General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Custom Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Gas Tank

Anybody ever built a custom gas tank for the 98-02 birds/maros? My 98 tank is small as hell and i think on complete E ive only put right over 12 gallons in it.

Its so annoying. I know the 99-02s have a larger tank but im wondering if you could fab up a MUCH larger tank. I love cruising around and the small tank annoys me to no end. I would like to retain the stock emissions equipment and fill neck and all that crap.

I know its possible somehow but I dont know if its worth my time or money.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Anybody ever built a custom gas tank for the 98-02 birds/maros? My 98 tank is small as hell and i think on complete E ive only put right over 12 gallons in it.

Its so annoying. I know the 99-02s have a larger tank but im wondering if you could fab up a MUCH larger tank. I love cruising around and the small tank annoys me to no end. I would like to retain the stock emissions equipment and fill neck and all that crap.

I know its possible somehow but I dont know if its worth my time or money.
nope. plus with more fuel, thats added weight.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 98 tank is 15.5 gallons. Your gauge reads low. You still have nearly a quarter tank left.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 406malibu
nope. plus with more fuel, thats added weight.
Not worried that much about weight. Being made of aluminum it wont weight nearly as much as my stock steel and you can always run the fuel out.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bamalt1
The 98 tank is 15.5 gallons. Your gauge reads low. You still have nearly a quarter tank left.
Not worth the risk to run it that low either. Might have to take the sending unit out and bend the arm
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe you could add a small fuel cell, maybe 5 gallons or so and put it in the back area of the car.

The stock gas tank holds 15-16 gallons, just how much bigger do you want?
I get 300-350 out of a tank of gas before I fill it back up.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive made plenty of gastanks, but none with all the emissions BS on them. Ive also never made one for a f-body. It takes a lot of time and if you cant make it yourself it will cost you $$$. Ive always done mine with the least amount of welding as possible, because were there is a weld there is a possible leak. I always pressure test mine to around 10 psi after completion and check for leaks.

Ive never really looked to see how much more volume you can push out of the area available, but I dont see getting much more than an extra gallon or two in the stock location.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I think there is variance between just about ALL sending units. Every one I have ever installed has changed the way the fuel tank reads.

My truck has a 31 gallon fuel tank.. lol, and I miss getting amazing amounts of miles before filling up again. Took it to St. Louis and only had to fill up once the entire way. With 5 people in the vehicle.

I guess I just need to break down and buy a sending unit and fuel pump and start working. Wouldnt mind putting a small fuel cell in the back somewhere for random reasons.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Question

Originally Posted by bamalt1
I have gotten almost past "E" to only fill up with no more than 13.5 gallons; I have done this twice. Could there be an issue with my sending unit?

*Side Note* - There was a thread I read here that stated something to the effect that PAST "F" you were FULL - 1/4 Tank you were @ 1/2 - and at 3/4 you were really on EMPTY. It was said that this is due to the design of the baffle/sump and placement of the pump/sending unit IIRC, but if I am getting WELL OVER or INTO "E", then this info is false; unless like I said, I may be having issues with the sending unit.

DM
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^ you must have misunderstood. that is the way factory gas needles read. Thats why you ride on full for 1/4 of your tank miles. you dont honestly think that after 75 miles the tank is still "full"?? BC its not.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^ you must have misunderstood. that is the way factory gas needles read. Thats why you ride on full for 1/4 of your tank miles. you dont honestly think that after 75 miles the tank is still "full"?? BC its not.

My needle is progressive; meaning that it slowly lowers to the next 1/4 point as the fuel is being used. You make it sound as if the needle stays on "F" untill 4gals of fuel is used then is quickly jumps to a 1/4 with no progression in between. If I am at 1/4 tank, then I should have 3/4 of a tank left, not 1/2 -

"F" (16gal) to 1/4 (= 4gal) - I used a 1/4 tank of gas and therefor should have 3/4 left not 1/2 a tank as I read in that thread.

1/4 (12gal) to 1/2 (= 4gal) - I have used another 1/4 of a tank and therefor should have 1/2 a tank left or 8gal left.

1/2 (8gal) to 3/4 (=4gal) - At this point (3/4) I should have 4gal remaining, but the thread stated that I should be empty, which clearly I would not be.

3/4 (4gal) to "E" (=4gal) - So from what the thread said, at this point I should be dry for a 1/4 of the tank.

*NOTE* - I used 16gal to simplify the breakdown.

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 06-01-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:22 AM
12 Second Club

Havent got a change to read up on this one but I let it run into E this weekend, heck the fuel pump is old, I had some gas on me in the hatch and It still only filled up to around 11.5 gallons.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

ok let me clarify this so you can understand. On my daily driver (and every other car in the garage) it runs on full without the needle moving until it reaches about 75 miles. So obviously its not still full after 75 miles but the gauge says it is. Now that we have established that the gauge it completely incorrect at that point, there are two choices. 1. it can speed up in its downward fall in order to catch up with the accuracy point, at that point in time is somewhere lower then the gauge is actually reading or 2. it can start its downward track at an equal pace, keeping an even distance from the accuracy point, and starting at the point the needle started to react to the changing gas level. So which do you think it does? Me personally Im not quite sure but i think its option 1. Either way from the minute you drive away from the gas tank the gauge is no longer accurate bc you are consuming gas and it is not indicating that. I realize that you tried to sway everyone with your elementary fractions in hopes of gaining approval with simple rationalized thoughts. But, sir, its just not that simple. Well, actually it is.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol how much crusing are you going to be doing? 300+ miles gets you pretty far lol.. or you just being lazy and dont like filling up as much?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory gauges are inaccurate and inconsistant from car to car. There are too many loose tolerances to make a rule that is good for all 4th gen f-bodies. I had a '97 formula that ran out of gas after 15-20 miles with the fuel light on. That light meant business. My '02 has never even stumbled, even when I pushed it 30 miles past the light driving cross country. The gas tanks are the same size.

There are only 2 ways to tell how far you can go on E.
#1 is to run your car out of gas, note the distance that you drove with the light on and don't go that far again.

#2 You could also extrapolate. If your car gets 20 mpg city and you know that when the fuel light comes on you typically put 13 gallons in the tank, you have ~2.5 gal in reserve or 50 miles.

I don't believe in running the tank empty all the time (it's bad for the fuel pump), but Joshiedoom, it sounds like you could safely drive for 2 more gallons after the fuel light comes on.

Last edited by 91RS383; 06-02-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
ok let me clarify this so you can understand. On my daily driver (and every other car in the garage) it runs on full without the needle moving until it reaches about 75 miles. So obviously its not still full after 75 miles but the gauge says it is. Now that we have established that the gauge it completely incorrect at that point, there are two choices. 1. it can speed up in its downward fall in order to catch up with the accuracy point, at that point in time is somewhere lower then the gauge is actually reading or 2. it can start its downward track at an equal pace, keeping an even distance from the accuracy point, and starting at the point the needle started to react to the changing gas level. So which do you think it does? Me personally Im not quite sure but i think its option 1. Either way from the minute you drive away from the gas tank the gauge is no longer accurate bc you are consuming gas and it is not indicating that. I realize that you tried to sway everyone with your elementary fractions in hopes of gaining approval with simple rationalized thoughts. But, sir, its just not that simple. Well, actually it is.
OK.... This is much more concise than your last post; now I see what you are trying to convey; but in the end you are saying the same as I did or vice-versa, lol.

DM
Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made a thread a long time ago, about getting a new tank. There was a company out there that makes like a 19 to 22 gallon tank. It is about the same length but deeper up adn down wise.

I wish I could remember there name. It was like 600-800 bucks with all the bung and filler neck to bolt in your F-body. Non sponsor tho.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks like you should talk to rssean...and as for a bigger fuel tank...are you thinking on running from florida to california in 1 tank or something? cuz 13 gallons is quite a long ways....
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the input guys, RsSean, I would love to find that link.

The whole purpose of the tank is because the nearest place for 24/7 top tier fuel is 40 miles away, and I love going on cruises, and in the future when I have the cash to go on a powertour or bandit run I wont have to worry about filling up every 200ish miles.

Another thing is I was on 1/4 one night comming home and there is a spot with NO gas stations for about 32 miles. Was a bad pileup and road was shut down and I had to backtrack about 60 miles to get home through rural backwoods hell.

98s do no have a fuel light so its guess and check. Good to know there is always gas for emergencies
Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Thanks for all the input guys, RsSean, I would love to find that link.

The whole purpose of the tank is because the nearest place for 24/7 top tier fuel is 40 miles away, and I love going on cruises, and in the future when I have the cash to go on a powertour or bandit run I wont have to worry about filling up every 200ish miles.

Another thing is I was on 1/4 one night comming home and there is a spot with NO gas stations for about 32 miles. Was a bad pileup and road was shut down and I had to backtrack about 60 miles to get home through rural backwoods hell.

98s do no have a fuel light so its guess and check. Good to know there is always gas for emergencies

lol, here ya go man! This was a banner ad at the bottom of this thread. I guess these banners work sometimes, lol.

http://store.interstateproducts.com/...FQghnAodS12dBg

DM