General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Garage floor coatings

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Garage floor coatings

Well I hope this qualifies as LSx related, since it's about the new home that is being built for my car. It's a 20 x 30 stick built garage with 14' ceiling, built completely away from the house as a "Man Room", WS6 sanctuary. I've waited a looong time for this.

I'm interesting if anyone has personally applied an epoxy floor coating and what type and problems or satisfaction you had. I'm thinking of using a 2 part with hardener and the top clear coat type. I know to go with a light color and probably going to add navy blue speckles to match the car. Going to put a large vinyl "screaming chicken" hood decal in the floor, where the car is parked, before the top coat goes on. I'll have to wait until spring for the concrete to warm up enough, just getting my shopping list done.

Any experience you have would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!

Leave it to the pros. I work in homes all day every day. I have seen all types of floor **** ups.

I got mine done by a real good company here localy. It cost me a total of 700 Bucks for a very large 2 car garage. My garage floor is as smooth as glass, and has been for almost 3 years(this after 2 engine pulls and tons of heavy work).

Now for the "do it your selfer". It looks like ****, well kind of. It looks like semi gloss latex paint which dulls with time.

The process the guys used was pretty intense. They acid etched the concrete, then sanded the floor, primered and filled all the imperfections. Waited a day then applied the epoxy in a 3 step process. One was the base color, 2 was the flake, then a form of clear.

It is well worth it.

If you want more shot's just ask. . . This can not be achieved by doing it your self.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

searched..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...-coatings.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...r-options.html
Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey thanks, I did search but didn't get those threads. Must have used the wrong words.

Like I said, I've got until spring and appreciate all the input anyone has.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Prep is the key. Waiting unitl spring may not be the best thing. By then it'll have all kinds of stuff on it. Applying it when new is best.

And if you don't have $700 to pay someone to do it, it can be done by yourself.

I used the rustoleum brand epoxy on my floor 9 years ago & it is still holding up & looks like new.
Granted the 'clearcoat' on the photo above makes it all shiny & all, but if it's slick when wet, it's not worth it.

(This is the only photo of my floor that I could find right now; http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...32867553SnbpHW )

Alos check out http://www.garagejournal.com/ for additional info.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

700 is pretty cheap.

I di du-coat-it on mine, came out good. I also washed, scrubbed, etched, scrubbed, etched the floor first. I did not go as far as to smooth & fix it, its a working garage.

Really made the garage brighter & nicer to work in.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Teching In

A lot of people have done their own and had very good results. Its all in the prep. I am doing a 30x32 garage and just the materials is $1125 with no flakes. I plan to use commerial grade epoxy from Wolverine Coatings. They have just started selling to the public sector. Contact Fred in Calif. for info.
at: [Fred@AlphaGarage.com]
Check out Garage Journal web site that PontiacFan gave above for pictures of people doing their own garage.

Last edited by nash; 11-21-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

I was also thinking of getting in acid etched and cleared. Anyone have one done like that?

But, mine came out very good for the Buck, in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Your floor looks great. The guy must have lost money when he did your floor. I did the 2 car garage in my house and wasn't hard to do just time consuming and doing prep right. A reason lot of floors come out bad is the concrete has moisture coming up and this caused problems. You can learn a lot from the Garage Journal web site about proper prep. I plan to do (the seperate from house) 30x32 garage this spring.

Last edited by nash; 11-22-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I think my floor is pretty much the best I have seen. Except for acid etched and stained.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It is better to do it when new. Time consuming but can be done yourself.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

If you do it yourself you need to let the concrete cure for at least 30 days before you can apply a coating.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

The biggest problem when getting it done or doing yourself is when the concrete tries to breathe through. It shows up as bubbles. . .And is hard to get rid of. Mine has about a hand full of bubles close to the garage door.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am finishing up my new garage addition and I'm going to be using that side for my Mill, Lathe and welding area. Will welding spatter and coolant grease and oils affect the coatings?

Since I live in Arizona I have heard horror stories about people coating thier garages and after you come home during the day, the tires are so hot that they stick to the coating and then peels it up.

I would like to do something since the concrete is brand new, but don't want to shoot myself either if it will not resist what I do for a hobby either.

Here are some before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Garage floor coatings-dsc00276.jpg   Garage floor coatings-dsc00534.jpg   Garage floor coatings-dsc00542.jpg   Garage floor coatings-dsc00545.jpg   Garage floor coatings-dsc00543.jpg  

Old 11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

I know the coating from Wolverine Coatings and other products are oil resistant and stand a lot of abuse. Contact the Fred@Alphagarge and he can provide information about this product. This expoxy was only sold for industrial proposes and not to general public. They had such a demand on GarageJournal for this product they set Fred up as the outlet to buy from. There was a guy named Budget Bob who dealt with overruns from manufacturers and sold this to public. He passed away around the first of year. A lot of good info on Gargage Journal about people who have tried different products and the results with pictures. That is how I decided on this product and came to the conclusion you get what you pay for.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

I am also in Arizona. Here is the place. Check these guys out.

I am not affiliated with them in any way. But, they are masters of their work.

They did a great job, and did not charge me any extra for my location(I live in the middle of absolute nowhere, 60 Miles out of town).

My flooring has not been effected, by the heat or tranny fluid. I have had a large problem with my other vehicle for a little while, and my floor was covered in trans. juice for almost a month.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, I will contact them and see what they have to offer.

I can't wait to finish up the garage, so I can get back to some fabrication work on my car.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Launching!

i did my garage myself and used the paint from home depot. I do not remember the brand right now. i acid etched the floor first and than applied the pre sealer to the floor and than painted it. I had less than 150 buck doing my complete garage. the house was built in dec of 00 and i did it in late 06. the floor has some stains in it, but it covered up great. I had no problem parking the car on it when the tires was hot. It did not peel. it was slicker when wet, but that was not a problem.

My dad did his and he did not put the pre-sealer down and his peels up when you park on it for a length of time. their house was built in late 75 or so.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.premiergarage.com/

Only the best. Got it done in my garage. Amazing quality. First they grind the cement, and put particles down and then seal it. Just read up on it on the website. Ill post pics when I get home on my laptop where my garage pics are.

Mike
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Premier does rock, but they were going to charge me about 35% more.

Quick Reply: Garage floor coatings