General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your opinions?
Royal Purple
45.38%
Mobil 1
54.62%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Royal Purple or Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
The reason you heard lifter noises after changing your oil is because that 0w is SOOOOO light weight that if you had any slight motor or lifter noise before a lighter weight oil doesn't weigh the "ticking" lifter down enough so it ticks louder. You put a heavier weight in there and since it is thicker it coats the lifters more reducing the noise from the valvetrain. If you wanted to continue to run the 0w-30 GC I'd try adding a Lucas oil additive such as the regular ol' Lucas Oil Stabilizer (I've used and stood behind this stuff for noisy, oil burning engines for over 6 years) but I use their new stuff called pure synthetic oil stabilizer it works really well with all pure high performance synthetics that are going to be run hard. If you were to use the 0w-30 and add a quart of the pure synthetic in there also I don't think you'd ever hear a lifter noise again and your motor would benefit then from the lighter weight oil by being able to rap up a little quicker from not having to use a heavier oil just to cover the noise up. Give these items a thought they work. BTW the lucas additives can be used in noisy diffs, trannys, and even if they aren't noisy it really helps by making the rolling resistance less.

LMFAO
Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
LMFAO
I'd have to agree. Thats such bullshit its not even funny...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive used both. my GTO came with m1 so ive stuck with it. my SS came with castrol but ive used RP and M1. i didnt notice any noises at startup from either. i change my oil in both cars every 6 months but that comes out to less than 5k.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Kix
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 66351coupe
Brad penn
indeed!
Old 07-06-2009, 06:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SOMbitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06 View Post
The reason you heard lifter noises after changing your oil is because that 0w is SOOOOO light weight that if you had any slight motor or lifter noise before a lighter weight oil doesn't weigh the "ticking" lifter down enough so it ticks louder. You put a heavier weight in there and since it is thicker it coats the lifters more reducing the noise from the valvetrain. If you wanted to continue to run the 0w-30 GC I'd try adding a Lucas oil additive such as the regular ol' Lucas Oil Stabilizer (I've used and stood behind this stuff for noisy, oil burning engines for over 6 years) but I use their new stuff called pure synthetic oil stabilizer it works really well with all pure high performance synthetics that are going to be run hard. If you were to use the 0w-30 and add a quart of the pure synthetic in there also I don't think you'd ever hear a lifter noise again and your motor would benefit then from the lighter weight oil by being able to rap up a little quicker from not having to use a heavier oil just to cover the noise up. Give these items a thought they work. BTW the lucas additives can be used in noisy diffs, trannys, and even if they aren't noisy it really helps by making the rolling resistance less.

LMFAO
This is funny why?

I'd have to agree. Thats such bullshit its not even funny..
And again why so funny? I have had S-10's all my life. They have an inherent ticking lifter noise. I've always used a heavier weight oil to "quiet" them down. The heavier weight being more viscous keeps a heavier film on the lifter so when metal makes contact it isn't so much metal to metal there is a thicker substance between them (in this case a heavier weight oil) to quiet the lifter down. If you used a lighter less viscous oil you would hear it more because the metal contacting each other isn't as enveloped by the thinner oil. I have used the lucas oil stabilizer with good results also to "quiet" a noisy valvetrain down. Once again a more viscous liquid will help to quiet the metal to metal contact.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 AM
10 Second Club

One more question also if the lighter weight oil doesn't allow your motor to rev more freely then why do you guys use it...? Just so you can say I use GC 0w-30....I'm beginning to form my results already....
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmm, a 0-30 weight oil is simply lighter when cold then a heaver oil. Even a 20-50 weight oil is lighter in viscosity when hot than a 0-30 cold.

Lucas additives have shown in tests to make oils foam a lot, which is very bad.

Decent oils have their additives properly engineered and balanced. Adding additional additives will change that balance and the oil won’t be able to function as designed.

Use a quality oil straight, without additives.

Virtually all the oils discussed here are great, top tier lubricants. I’d use any of them. I use Castrol German because testing has shown they have a good advantage over other oils throughout the life of the oil. If I couldn’t buy it, I’d reach for a Lucas full synthetic or Amsoil.

Remember guys, the filter is equally important as the oil you use.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

"lighter weight oil doesn't allow your motor to rev more freely"

I’m not getting what this means. A lighter weight oil will allow you to spin more freely. HOWEVER, at operating temperatures, most oils have pretty much the same viscosity, regardless of the cold rating.

The cold oil rating helps allow the engine to have less wear until the engine/oil reaches operating temperature. Once everything is hot, the oil flows quicker than water.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

:
This is funny why?

And again why so funny? I have had S-10's all my life. They have an inherent ticking lifter noise. I've always used a heavier weight oil to "quiet" them down. The heavier weight being more viscous keeps a heavier film on the lifter so when metal makes contact it isn't so much metal to metal there is a thicker substance between them (in this case a heavier weight oil) to quiet the lifter down. If you used a lighter less viscous oil you would hear it more because the metal contacting each other isn't as enveloped by the thinner oil. I have used the lucas oil stabilizer with good results also to "quiet" a noisy valvetrain down. Once again a more viscous liquid will help to quiet the metal to metal contact.
Sorry if I offended you and came across as an ***. I am just pissed about some other stuff right now

Thicker oil can SOMETIMES make a noisy valvetrain a little quieter but it has NOTHING to do with "weigh the ticking lifter down" or "coats the lifter more". It is because it can apply more pumping force to a worn out lifter. It is pretty obvious you don't know what a lifter does.

2nd, I whole heartedly agree with PB on the oil additive issue. NEVER run an additive in todays oil. Lots of R & D $$$ has gone into developing oils to run in modern engines and if you have to add something to it you are running the wrong oil to start with. And Lucas IS a bunch of foaming crap!!! You could have made a worse recommendation though and suggested V-Max who has a lawsuit against them right now

PB posted all good info. Read it and learn. Or better yet google bobistheoilguy. TONS of good info there.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
"lighter weight oil doesn't allow your motor to rev more freely"

I’m not getting what this means. A lighter weight oil will allow you to spin more freely. HOWEVER, at operating temperatures, most oils have pretty much the same viscosity, regardless of the cold rating.

The cold oil rating helps allow the engine to have less wear until the engine/oil reaches operating temperature. Once everything is hot, the oil flows quicker than water.
If you look a little higher in my posts I said a lighter weight will allow a motor to spin more freely. When sombitch lol'd at that I was saying then if a lighter weight doesntallow it to spin more freely then why does everyone use it. It was meant to be sarcastic as I agree using a lighter weight will allow it to spin more freely.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you look a little higher in my posts I said a lighter weight will allow a motor to spin more freely. When sombitch lol'd at that I was saying then if a lighter weight doesntallow it to spin more freely then why does everyone use it. It was meant to be sarcastic as I agree using a lighter weight will allow it to spin more freely.
You still clearly don't understand the whole damn thing. A 0W-30 is NO DIFFERENT than the same oil in 10W-30 when up to opperating temps. the first rating is nothing but the cold viscosity and even then, a 0W is to thick to provide proper lubrication on startup to prevent shearing. The whole a lighter oil will help it rev up faster is true, obviously, but if you understand what I just said, it doesn't ******* matter. A 0 or 5W won't help AT ALL once its warm, which is the only time it matters. Unless you rev your engine when its cold.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I laugh when people gawk at me when I say I run a 0W. They simply just dont understand what the ratings mean.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

would there be any issues running mobil 1 0w-30 instead of the 40???
Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firechicken99
would there be any issues running mobil 1 0w-30 instead of the 40???
IIRC Mobil 1 doesnt offer that weight.

Plus, there are many better oils for the same price as the Mobil 1.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

which one?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just read back a few pages in this thread.

PP, German Castrol, Red Line and so on.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

oh i already saw those i meant the oil weight lol. my bad
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I use RP or Amsoil....nothing else unless I have no other choice.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by squee
You still clearly don't understand the whole damn thing. A 0W-30 is NO DIFFERENT than the same oil in 10W-30 when up to opperating temps. the first rating is nothing but the cold viscosity and even then, a 0W is to thick to provide proper lubrication on startup to prevent shearing. The whole a lighter oil will help it rev up faster is true, obviously, but if you understand what I just said, it doesn't ******* matter. A 0 or 5W won't help AT ALL once its warm, which is the only time it matters. Unless you rev your engine when its cold.
Makes sense, but I've only heard of people saying that they hear valvetrain noises when their motors are cold and once they warm up most of the time they go away. So suggesting a more viscous oil would be beneficial as you say because it is still cold and is thicker so it would help in that case if the noise was only prevalent while cold. If the noise still happened all the time your right it wouldn't matter what weight the oil is because once warm its all the same. I know my S-10 has a ticking noise when cold so I stepped up the weight of my oil it helped, I'm just sharing my two cents worth of expeirience.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If moving to a heavier weight oil worked for you, great. Sometimes what works for one engine won’t work for others. In many LS engines, they have some piston slap when cold. As they warm up, the metals expand and the noise goes away.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Mobil 1?