Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?
Yes.
13.05%
No.
69.51%
I don't care.
17.44%
Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars a very reliable, even with high miles....So issues with them breaking later on are not going to be a problem...

We have a better drag setup, the new on is IRS all the racing guys are going to stick to 4th gens for a car to build

And we have huge aftermarket support etc
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Our cars a very reliable, even with high miles....So issues with them breaking later on are not going to be a problem...

We have a better drag setup, the new on is IRS all the racing guys are going to stick to 4th gens for a car to build

And we have huge aftermarket support etc
the current engine aftermarket will also apply to the new camaro.
right about everything else.

yes i sold mine alredy anyway,
kinda regret it,
02 Onyx black SS hardtop, ebony, int. SLP susp. package,
35th ani. edition, torxen lsd, etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomozey
right now on the market a ls1 with trany sells for around 2500 with hight miles. and 3500 for a low and about 5000 for a new one. i say its worth keeping it.
Where do you live? I can't find an LS1 with any amount of miles around me for less than $8000 (even a '99 with 100,000 miles)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Only people that will keep their 4th gens are:

- People that can't afford the 5th gen.
- People that plan to buy a 5th gen in addition to their 4th gen (like me ).
- People that really don't like the 5th gen and choose to keep fixing their 4th gen till something else comes along that they like.
Call me crazy, but I doubt I will be selling my 4th Gen (1999 Z28) and don't fall into any of those categories. I will be able to afford a 5th Gen when it comes out because I will have my Mechanical Engineering degree, I doubt I would have two Camaros in the garage (unless I move down South or out West), and I think the 5th Gen is sexy. Some people just like to cherish what they've got. Hell, this is my first car and it's been doing fine so far
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevyryda2002ss
This has been a great thread to read...i have been debating on trading my SS in for a 07 silverado with monster wheels. but it has been very hard figuring out what i wanna do ive attempted to trade in my ss twice and was offered 10 to 12 thousand. with my new promotion im gonna attemp to keep my ss and buy the silverado and see what happens financially. ive had an 84z28 which was totalled, 91rs which was stolen and totalled, then my 02 ss that ive got more *** in, more compliaments, and the take off is just crazy compared to other cars. my only prob is i still owe 18k but after reading this thread i think im gonna stay broke and pay for two cars what the hell.

should i trade my ss for this puppy
How much do they want for that puppy? I'm starting truck research for after I earn my Mechanical Engineering B.S. (That would be if I stay up North and use it for a DD)
Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Just sold mine and got a Sierra in preperation for the 09/10. Once over 100k the black book comes into play and with 152k on a 99 I was only offered $3500 from dealerships. Once the 09 hits the floors value is gonna drop. Hopefully GM will offer some sort of return customer rebate like Ford is for the Mustangs. Unless you plan on selling it yourself like I did expect a loss.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

8585nkmnk.

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-02-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

I will NEVER sell mine.....absolutely EVERYWHERE I go..people ask me about it, or are looking...there are only 4-6 WS6's in the 100 mile area. Would be dumb to sell.. I bought my car new..ordered it, in fact.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I will give up my 98Z when they pry my cold dead hands from around it !!
Why ?? Ill give you 3 good reasons.

1- It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.
2- I get 26 mpg.
3- I can pull the 150 speedo off the scale !

Unlike some people here who seem to have more money than sense,
I see no reason to abandon my ride just because its not the newest trendy thing out there.
I didnt buy my car as an investment to cash in, I bought it to drive.

I dont care what they say its NOT ok to be gay !!

. .
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way. The new Camaro's going to be a big, fat, heavy pig. Yea, it will have a better powerplant and driveline, but it'll also have a much bigger price tag and it'll be a lot harder to make fast since it'll be several hundred pounds heavier. It's a lot easier to add horsepower than take off weight, remember that. The weight of this car is going to be a big problem. IRS won't help, either.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

I like my ss and plan on keeping it but a camaro on dubs with 500 hp would be bitchin...
Oh wait, I can just forge my internals for that and have way more hp
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well, for me the biggest selling point of the 5th gen is it's powerplant. While nobody is sure what's going to go in the V8 car, you know it's gonna be awesome. My guess is that it will be the LS3 with Active Fuel Management plus Direct Injection and can run E85. I'm thinking this motor will make 450+ crank HP because it raises compression to 11.5/1 all while making 30+MPG due to AFM. It really is the best of both worlds! With the current LS3 making 430 crank HP at 10.5/1 compression, this is not far fetched thinking.

Now, my '00 Z/28 is my daily driver, it's paid for, and I'm thinking that I'd love to get a crate LS3 with all of those goodies and maybe get the heads ported, a big streetable cam, and drop it in with all my bolt-ons, dyno tune it and call it a 500+ HP 30+MPG day.

Let's face it, the LS1 is gen III architecture and the LS3 in the form described above will be gen V. It's hard to not feel like technology is finally passing up the mighty LS1. But, this was innevitable and we have to take it in stride.

I know I'm not alone when I say the 4th Gens are going to be classics one day, of this I am certain! The lines on the 4th Gens are so much nicer than the 5th Gen IMO. Hell, all the work we put into our cars doesn't have to be lost either if you want to just do a motor swap.

You could be well ahead of the 5th Gen in terms of power, you can keep modding further if you want without voiding your warranty and you'll look better doing it!

Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 10-04-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

You guys would be dumb too.... with a few more $$$$ into your motors you coudl crush these things... also i ll bet a 4th gen will out run the new one stock vs stock
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
No way. The new Camaro's going to be a big, fat, heavy pig. Yea, it will have a better powerplant and driveline, but it'll also have a much bigger price tag and it'll be a lot harder to make fast since it'll be several hundred pounds heavier. It's a lot easier to add horsepower than take off weight, remember that. The weight of this car is going to be a big problem. IRS won't help, either.
The **** do you know?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Default Sell the old Camaro?

You guys forgot about insurance for that new one. My 2000 SS has been paid off and my insurance is about 1k a year. The new Camaro with an LS3 or bigger and fully loaded, you're looking at probably 700.00-1000.00 a month just to keep on the road. If you can afford that kind of payments, I envy you! Because I want one! I'll stick to my modified SS that just cost me 1k a year plus a little gas for the weekends only.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I bought my car used and in poor condition. I have busted my *** to restore it. Not my first car but my first v8, I love this car. Its not the nices car but its my beast, my baby.
It shouldn't come down to which one has more shinny ****. One should look at how much work and time they have spent on their car then ask is my work worth selling to get a shinnier car. As for me I'm keeping mine and getting the 5th gen
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

No car payment vs. car payment? Wow, that's a tough one
Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been considering selling my ta while i can get a little for it, i bought it right out of high school and paid every penny for it but it still doesnt mean what my truck does to me. Only prob is i cant dd my truck with 12mpg and 195k lol but i dont want to buy another car until im out of college either..so yea no clue what to do..o and i dont even want a new camaro ill settle for a used vette. I also do not see 4th gens aging like 3rd gens do, i mean my cars ten years old and competes with cars in the same class today and imo looks better, lets look at a 92 3rd gen in 02, was old looking and power didnt even compare, so i think 4th gens have a little more going for them then some cars

Last edited by 98NATA; 11-08-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you think about it, how many people do you think sold their '67 Camaro's when the second gens came out, and now wish they had their '67 back?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My thoughts exactly.

It's actually surprising how few clean LS1 F-bodies I see on the road. Still quite a few nice ones on the show circuit, but the stuff I see driving around daily is getting pretty rough. Mostly due to the harsh winters around here.
I think this right on the money. When I bought my 1999 Formula two and a half years ago I was looking for something clean to have some fun with, wasn't going to be my DD, just a toy. At the time I looked at GN's, 5.0 Mustangs, LT1 cars and LS1 cars. Initially my thinking was to keep the price around 7K or so. Well, GN's that aren't all tore up go for 2 or 3 times that. A CLEAN 5.0 Mustang is at least 10 to 12k and a good LT1 car can be had for about 5-7K, all prices NJ dollars. I ended up with the best of the bunch, the 99 Formula (paid 16k), but my point is that I don't think the 4th gen cars will nose dive in price if they are good clean examples. And if everyone adopts the opinion of "sell now before the market crashed" you flood the market anyway and the prices dips further. On trade I am sure you would get killed (don't you always), the dealer doesn't want yesterday's news. But good clean cars will hold steady. I'd fear the cost of fuel more than the 2009 Camaro.

My two cents.
Chris

Quick Reply: Should we sell our current f-bodies now, because the new Camaro is coming out?