Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

l99 vs ls3

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Never said it was.
Then what was the purpose of typing the phrase "sports car"?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 325trooper
Then what was the purpose of typing the phrase "sports car"?
Read what RPM WS6 was originally replying to (NineBall's post).
Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I doubt you'll feel much more off-the-line grunt with a 3.27 geared A6/L99 Camaro than you would with the 2.56-2.73 geared A6/LS2 or LS3 Corvette. Keep in mind the weight difference of about 700lbs. That's a lot of extra weight to spring, and I'm sure this is why GM chose such aggressive gearing in the first place. Otherwise, a 3900lb/400hp car would feel no quicker than an old LS1 Camaro with 3.23s and 3400-3500lb weight.

I was just showing the gearing differences between the two for a comparison. I don't think anyone expects the Camaro to beat the C6 in the 1/4, especially when it's a fat pig at 3,900-lbs. GM lists the A6 Camaro as slightly quicker than the MN6 Camaro in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile, which has to be at least somewhat attributed to the gearing of the A6.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned

Whats the actual difference between the l99 and the ls3? What did they do to the ls3 to make the l99 less powerful. Smaller camshaft I bet or different heads? I am also wondering what went through their head when they decided this. Two engines w/ the same displacement for different trannys. Wow talk about not using your noggin.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Uh the difference is the displacement on demand which does not work with manual. All the difference is going to be in the valvetrain.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevenp
Whats the actual difference between the l99 and the ls3? What did they do to the ls3 to make the l99 less powerful. Smaller camshaft I bet or different heads? I am also wondering what went through their head when they decided this. Two engines w/ the same displacement for different trannys. Wow talk about not using your noggin.
L99 had a camshaft specifically for DoD/AFM. this gives it less HP but better MPG due to the lobes on 4 of the cylinders being less agressive.

AFM can not be used with a manual but can with an auto.

Last edited by 383ss; 08-20-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

^^No, because according to Nineball he would not be a "real man" if he gets the auto... jk
Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Banned

Relax I'm still learning. Im not exactly an expert at this, yet
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 383ss
the decision is obvious, especially with $4/gal gas
Why not make the car lighter instead? The LS3 C6 gets better mileage without DOD.

DOD =
Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Why not make the car lighter instead? The LS3 C6 gets better mileage without DOD.

DOD =
do you seriously think GM did not make this car as light as they possibly could?

Originally Posted by stevenp
Relax I'm still learning. Im not exactly an expert at this, yet
sorry I came off as harsh, bad day yesterday.

there is a ton of info on here, most people don't seem to want to search before asking repetitive questions. I know I've probably been guilty of it too.

Last edited by 383ss; 08-20-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Two of my cars I've had in the past had "manual shifting automatics". I can tell you even if there is a pause, it is much more fun shifting through the gears than the regular automatic.

The best thing is you can have fun shifting the gears and when you hit heavy traffic you can switch it back to auto.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

do you seriously think GM did not make this car as light as they possibly could?
Its bigger than I expected. IRS is great & all but im one of those people who would rather have something light/ cheap to start out with!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yes, I seriously think they did not. They made a bunch of stuff standard that didn't need to be, and weight could have easily been 200lbs less on a stripper model, plus they could have looked at more composite panels like the 4th gens (rather than so much steel). Yes, steel is probably cheaper, but the costs could have been offset by negating the need for the development and production of the L99 and all associated hardware/software. Just put an LS3 in both trans types...cheaper, simpler.

I think with a 200lb weight reduction (and, as an added bonus, less aggressive gearing needed for the same 'grunt' due to less weight), there would be no need for DOD to meet their MPG target.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I seriously think they did not. They made a bunch of stuff standard that didn't need to be, and weight could have easily been 200lbs less on a stripper model, plus they could have looked at more composite panels like the 4th gens (rather than so much steel). Yes, steel is probably cheaper, but the costs could have been offset by negating the need for the development and production of the L99 and all associated hardware/software. Just put an LS3 in both trans types...cheaper, simpler.

I think with a 200lb weight reduction (and, as an added bonus, less aggressive gearing needed for the same 'grunt' due to less weight), there would be no need for DOD to meet their MPG target.
I totally agree here. Weight is the enemy of gas mileage and performance. The ugly 20" wagon wheels with 29" tall tires would be a good place to lose 100lbs right off the bat. All the dumb side air bags (that are not required by law) as well as electric reclining seats and other fluff should be options.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Side Airbags = Overkill

I think seat belts alone do fine
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Teching In

I for one am extremely pissed about not having a ls3 A6 option. I plan on getting a new camaro, and this l99 only with afm is making me look closer to the vette. by the time the camaro comes out I would have waited 6 years for it, and it is not going to be what i wanted. If someone wanted great mpg they could get a different car or get the v6. I give mad props to all 6spd guys that can run consistent times, but i cant. I also think a properly stalled auto can beat a 6spd with the same mods. The big question is will it be difficult to get rid of the afm. What changes will have to be made. A bigger fear of mine is how much it will cost. The srt8 bases for more than 41k. I think we can all agree the ss will be around that cost. With no entry level v8 option z28 many people will not be able to afford this car and will be looking at gt's and rt's.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Wallywall
It's just like manually running through gears on an A4...Pointless.
No, not really.
I have both an A4 (Z28) and an A6 (Corvette) and shifting the A6 (designed to be shifted manually) is worlds apart from shifting the A4 (which was NEVER meant to be manually shifted).
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mongoose z28
I for one am extremely pissed about not having a ls3 A6 option. I plan on getting a new camaro, and this l99 only with afm is making me look closer to the vette. by the time the camaro comes out I would have waited 6 years for it, and it is not going to be what i wanted. If someone wanted great mpg they could get a different car or get the v6. I give mad props to all 6spd guys that can run consistent times, but i cant. I also think a properly stalled auto can beat a 6spd with the same mods. The big question is will it be difficult to get rid of the afm. What changes will have to be made. A bigger fear of mine is how much it will cost. The srt8 bases for more than 41k. I think we can all agree the ss will be around that cost. With no entry level v8 option z28 many people will not be able to afford this car and will be looking at gt's and rt's.
There is no way they will cost the same. The SS cannot be over 35k or it will not last! I think you can get rid of the AFM with a tune but swapping the cam gets complicated. I too dont understand why all the SS's dont come with the LS3. I hope the price stays low enough to compete with the GT/RT's, since those are the main target!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wES6
There is no way they will cost the same. The SS cannot be over 35k or it will not last! I think you can get rid of the AFM with a tune but swapping the cam gets complicated. I too dont understand why all the SS's dont come with the LS3. I hope the price stays low enough to compete with the GT/RT's, since those are the main target!
You can de-activate AFM with a tune I believe, but getting rid of it requires a cam and lifters (removing heads necessary). The A6 is advertised as faster than the M6 which I find curious. I think they found that they needed less power to get the same performance, so they figured what the heck, let's get some better gas mileage. It still doesn't make sense though.

Price will not be 35k. That would be suicide.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Why all the hate against AFM? It is practically the same engine just with a MPG feature. You lose hardly any HP at all and if you mod the car it will probably be the first thing out the door.

I wonder if there will be a price difference between auto and manual. I would always get manual, period, as I hate the trans in the G8 I dont like how it shifts you get to the top of the gear and hit it and . . . shift. It is not very climactic.

On the price I keep hearing SS for under 30k so I dont see mid 30's except for maybe with a ton of options. I dont want options really just as long as its leather and not cloth interior on the cheaper SS. I hate cloth.

Quick Reply: l99 vs ls3