General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

highest hp on a 346 ls1 an 6.2 ls3 or equivalent?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Read man. The cobra was unterrated by 40 HP! And you found one site. Think about this. There are thousands of LSX with 390 RWHP and you dont think they dont run 12'5. Also the mustang is lighter than the T/A or Camaro... Just think about it. Mid 12's is very possible. All they need are DR and its a LOW 12 sec car Stock. Thanks to our REAR end...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Cobra

And i believe that BOTH COMPANIES AND CAR can get the job done in the drag strip. Mustang or Camaro, as long as its not a ricer were all good...
I'm not sure if you know this but wikipedia is NOT a credible site anyone can type whatever they want on there. As for this argument over Mach 1's and Cobra's against LS1 cars (I'm not including gt's b/c that would be a joke). The F-body with an LS1 is faster in the 1/4 compared to a Mach 1 its been proven over and over again and I have never seen a stock Mach 1 do better than a 13.6, and magazines can have cars sent to them that are tuned differently it's happened all through the years. If a stock Mach 1 did run a low 13 why would Ford build the Cobra to run high 12's with a supercharger it would be completely pointless.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Im gonna have to agree with Mr. GlasspacksTA. I mean i know that 13.6 is fast and that if we watch it happen in the quarter mile we could possibly miss the Mach speeds. I mean if the cars name has the word Mach in it I guess it should be fast. Wait I guess my Mach 3 razor would be a good matchup for the Cobra then. Well anyways single cam is where its at here cus we are not ricerish with our four cams so thats enough said for now.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by glasspackta
I'm not sure if you know this but wikipedia is NOT a credible site anyone can type whatever they want on there. As for this argument over Mach 1's and Cobra's against LS1 cars (I'm not including gt's b/c that would be a joke). The F-body with an LS1 is faster in the 1/4 compared to a Mach 1 its been proven over and over again and I have never seen a stock Mach 1 do better than a 13.6, and magazines can have cars sent to them that are tuned differently it's happened all through the years. If a stock Mach 1 did run a low 13 why would Ford build the Cobra to run high 12's with a supercharger it would be completely pointless.
We can all tell most of you people dont know **** about what you are talking about. Let me enlighten some of you. (few links at the bottom).

First off the OP stated the Cobra ran a 12.9 @ 111. Am I the only one that sees the 111 trap speed? Most cars run MID 12's with that trap. So with a high trap and low ET what does that tell you? The 60' sucks, they arent getting out of the hole at ALL. Hell I ran a 12.6 @ 106 5MPH slower.And have video to prove it on Youtube (search Pntbll309 and enjoy).

Second, why would Ford send a "modded" car for the magazines to test, knowing that people will buy them and be like "WTF ford said blah blah blah, Im not buying another Ford EVER". Why would they risk that? First they wouldnt. Second, a tune? You must be kidding. Thats what 50% of people do when they first get their cars.

Why would they have the Mach all motor run just a tad slower than the S/C'd Cobra? Because they can, and people buy them. The Cobra is plenty capible of a mid 12 second pass with good traction EASILY (remember the 111 trap?).
The Mach is going to be a solid 13.0-13.2 car with traction, hell it almost traps 107, which is what M/T clocked the 2000 T/A WS6 at, which ran a mid 13. The Mach1 also was a bit cheaper than the Cobra, giving Mustang owners a good "bang for the buck", kinda like the "f-body vs vette" idea.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ws6/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...500/index.html

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...h_1/index.html
Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny thing is, that neither Pntbll309 and I are disagreing with you on which motor is better. We are persay just correcting misinformation.
Then correct the MISINFORMATION YOU DISPUTED EARLIER WHEN YOU SAID A MOD MOTOR WAS SMALLER THAN A LSX. IT IS A PROVEN FACT OF PYHYSICS AND MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE YOU DON"T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IN ANY POST in this thread and just a Mod motor

Research it DUDE. LSx IS PHYSICALLY LIGHTER and SMALLER than a mod motor period There is NO disputing this fact

More cubes in a smaller package is why GM chose an OHV setup for their performance line of cars end of story.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anybody in this thread argueing about the differentiation in Mach's times, Cobra's times, whosever times, taken into consideration that every track you go to might possibly read differently. It's called DA (Density Altitude) something you youtube racers forget to realise when you see a car in North Arizona, in the middle of summer, on a shitty prepped ex-airport runway, run a 13.33, and say, "My god that car sucks....driver's shitty. My buddy has the same thing and ran a 12.00001." When truth be told, "buddy" was in New Jersey, sea level, 50* w/ 0 humidity and an extremely well prepared track. I can't stand these, "Look at the slip....or look on youtube."
Old 12-06-2008, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6
Has anybody in this thread argueing about the differentiation in Mach's times, Cobra's times, whosever times, taken into consideration that every track you go to might possibly read differently. It's called DA (Density Altitude) something you youtube racers forget to realise when you see a car in North Arizona, in the middle of summer, on a shitty prepped ex-airport runway, run a 13.33, and say, "My god that car sucks....driver's shitty. My buddy has the same thing and ran a 12.00001." When truth be told, "buddy" was in New Jersey, sea level, 50* w/ 0 humidity and an extremely well prepared track. I can't stand these, "Look at the slip....or look on youtube."
Then the same theory goes for your dyno numbers. Everyone reads differently. We go by posted times in magazines, because for the most parts they use the same facility to do their testing. So please GTFO you wannabe e-thug.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM

It's not completely unbelievable that a company might tune a car differently to pick up a few tenths in a 1/4 mile test. In many magazines such as high performance pontiac and super chevy they've shown old magazine test's from the 60's and 70's and revealed that the cars had been slightly modded. An example is the swiss cheese catalina's which were obviously faster than a regular catalina b/c they had holes cut out of the frame and has aluminum fenders and bumpers. They were used in the tests for the 421 SD cars and were advertised as regular cars off the showroom floor. It also seems like mustang owners just accept disappointment so they probably wouldn't flip out over their Mach 1's running a few tenths slower. An example is the new gt's a car with 300 hp running 15's thats embarassing.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow. An e-thug, when I am just stating the obvious? And I'm not throwing around my dyno # like I am greater/lesser than any stated person, so please take that comment and go sit in the corner. As for magazines, please. There's editorial bias everywhere you look (some good...some bad), and just like the case for the G8 (which since you saw my dyno number, I assume you can read, you should be able to see that I own one), some mags printed its times to be into the lower 13's. Funny, I have yet to see a stock one under 13.7 at any track, including myself personally. And why wouldn't they have an inflated number to trump the BMW, and Charger to form the "Most powerful sedan under 30k". Marketing. Take your aggressive *** on and go bully some small boys and girls in your neighborhood.

Last edited by '02 WS6; 12-06-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Wow. An e-thug, when I am just stating the obvious? And I'm not throwing around my dyno # like I am greater/lesser than any stated person, so please take that comment and go sit in the corner. As for magazines, please. There's editorial bias everywhere you look (some good...some bad), and just like the case for the G8 (which since you saw my dyno number, I assume you can read, you should be able to see that I own one), some mags printed its times to be into the lower 13's. Funny, I have yet to see a stock one under 13.7 at any track, including myself personally. And why wouldn't they have an inflated number to trump the BMW, and Charger to form the "Most powerful sedan under 30k". Marketing. Take your aggressive *** on and go bully some small boys and girls in your neighborhood.
First off your dyno numbers dont impress me. My car > your car.

Maybe you cant drive that G8 to its limits. Maybe you went on a bad night with a terrible DA. You come in here and mention DA like your the god of the 1/4 when your pretty uneducated about the situation.I would go bully the small girls in my neighborhood but you dont live close, sorry.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread isn't about my dyno numbers that you aren't impressed with (but it's funny how you've gone around on here complimenting people w/ same mods and less power so are you sure about your statement? ), and I don't care about YOUR car, and I am not claiming to be God. And actually, YOUR the one that sounds so uneducated about DA. Just like your 11's @ 6500DA and 12's @ 6500DA post, when actually it was 7254 w/ your 11's and 7357 w/ your 12's, but hey... still a good pass and props to you, but don't assume that it's always going to be 6500. For the record trust me, it's not hard to drive a completely stock G8 to its limits. Like I said hardass, go try to bully someone else like you seem to do (or try to) on here so much.

Last edited by '02 WS6; 12-09-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

This thread isn't about my dyno numbers that you aren't impressed with (but it's funny how you've gone around on here complimenting people w/ same mods and less power so are you sure about your statement? ), and I don't care about YOUR car, and I am not claiming to be God. And actually, YOUR the one that sounds so uneducated about DA. Just like your 11's @ 6500DA and 12's @ 6500DA post, when actually it was 7254ish w/ your 11's and 7428 w/ your 12's, but hey... still a good pass and props to you, but don't assume that it's always going to be 6500. For the record trust me, it's not hard to drive a completely stock G8 to its limits. Like I said hardass, go try to bully someone else like you seem to do (or try to) on here so much.
You are just plain ******* stupid. If you noticed I stated "over 6500 DA''. Well, what was I expecting, another ******* moron to not read. Oh well I guess thats why they dont do IQ tests to sign up on a forum.

And yea, I compliment people that are worth complimenting. You are far from being worth complimenting. I love the bully comment. It seems that my posts have all been to correct info, yours have just been full of half *** personal attacks. Learn about cars,learn about racing, and then come talk.

Its even more funny that you try and give a DA not knowing the temp,humid, nothing. LOLz to you and your making up of information.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Launching!

wow i was just looking for the Horsepower record for an NA 346 ls1...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

[B]First of all define slower? The stock C5 Z06 would tie the Stock Cobra... thats pretty fast in my books. Correction, I never said a cobra was running slower because it has an IRS all im trying to state is that it HINDERS the potential that the car has.
A stock c5z will put a stock 03-04 even a gt500 in their place anyday.I know this because ive done plenty of times, even rolls with a full bolt on 03-04 cobras. If modular motors are so badass how can an ls motor making 50-75rwhp hang with or beat ford modular cars? Ive got reasons; gm designs better flowing heads, cam design is better, making the power curve never drop. Most ls motors will generate power from 1500rpm and climb at a consistent rate until the revlimiter hits.

Also if the dohc or sohc engines are the greatest, how come ohv engine are used in the highest horsepower applications built. Personally I believe the greastest design created would be chrysler's 426 hemi. To this day its design has been carried over copied and master the create the most powerful v8s.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
they are all full of **** and pulling numbers out there ***. a bolton cobra R isnt going to make 450RWHP....WTF. those motors they are talking about are factory race motors pretty much. if chevy wanted to build a race motor from the factory you could bet it would beat the pants off a NA ford. and the dude with a 600RWHP 5.4 car is a pro race motor builder.....im sure his setup is nice and streetable.

http://www.karkraft.com/exotic_engines.htm
Off the Ford Falcon

Australian 5.4 Boss 290

DOHC Engine

Why this engine has never been available in the U.S.is beyond us! Factory installed in the Australian Falcon, this is 389 horsepower of bad ***! or 290 kw of power as the Aussies would rate it!

built on a Navigator short block, the Boss 290 incorporates 03/04 Cobra heads with a 2000 Cobra R style manifold set up. while the lower manifold is almost identical to the 2000 Cobra R except has smaller ports to fit the 03/04 cobra heads, it uses a large single blade drive by wire throttle body attached to the upper plenum style manifold. complete with all front accessories, tensioner and belt. engine has been run very little and looks like brand new inside and out. complete with harness and Australian ECU!

$7895.00
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by c5formula
well he says hes seen that 600rwhp 5.4 in person, never saw it drive but says AL papito claims it to be streetable. an as for the cobra r motor i thought they were race motors, i didnt think there was much more you could do to them..
Ford sells a 5.4 liter with 600 hp on fordracingparts.com for 18,000 bucks.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
Ford sells a 5.4 liter with 600 hp on fordracingparts.com for 18,000 bucks.
Yeah, that's a good deal
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Yeah, that's a good deal
yea, its a rip lol maybe when the R&D fall of the price.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=515518
Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FrkEBz06
A stock c5z will put a stock 03-04 even a gt500 in their place anyday.I know this because ive done plenty of times, even rolls with a full bolt on 03-04 cobras. If modular motors are so badass how can an ls motor making 50-75rwhp hang with or beat ford modular cars? Ive got reasons; gm designs better flowing heads, cam design is better, making the power curve never drop. Most ls motors will generate power from 1500rpm and climb at a consistent rate until the revlimiter hits.

Also if the dohc or sohc engines are the greatest, how come ohv engine are used in the highest horsepower applications built. Personally I believe the greastest design created would be chrysler's 426 hemi. To this day its design has been carried over copied and master the create the most powerful v8s.
your car weighs 600 lbs less. And on a str8 the 03/04 Cobra should hang dead even or better. On the track you should kill the Cobra.

You've beat moded Terminators? MY AZZ, only if they had bad drivers.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by FrkEBz06

This is true alot of ford people overlook that fact that the LSX motors have most of their power at any rpm and they develop their torque early and it barely drops till redline. Here's a link to a dyno sheet of a Magnacharged heads and cam GTO with a 6.0 just as an example. http://www.trifectaperformance.com/D...ellow_dyno.jpg
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
You are just plain ******* stupid. If you noticed I stated "over 6500 DA''. Well, what was I expecting, another ******* moron to not read. Oh well I guess thats why they dont do IQ tests to sign up on a forum.

And yea, I compliment people that are worth complimenting. You are far from being worth complimenting. I love the bully comment. It seems that my posts have all been to correct info, yours have just been full of half *** personal attacks. Learn about cars,learn about racing, and then come talk.

Its even more funny that you try and give a DA not knowing the temp,humid, nothing. LOLz to you and your making up of information.
It's called an Almanac, that's where I got my weather stats from. As you so love to say to other people, try a search, it's not that freaking hard. And about 50% of your posts are derrogatory towards others (yes I searched!). And the title clearly........11's @ 6500....12's @ 6500 sounds like you heard from a friend about what the DA was and just assumed it was always that. A little more clarity on your part would be benefitting, but instead you choose to take the gorilla path, filled with nonsense and profanity to try to get your point across. Opinions and hear-say are not correct info BTW, so your claims are strictly circumstantial. And read carefully dude, I am not bashing your nor talking ****. I had a general post, you chose to, or at least try to, get personal and start with the bashing. I even complimented your pass, and you still come at me. That's why when people like you start bashing other's IQ and can offer nothing but profane statements , the comments are so laughable in that YOU are the one that sounds so ignorant. I'm done. Please do the same so the OP's thread doesn't get Peace

James

Last edited by '02 WS6; 12-08-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: highest hp on a 346 ls1 an 6.2 ls3 or equivalent?