Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro Goes Hybrid, As GM Axes Rear-Drive Impala, LaCrosse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate the government regulations for gas mileage and ****. **** all those people who think they're better because they drive a piece of **** prius. Yeah, I drive a truck, but I probably do a quarter of driving that those people do. See how in the end it works out to be almost the same?
I don't really care if people want to "save the earth" and believe in global warming, but it's **** like this that pisses me off.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
GM has said all along that Camaro will be priced competitively with equivalent Mustangs.
Until they say something else, that is the bottom line.

From another site regarding this article:
This, combined with the "...new engine unlike anything you've ever seen..." Comment gives me the feeling that GM already planned for this, and they are really gauging the reaction to a loss of the RWD sedans to be built on the Zeta platform. I for one hope they still go through with the Impala on the Zeta, and I think Buick really deserves a chance to have a good car for once.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't make em.

You know, I was wondering if the Zeta platform could be modified to accept front or AWD drivetrains..... A FWD Impala with RWD or AWD optional would be cool as ****.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do believe global warming is real. But regardless, there's nothing we can do about it. You'd need every single country in the world to agree on new standards to change anything, and that's not going to happen. GM is blaming alot of this on the new CAFE ratings. Yea, they're something to deal with, but if it were as bad as they make it seem they wouldn't have kept going through with the G8 or Camaro. It's easier to keep cancelling cars and blame it on CAFE so everyone hates the EPA instead of GM. And to the person saying 35 mpg shouldn't be for performance cars, all cars themselves I don't believe have to get that. I think that's what the fleet average has to be. So if youre gonna have a bunch of gas hogs theyre gonna need to have a bunch of cars getting 40mpg to even it out. GM is working on alot of new technology so I think alot of this is BS. They're already working on a direct injection V8 something like 4.9L that makes 326 hp and gets pretty good mileage. At this point I'd rather just mod a Mustang that costs under 30 grand than go by a Camaro for who knows how much or a Challenger SRT8 for over 40 grand.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is rather shitty of GM, already claiming they're going to mark up the V8's.. Looks like I'm going to buy a V6, and swap an LS6 in it.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 20SS07
They're already working on a direct injection V8 something like 4.9L that makes 326 hp and gets pretty good mileage. .

I hope that wasn't the V8 that was cancelled. Sounds interesting, I'd like to read more about it
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Turbo Diesel anyone

W
Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Oh well , my old 02 Z/28 Vert is lookin better & better . But what about all the poor slobs that sold their F-bodies in anticipation of buying one of the first new Camaro's .
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Oh well , my old 02 Z/28 Vert is lookin better & better . But what about all the poor slobs that sold their F-bodies in anticipation of buying one of the first new Camaro's .
I guess they'll be getting either a badass LS3 Camaro or a PoS hybrid that costs 3 times what it should and generates 3 times less HP then most people are probably expecting.

*Hopes for LS3*
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmy169
I don't get it, I've seen commercials of many new gas economy cars they are supposed to be producing, including one's that need no gas, or the plug in electric cars (the volt looks awsome)...so why are they so worried, unless all those commercials where just of concept cars that they never planned to produce and just did the concepts for the spotlight?
Because they are concept cars and the Volt is depending on technology that doesn't yet exist and may not exist.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

im pretty sure gm knows what we want...but the majority of people out there would deal with the 6cyl if its got plenty of power, or a low level v8, give us something we want and we are willing to pay a little more for...I think thats what we will be seeing along with DOD on any v8
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Why don't they just make an LS5...5.0 litres, DI, VVT, DOD...something that would be cheap and easy to mod would be nice.

W
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I will likely buy a new V8 Mustang before any "dual-mode hybrid V8" or turbo V6 Camaro.

I've already got two Camaros. Maybe it's time I add a Ford.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a lot of great points made on this thread...
but for me..
1) i dont believe in global warming
2) we cant drill in alaska for oil and near the gulf b/c democrats wont let us
3) a hybrid camaro? i mean cmon but i see the reasoning behind it. people are not going to drive camaros as a cross country vehicle thats not what they are made for. weekend cruisers yes but PERFORMANCE, racing. do most of you disagree with this???

idk judging by the 4100lb tank challenger thats comin out and... screw this im not buyin a stang and then this hybrid camaro imight as well just keep my ol LS1
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why don't they just make an LS5...5.0 litres, DI, VVT, DOD...something that would be cheap and easy to mod would be nice.

W
i agree a 5.0 LSX camaro thats cheap to build reasonably light and really easy to mod and responds as well as any other LSX platform. but too late for that
Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TriShield
Because they are concept cars and the Volt is depending on technology that doesn't yet exist and may not exist.
Didn't they already have electric plug in car's out before? Back in the mid 90's?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Didn't they already have electric plug in car's out before? Back in the mid 90's?
yea they sure did, and i had one. ****** didnt even last 15 min
Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say that even though the new camaro will be coming out, whatever v8 does come in it will be tuned WAY down and have a whole bunch of new wierd security or program to create best mileage...Luckily the new ecu should be the same as they are on any other gm vehicle and we can get them tuned and flashed to our liking. Just a thought, anyone else have this theory?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is all heavily begening to remind me of that bullshit emissions control.. **** from the early 90's and late 80's, where everything had a "Smog Pump" and was tuned to be a piece of giant ****.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Highway isn't overall or average consumption though.

My GTO averages 16-18mpg per tank overall and my Grand National averaged 12-16mpg per tank overall.
sorry but learn to drive...my heavy *** T/A with the mods that I have and bad idle tuning still pulls 20-22mpg mixed highway and city, on an A4 and bigger stall. A GN should be pulling 27+ all day if you aren't beating it at every stoplight. I don't think we can use you as an example for what kind of gas mileage a turbo car gets...

why not look at the potential instead? a few years ago Car Craft magazine held a real street eliminator testing various cars for all around street manners. In this one, the GN won because it ran something like low 12's and pulled 40mpg. Having been a member of the GN community for a long time, I can say 40mpg is unusual but not that far off from the norm...
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Things to worry about: Air pollution, mercury in water, nuclear waste, deforestation, fresh water consumption, overpopulation, pesticides, acid rain, lions, tiger, bears, and homosexuals.
The human race is speeding to the edge of a cliff with no brakes.
I say screw it, burn some gas. Just make it cheaper so we can hurry this up.