General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
No, all you need is a new flywheel and clutch.

Yea ok because that will cost him more than the price of the cobra to do what? Run the same time or worse than a cobra with 5K worth of mods.

I have seen cobra's for as low as 16K. Again, 5K then you buy brace ($250), Clutch and flywheel ($1000), 3.4L Whipple ($3700). 9 second car...
My buddies whippled Cobra has more than $4950 in it......
Old 12-25-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
haha yea, I was just stating that if you use the same engine combo as him your time will be significantly slower unless you do the weight reduction, which isnt practical for most people, since its their daily.
Right now my camaro is a daily drive, with no -a/c,front sway bar,cruise control,traction control,cloth seats,manual seats or windows, and pretty soon a new UMI k-member
Old 12-25-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea I thought about it for a min or two but then I thought, I could never own a Ford
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
My buddies whippled Cobra has more than $4950 in it......
Ha and he forgot to mention the full exhaust, intake, tune, etc...But all that stuff is included in the phrase "Mustang Stock" right? And of course it'd run 9s on stock tires because there's no way traction could be an issue or anything on Eagle F1's or whatever tires they come with when you have what, 650hp on tap or so?

Show me a Cobra with a 3.4 Whipple and a stock from the factory exhaust.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

SO much mis-information here about Cobras. Honestly, if you don't know what you're talking about please just keep it to yourself. The same goes for the LSx platform. This is a tech site and we appreciate factual information.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

I made the switch about a month ago. I got a steal of a deal though. 2003 10th anniversary car with 19,600 miles for 18.5k cash with the mods in my sig. The cars are different to say the least.

My Cobra is significanly faster than my big cammed SS was. I will be putting a 2.3 Whipple on in the Spring as well. I dont like the clutch in the Cobra or the seating position, or general interior ergos but I am getting used to it. The MGW Orange shifter def helps out.

Another thing that bothers me about the Cobra is the occasional wheel hop although it is very rare and the the rear bump steer when hitting bumps, uneven pavement etc.. on the freeway. It is no worse than the live axle was though.

The sound of my Cobra is intoxicating though. Def sounds better than an f-body except maybe at idle with a big cam.

All in all I am glad I made the switch. I have thought about it for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. Not to mention the mullet jokes were getting a little old.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Damn you stole that thing...
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Damn you stole that thing...
No kidding... an 02 Fbody with the same amount of miles would have fetched the same amount, if not more...
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

**** no keep your car
Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

LoL at the pushrod comments on the first page. 4valve dohc>pushrod. I would much rather change out the cams on a dohc motor than a pushrod. Look at the mach 1 engine, makes 320hp (almost as much as an ls1) with a 4.6liter n/a.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by airattack111
LoL at the pushrod comments on the first page. 4valve dohc>pushrod. I would much rather change out the cams on a dohc motor than a pushrod. Look at the mach 1 engine, makes 320hp (almost as much as an ls1) with a 4.6liter n/a.
wtf? cam swaps on an lsx are easy......and naturally 4 cams will cost more than one

If it aint broke dont fix it, pushrods motors work fine
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because its a DOHC, and you pull the valve cover, and voila...there are the cams....doesn't mean it's easier. 8-10 hour job for most first timers, due to the valvespring's difficulty. Numerous LS1 newbs have swapped one in 6-8 hrs, and when you know everything there is to it (bolt sizes, etc,) and have your tools easily accessible....4-6hrs.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i like cobras but i have never seen one in my area for under 20K

then again i wouldn't want a high mile one.

cobras are sexy and there should be no argument for that, but this is ls1tech we love fbodies obviously or anything with an ls

lol
Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big reg
I made the switch about a month ago. I got a steal of a deal though. 2003 10th anniversary car with 19,600 miles for 18.5k cash with the mods in my sig. The cars are different to say the least.

My Cobra is significanly faster than my big cammed SS was. I will be putting a 2.3 Whipple on in the Spring as well. I dont like the clutch in the Cobra or the seating position, or general interior ergos but I am getting used to it. The MGW Orange shifter def helps out.

Another thing that bothers me about the Cobra is the occasional wheel hop although it is very rare and the the rear bump steer when hitting bumps, uneven pavement etc.. on the freeway. It is no worse than the live axle was though.

The sound of my Cobra is intoxicating though. Def sounds better than an f-body except maybe at idle with a big cam.

All in all I am glad I made the switch. I have thought about it for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. Not to mention the mullet jokes were getting a little old.
I was in the same boat about 1 mth ago. Offered a trade for a silver 10th annv. 32k miles, and NO mods except Bassani CB.

Yes, Cobras sound INCREDIBLE, especially w/ LT's, and the blower whine does something to me that not even my Fiancee can!!! But there are some knacks.

Agreeing w/ you, clutch feel was different to me, (IIRC do they use twin discs?) and would take some time getting used to so you don't look like a homemade ******* machine bucking back and forth on takeoff's LOL.

Avoiding the dreaded "head tick" was one of my forefront thoughts.

Another neg. for me was the IRS, in that I knew I was going to mod the **** out of if, just like my WS6 and the IRS axles would eventually become a burden, and then a solid axle would be in order.

Another nit-picky reason, is I cannot STAND the Ford starter - GYEEGGGGIGGG!! And don't ever get 1/4 low on powersteering fluid! (Just a Ford stereotype - Don't know if the Cobra's have the powersteering whine or not.)

Those are just my reasons, so don't use them towards your own assessment. All in all, just do what you feel will suit you the best and run with it. You will have a badass fast car no matter which one you choose so have fun, go pick on Dodge's!!! LOL
Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02 T/A 984
i kinda feel for like the money i EXTRA money i spend on the terminator i could put that into the ls1 and rape that terminator but i could be wrong....please tell me im right i figure im only a set of heads, 4.10 gears, and a 150 shot away from destroying a terminator
With the mods you already have, you SHOULD be killing termi's already. My bolt on car is door to door with alot of the local terminators, save for the "modded" ones (pullied, kenne bell, whatever they got.)
Old 12-27-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by airattack111
lol at your ricer math.
Ford makes 320hp with an engine that weighs 520lbs, and is the size of a small house, while GM makes 350hp out of a 390lbs engine that's much smaller and more compact (and cheaper).
Pushrod > DOHC
Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
lol at your ricer math.
Ford makes 320hp with an engine that weighs 520lbs, and is the size of a small house, while GM makes 350hp out of a 390lbs engine that's much smaller and more compact (and cheaper).
Pushrod > DOHC
Just keep in mind that the fastest 4V DOHC car is much faster than the
fastest LSx based pushrod car. Arguing about how a car makes power is stupid. Personally, I would rather keep things simple (pushrod).
Old 12-27-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6

Agreeing w/ you, clutch feel was different to me, (IIRC do they use twin discs?) and would take some time getting used to so you don't look like a homemade ******* machine bucking back and forth on takeoff's LOL.
It is not a twin disk setup. It is cable operated, not hydraulic like most modern cars are hence the increased pedal effort. Other than that it is head and shoulders above my big cammed f-body in terms of drivability. It is amazing how tame these cars are yet so lethal when unleased. When my Whipple gets installed it will drive the same just with a shitload more power.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
SO much mis-information here about Cobras. Honestly, if you don't know what you're talking about please just keep it to yourself. The same goes for the LSx platform. This is a tech site and we appreciate factual information.
My god man I wish that was a sticky to remind people to stop talking out of their asses about **** they know nothing about.
How bad this is for your car, that car is nothing compared to this car, my friend had this car and said this and that...blah blah blah.

I do however love the fact that this site DOES have people in the mix who do know what they are talking about.

Oh and if it wasnt for the fact that I cannot afford a Cobra I would have one. My dream car is in fact an 03-04 Cobra.
My first choice was not a Convertible Z28 but for $2500 how could I have passed it up..Not saying I dont love my car but to the OP if you can get a Cobra man I say go for it!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big reg
It is not a twin disk setup. It is cable operated, not hydraulic like most modern cars are hence the increased pedal effort. Other than that it is head and shoulders above my big cammed f-body in terms of drivability. It is amazing how tame these cars are yet so lethal when unleased. When my Whipple gets installed it will drive the same just with a shitload more power.
OK then that's my own stupidity. Car that I was lookin @ trading for had a twin disk, and the owner said, "That's what it came with." So I interpreted that on my part as being stock. OOPS

Quick Reply: Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator