General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I do?

So I wrecked my SS about a month ago and haven't really decided what to do with the vehicle yet. I have a gret drivetrain and suspension package on it. What do you all think about this based on the LS1?

Could be a neat project.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good - now you have me thinking bout that project
Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to do one of those....
Old 08-11-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do it!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

I've seen these kits both 'finished' and in progress in person and talked to some of the owners along the way. The kits are VERY incomplete and require a literal ton of fabwork and finishing work and most need a decent amount of modification to come close to looking decent. A proper build is going to cost appx 60k-100k, and 'just' having an ls1 sitting around is going to get you like 2% of the way there, as that's literally like all you can use off of your car sans maybe the brakes and wheels.

It'd be cool, but I'd be doing ALOT of homework before I dropped 20k for a severely unfinished kit. Try to see a GTM in person that was assembled by Factory Five, it still looks kit carish.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxrus14
So I wrecked my SS about a month ago and haven't really decided what to do with the vehicle yet. I have a gret drivetrain and suspension package on it. What do you all think about this based on the LS1?

Could be a neat project.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html
Those guys will probably be at Charlotte Auto Fair next month and have some cars on display. Neat looking cars and should scream for sure!!!

Good Luck!!
Russell
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

If you think you can put it together,go for it.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I've been thinking about the factory fives for a while, but the cobra kits are the ones that crank my tractor (with a very healthy gen 3 or 4 GM powerplant).
For that kind of money though I wonder if you would get into the same $$ territory as building an Ultima GTR
Ultima vs. C6 fast forward to 1:58
Old 08-11-2009, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

I thought that car needed a donor vette for the drivetrain. I like it anyway
Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan to do the same! A friend of my father's has a red Cobra with the LS1, long tubes and intake, as well as a conservative cam and valvetrain package and that car is unsafely fast. Absolutely overpowered. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I've seen these kits both 'finished' and in progress in person and talked to some of the owners along the way. The kits are VERY incomplete and require a literal ton of fabwork and finishing work and most need a decent amount of modification to come close to looking decent. A proper build is going to cost appx 60k-100k, and 'just' having an ls1 sitting around is going to get you like 2% of the way there, as that's literally like all you can use off of your car sans maybe the brakes and wheels.

It'd be cool, but I'd be doing ALOT of homework before I dropped 20k for a severely unfinished kit. Try to see a GTM in person that was assembled by Factory Five, it still looks kit carish.
I couldn't agree less, the kits are extremely complete and fabrication is usually only required when you decide to use a part that differs slightly from the original 5.0/Corvette LS1 design. The folks i have talked to said its a straight forward build. Not to start anything, much respect.

Additionally they include online, up front, a list of EVERY part that would be required should you not have an actual donor car @ your disposal, the GM part #, and the price. I feel like if the buyer researches and plans, there will be few to no surprises.