General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Figured its time to get the car out but....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Figured its time to get the car out but....

It has been really nice out lately, & Friday was a beautiful day here in mid Michigan, car has been in storage since December. I was in on the group buy for the Tick master cyl. & just got that so a little anxious to get the car out of storage. I made a call to the storage facility where my car is & asked them if it was possible to get it out on Friday. They said the vehicles arent scheduled to move until May 1 & there are 2 cars parked behind mine so I may have to wait until then to be able to get to it. She said "you need to read your contract". I couldnt find my copy of the contract, but heres the deal. When I dropped my car off to be stored, one of the guys there at the front office told me if I needed to get it out earlier than that just let them know & they would make it possible so I could get it out earlier, & I would have to pay a $10 fee for early release. I told him I would look forward to getting it out in April. This was discussed all before I signed any contract. Now what the woman working there is telling me is they need to know before I store it with them that so they can put it in another building so its not blocked in, lol. So it seems it should have went in another one of their buildings instead. They dont have any keys for the vehicles so thats why they cant move them. All I know is they got my car trapped in their building & I am not too happy about it. They said they would see what they could do & I am gonna be as patient as I can about it hopefully I can get it out this week. Has anybody else had this problem getting their car out of storage?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang man I would be very anxious and pissed. You should have got something in writing.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like some fine print that snuck it's way into the contract. When I lived in my apartment, I stored my TA in my Mom's garage every year and then bought my house so obviously it's in my garage now. I would just wait if I were you. I got my Tick MC as well, but I'm in no rush to get moving on it. Another cold air blast it coming in this week so temps are going to be mid-30s at best. After this season find someone else to store your car where you can have 24/7/365 access.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is it supposed to be done snowing for good? Im by Cleveland, OH and want to make sure before I pull mine out..
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

So you have to wait for other people to get their cars first?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aerojt
Is it supposed to be done snowing for good? Im by Cleveland, OH and want to make sure before I pull mine out..
It is Ohio, I wouldn't trust it to not snow again until the end of the month at least. Never know sometimes in this state. It is one of the few states where you can have all 4 seasons of weather in a 24 hour period
Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
It is Ohio, I wouldn't trust it to not snow again until the end of the month at least. Never know sometimes in this state. It is one of the few states where you can have all 4 seasons of weather in a 24 hour period
I hear you there, Wisconsin is the same way. This morning we had thunderstorms now its freezing rain and later this afternoon its supposed to switch to snow and we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of that ****. I was gonna get my car out this weekend cuz we were having good weather but now i think i`m just gonna wait til the end of the month. Sorry about the I just wanted to rant a little about our shitty weather cuz i`m sick of it.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
Sounds like some fine print that snuck it's way into the contract. When I lived in my apartment, I stored my TA in my Mom's garage every year and then bought my house so obviously it's in my garage now. I would just wait if I were you. I got my Tick MC as well, but I'm in no rush to get moving on it. Another cold air blast it coming in this week so temps are going to be mid-30s at best. After this season find someone else to store your car where you can have 24/7/365 access.
This place I got my car stored is really a good deal, $24 a month & its indoors. I checked with one of those local self storage places & they wanted $65 a month for a 10 X 20 which is much more convenient but for 1/3 the price I felt this was a better option. I understand that there are a few cars parked behind mine & they dont have the keys to move them. The problem I have is I know what I told them before I dropped it off, what they told me about being able to get it out early if needed. All this was discussed before I signed anything. Now theyre telling me read my contract because we need to know this beforehand so it can be stored in another building, & I may not be able to get my car until May. We may get another cold spell come through but i hear its supposed to stay nice. I definitely wanna take it to the track by April before it gets too hot. I need to build a bigger garage but this economy sucks so not spending any crazy amount of money like that right now. Yea, I am also tired of this terrible weather already
Old 03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That really blows. Know matter how you look at it. I would raise the roof in that place till I got my car out. OR what you might be able to do is, go there and get the plate numbers of the car that are blocking you in and get the owners numbers from the DMV and tell them your situation and maybe they will come move there cars out of the way for you.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain about not being able to drive your car. Mines been in storage since November and we still have snow on the ground here in Upstate NY. However mine is my grandparents garage so I don't the issue you do. What is this place you use, just a large building with multiple cars in it? What if these people decide not to get their cars out this year, how would you get to your car then?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waldershrek
I feel your pain about not being able to drive your car. Mines been in storage since November and we still have snow on the ground here in Upstate NY. However mine is my grandparents garage so I don't the issue you do. What is this place you use, just a large building with multiple cars in it? What if these people decide not to get their cars out this year, how would you get to your car then?
Its stored at the fairgrounds the next county over. They have multiple huge pole barns so they can fit quite a few vehicles in them. They have to be out or I am sure they would get towed & impounded.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just get a copy of the contract? See what it says, check out the law behind it. If it's in the contract that you can't get your car out when you want it, the contract needs to be changed. Slide by a lawyer's office and have it looked at.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

I would try to get ahold of the owners of the other cars and see if they'll come down and move their cars
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

I would be pissed...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

I got a call from the storage place this morning. They told me they got a little creative & moved a few things so I could get my car out. So I went & got it today. It was the first time storing the car there so I didnt know what to expect. IIRC, there was a boat parked in front of the door that wouldve been real easy to move with a truck. Gotta believe thats what they did. Luckily my car wasnt somewhere in the middle of the pole barn. These pole barns are huge! Had it there since Nov 18, they only charged me $88. Glad to get it out & that I didnt have much of a wait.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great that it worked out.
I have a chance to get mine this weekend. I'm gonna take a pass and let the world warm up a little more. I really don't care about temps and the weather as long as I don't drive it on salted roads.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went and got mine out of my uncles pole barn the other day. Unfortunately it was raining, but it was the only time i had to get it. I have a garage now so i just washed it, and now it's stored securely in my garage, and i can get it out whenever i want. But i have a bunch of work i need to get going on it ASAP, so hopefully this weekend i will get a start on it.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove mine on friday, (im in Michigan too)

No insurance other than storage and expired plates....

Not the smartest idea but it was fun!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

A few years ago I had to do the same thing, but now I have a huge garage 38 x 32 so I don't have to deal with storage facilities anymore.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
Great that it worked out.
I have a chance to get mine this weekend. I'm gonna take a pass and let the world warm up a little more. I really don't care about temps and the weather as long as I don't drive it on salted roads.
I am not driving mine quite yet. Just figured most of the nasty weather is out of the way. Supposed to snow this week but the car will be at the dealer where I work until I get my Tick master cyl installed & whatever else. I wouldve drove it last friday though. This way, it will be ready for the track in April.