General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep your car and do this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...et-driver.html

you will be rolling with not many cars being able to touch you...

Last edited by will01; 12-23-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Wow, what a tough decision.

Personally, i don't think there is a better bang for the dollar when it comes to the f-body. Maybe a foxbod...i love gm and i think the price to build one over a cobra is cheaper. That's why, personally, the f-body is for me. You can get a nice f-body for under 10 and a cobra for low 20s...big difference there. Up to you.

So the t56 can handle 800rwhp untouched? Tell that to my buddy who had his rebuilt after a few bolt ons.
No, all you need is a new flywheel and clutch.

Originally Posted by will01
keep your car and do this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...et-driver.html

you will be rolling with not many cars being able to touch you...
Yea ok because that will cost him more than the price of the cobra to do what? Run the same time or worse than a cobra with 5K worth of mods.

I have seen cobra's for as low as 16K. Again, 5K then you buy brace ($250), Clutch and flywheel ($1000), 3.4L Whipple ($3700). 9 second car...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTRACER88

Yea ok because that will cost him more than the price of the cobra to do what? Run the same time or worse than a cobra with 5K worth of mods.

I have seen cobra's for as low as 16K. Again, 5K then you buy brace ($250), Clutch and flywheel ($1000), 3.4L Whipple ($3700). 9 second car...
No need to get personal, no one is attacking you or saying the cobra is a **** car and you don't need to do the rolling eyes thing like I am some dumb ***.

I like the cobra and I think it is a great car - but why get rid of the current car? The market is crap right now for used cars so there is a high chance he will lose money on the sale/trade of his current car. Then you have to find a decent terminator at a good price - not easy. Infact, I have not seen very many terminator cobra's @ $16K you mention.

If you check out the dyno section of LS1 Tech you will find many 346 ci and 376 ci FI applications that are running 10's and some in the 9s and the price is usually less than $10K or $12K for a good FI set-up. In fact, I am pushing 580 rwhp with my D1SC, no internal mods, 7lbs of boost, upgraded fuel system and it was just under $11K fully installed tuned.

So let's do the math: assuming he can find a terminator at $16K plus the $5K in mods you mention, that's $21K.

Keeping the current car and adding $12K for a full FI set-up (turbo or blown) is $9K less than the terminator option. There are number of ways to get a quick f-body without spending $20K, I happen to like FI applications but Nos can get you there for a hell of a lot cheaper than $12K.

9 second cars are not as common as you make them seem regardless of the brand (ford or chevy); it takes lots of cash, time and skill to crack that mark. If it were so easy, everyone would be running 9 seconds.

Last edited by will01; 12-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

there's more to it than flywheel and clutch, to hold that much power you need to replace the sheet metal keys in the gears, for billet keys. there are some other things that need to be upgraded as well to handle that power.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 T/A 984
i've never raced one and ive never drove one....so thats why i ask...for all i know i could beat one already or i could be far from it....the way people talk bout these cars is their gods against the ls1....so just wondering

your current power is enough to beat an 03-04 cobra. you would be going backwards in performance
Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

16k...are you on drugs?? start adding all the little things that you have to do and it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive than 5k too.

If it were that easy, everyone would have a damn cobra, truth is, it's not that damn easy to run a 9. let alone at the price ur talking.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

cobras are too overpriced... procharge the t/a and smoke modded cobras for less money....
Old 12-24-2008, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep the ls1. pushrods is real muscle. fords have to supercharge to keep up. imagine if u were to supercharge the LS1....it would be untouchable against a terminator

my buddy disappointed me when he decided to get rid of his T/A for a terminator
Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen a cobra under 20k..........yet I see ls-1 fbodies under $8,000 all the time. I daily drive my cammed out camaro all the time with drag suspension and I ******* love it, only a hardcore gearhaed can appreciate the raw feeling of an f-body. And I can fold the back seats and fit an entire ******* drum set in there. Get sfc and starno suspension if ride quality if a real concern of yours.

If you ever upgrade over an ls-1 f-body get a c5 z06 or a c6 z5-1..heck ive seen clean low milage c6 vettes go cheaper than a cobra!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I shall say the opposite. The Cobras are built to handle 800 RWHP STOCK. Since the car is supercharged, new flywheel ($1000), IRS brace ($250) and Whipple 3.4L($3800) and you have atleast 700 RWHP car. IMO COBRA... they are really easy to build fast.
lol... like its that easy. go on svt performance.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No...
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 406malibu
there's more to it than flywheel and clutch, to hold that much power you need to replace the sheet metal keys in the gears, for billet keys. there are some other things that need to be upgraded as well to handle that power.
not to mention you need to replace the input shaft. hell, muscle mustang fast ford just did an article about how WEAK the TEN spline input shafts on the cobras are, and how guys with BOLT ON/ PULLIED cobras break them.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

some people are such fan boys.

sub 11 second cars are ALWAYS going to nickle and dime you to death. its never just OH buy this and this and for 5k you have the most throw down bad *** car ever. its NEVER easy, for ANY of us. something will ALWAYS break, always need a little more tweaking, not perform like it should, over heat, it goes on and on. its called hot rodding. its never simple. thats the fun of it.

like someone said earlier, if it were that easy, everyone would do it.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are going to pay more for it I suggest no. Usually people kill those ******* cars also stay with ur Z i think u can take a stock cobra easy. Its better to start from scratch than have a built car plus you may not know all the problems it might have. It its a straight trade which i doubt run the cobra to its limits see if it feels faster. My best advice is be careful dont cars are usually beat to deeath
Old 12-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sort of in the same situation right now.

Even if you're not into Mustangs, it's hard not to like the blown 03-04 Cobra's. They make gobs of power with very little modifications. You're only a pulley, tune and full exhaust change away from making almost 500 rwhp. And not to mention it's one of the nastiest sounding cars out there. What sucks about them though is finding one that's clean, has low miles, hasn't been beat to ****...and for the right price. If you could find the right one, it'll take some time, I would trade it for my T/A for it if I were you.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Listen, LSX ARE NASTY(GOOD)! They are amazing motors. But the 4v are really NASTY too! If he was saying Fbody Vs. GT, then no one would argue about that, unless they are dumb . The cobra is a really sick and easy car to mod like LSX. IMHO COBRA > LS1. End of story. Everyone has their own opinion, get over mine. LS1= intake exhaust cam = low 11 second car. Cobra = Pully, decent driver, tires = low 11 second car... Both have pros and cons
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Listen, LSX ARE NASTY(GOOD)! They are amazing motors. But the 4v are really NASTY too! If he was saying Fbody Vs. GT, then no one would argue about that, unless they are dumb . The cobra is a really sick and easy car to mod like LSX. IMHO COBRA > LS1. End of story. Everyone has their own opinion, get over mine. LS1= intake exhaust cam = low 11 second car. Cobra = Pully, decent driver, tires = low 11 second car... Both have pros and cons
Rodney's 01 TA has been raced to a best of 10.433 @ 130.19 mph with a 1.401 sixty foot time. All of this was accomplished on the stock rods, pistons, crankshaft, and cylinder heads,trex cam and bolt on's. He is the current "camshaft only" ET record holder for LS1 vehicles in the country. Not bad for a NA gm

http://www.thunderracing.com/custome...cid=36&x=8&y=8
Old 12-24-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Rodney's 01 TA has been raced to a best of 10.433 @ 130.19 mph with a 1.401 sixty foot time. All of this was accomplished on the stock rods, pistons, crankshaft, and cylinder heads,trex cam and bolt on's. He is the current "camshaft only" ET record holder for LS1 vehicles in the country. Not bad for a NA gm

http://www.thunderracing.com/custome...cid=36&x=8&y=8
and im sure if you do some research you'll find that the car is a lot lighter than stock too.... not to take away from his time, cause that is an impressive time.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 406malibu
and im sure if you do some research you'll find that the car is a lot lighter than stock too.... not to take away from his time, cause that is an impressive time.
alot of weight reduction is free
Old 12-25-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha yea, I was just stating that if you use the same engine combo as him your time will be significantly slower unless you do the weight reduction, which isnt practical for most people, since its their daily.

Quick Reply: Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator