31k, and a 2.0 liter Solstice can keep up with it
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Ist off, the Solstice I was looking at was a plain old Ecotech (4) chipmunk engine for almost $30K - not some supercharged 260hp car

Secondly - don't give a rats *** about 41 mpg - I'm one of those bad bad Republicans that you hear the Liberal Democrats talk of that only care about themselves and are ruining the planet for our children.

Didn't know the cost of a Cobalt cause I never looked at them - but I'll believe ya

And my price for the Mustang is indeed MY cost (plus taxes/destination) - with the Ford Partnership Plan that I am on - all I do is walk in the dealer, tell them what I want, they look in the 'special' book and the price is what the price is - already did that when I test drove the car.

For 32 years I was strictly a GM guy - but not necessarily so any more. I've had so many GM cars since I was 16 that I've lost count. Nothing they have excites me right now...
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

im with the majority here. keep the old and get the new. i wish i still had my WS6 or my SS.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1holic has the right idea. Its already getting harder and harder to get your hands on a TA/z28, and 20 years from now when the 4th gens will be near impossible to find, but the 5th gens (GM plans to sell at least 100,000 a year) will be more plentiful, those who traded their 4th generation in will go "Damn, wish I still had my LS1"

Don't get me wrong, the new Camaro is going to be bad ***
Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I have a 2002 SOM Z28 that I bought brand-new and I have plans to turn it into an 11-second daily driver. I just have a feeling that, when the new Camaro comes out, I'm not going to like my 2002 SOM Z28 as much. I can easily convince myself that my solid rear-axle, relatively lightweight Z28 does have its advantages on the dragstrip, but in the end, it's still the older car with the crappy 90's GM interior (a fact, not an opinion). So, I'm thinking about selling it and I'll probably get a decent amount of money for it since it does have the over-rated SOM color, no internal engine modifications, and has the 1SC (stripped-down) options package. And, since the new Camaro hasn't come out yet, now would be the best time to sell it, before its inflated market value of $15,000 turns into $5,000 at the end of 2008. My only problem with selling the car is that I went through blood, sweat, and tears just to pay it off. It has a lot of sentimental value.

Would you sell yours for my same reasons? or would you keep it? Why or why not? Thanks in advance for the replies.
Keep It!! It's payed for and it's a great car. Keep it and buy a new one. So what if you have to add on to the garage.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will keep my current F body and possibly get a new one if it's light enough and comes out with a S/C version. There is talk of a S/C version according to this link>> http://www.larichechevy.com/2009camaro.htm
Time will only tell.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

sell your 4th gen cars you don't want to my brother and I. these cars are going to be the next foxbody stang. try to find a decent one of those under 5000. As far as the 09 Camaro goes if you like buy it. I myself would rather not pay for one and keep driving the one i have now until it falls apart and with over 100000 go out and whoop on the the new one.

Last edited by JohnFrazee02SS; 09-02-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

im with the majority, have em both. Im trying to fininsh paying off my 01 by years end and save my income tax return for the down payment. I wanna wait for an ss model though. I think if you can swing it have em both, most everyone has a bond with their f body. keep it going and double that good ol feeling!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

dude, this is what you do. Keep your Camaro it will be paid off and fast as a ****. Wait for the new Camaro to be out for a year or two. When the prices come now a bit and you can see all the different things you can do with that new Camaro, THEN you go out and buy you one......get the best of both worlds!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id like to keep my 4th gen, Was my first car and I have a real love for it. When I can afford a 5th gen I will take my 4th gen and rip out the weak V6 and drop in a LSX motor
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Teching In

look at how rare the 1st gen are to get your hands on. becasue plain and simple they are going away. so at the rate. of younger guys owning a 4th gen they are also going away fast. so 10 years from now the 4th gen will be in the same spot. the once that will sell will hate them self for selling for new crap. the 4th gen will be the best f-body build do to the fact the ls1 ls6 motors are so great. right now on the market a ls1 with trany sells for around 2500 with hight miles. and 3500 for a low and about 5000 for a new one. i say its worth keeping it. cover it up drive it once a week. if you **** is paid for why sell. people are haveing hard times paying off a neon.lol i will keep mine and race it till i die. i made the mistake once selling my paid off 2000 t/a. i hate it my self for 4 long years but now i got a 2nd chance and i jumped on it. so do what your heart is telling you. i am keeping my 2000 ws6 formula. if later i can buy a new body style i may get one.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

im not getting the new camaro, im keeping my car.

the new camaro is a glorified GTO thats gonna weigh just about the same as the gto.

oh yeah and not to mention the dubs that come w/ it :

-brandon
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Hell no don't get rid of you f-body. You can keep modding the f-body and just roll out in the new one. besides most of the recent f-bodies should be paid off so you can afford a new car. Plus you won't get **** for a f-body once the new one comes out. I cant wait for it...

Quick Reply: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?