General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GMMG vs. SLP LM2 vs.?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG vs. SLP LM2 vs.?

Hey guys, I have an 00 SS that came with a SLP LM2 when I bought it. The exhaust sounds great when you get on it but god damn does the drone make you deaf when cruising on the highway especially at 1800-2200rpm in 5th or 6th gear. While the LM2 isn't as ignorant as the LM1, I'd like to change it out for something that still sounds good and isn't all raspy with a high pitch crackle (like a LS powered truck) sounding like most LS1 catbacks I hear.

UPDATE

Guys, thanks for the feedback below. Let me clarify as well as add a litte more info to my goals for an exhaust system.

Car info:
- My car is basically stock except for a lid and Loud Mouth 2
- My car has cats and will remain catted

My driving info
- I drive the car maybe once or twice a week with a fair amount of highway driving. When I have to go into the office its a 45 minute drive at 60-80mph.

My concerns with my current LS1 catback
- Currently my LM2 when cruising at highway speeds around 1800-2300RPM is unbareable with the decibel level or "drone" that it is hitting. I'm not saying the car is too loud, I'm saying the exhaust "tone" that is given off and sustained at that RPM is uncomfortable to my ears, and in my opinion highly annoying. Hell sometimes when I finally get to my destination I feel like I've been at a rock concert . So I'm not saying I want a quiet car during WOT or 3000+ RPM, I just need something that doesn't have the above described "drone."

My questions to you all:
1. Does the GMMG on a stock car like mine (cats, stock manifolds, no cam) have the above problem I described that the LM2 has?
2. Does anyone have a B&B Tri-flo? How does that compare?

PS, LS1 sounds is a great site but does not give in car at cruising speed feedback.

Last edited by 69camaross; 09-18-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ARH L/T's w/catted y and Borla w/o baffle and sounds great at WOT and no drone at crusing speed.
I see your in STL, ever go to Hooters in St Peters?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Are you running cats or not? Personally I think all LS1s sound better with cats. I have longtube headers, catted y-pipe and GMMG exhaust and there is no drone what-so-ever. Since you don't want something raspy or crackley just get the GMMG and be done. Best sounding cat back no question.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Default !

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
Are you running cats or not? Personally I think all LS1s sound better with cats. I have longtube headers, catted y-pipe and GMMG exhaust and there is no drone what-so-ever. Since you don't want something raspy or crackley just get the GMMG and be done. Best sounding cat back no question.
Yes, I do have cats and plan to leave them on. So no drone? Nice! How's the noise level, can you hold a coversation with a passenger at normal volume while driving normally? LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard the LM2 and was always curious as to how it sounds. Any way you can post some videos for us, or sound files? Also what you can do and save yourself a lot of cash is to simply do a muffler swap. Remove the LM2 resonator and replace it with a magnaflow bullet style muffler (magnamouth) I heard a lot of people are liking this setup.

For what its worth, I know two people with GMMG and I wasnt that impressed. It just makes a lot of noise. IMO the BEST exhaust I ever heard was the corsa cat back with some LT headers. Pure ear sex!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69camaross
Yes, I do have cats and plan to leave them on. So no drone? Nice! How's the noise level, can you hold a coversation with a passenger at normal volume while driving normally? LOL
My wife has been with me on 4 Hot Rod Power Tour long hauls in this car which means about 5-6 hours a day in the car for 7 or 8 days straight and her only complaint is my 3.73 gears whining a little. You can talk at a normal level in the car and hear each other just fine, unless the loud pedal is to the floor

Of course there are a lot of different opinions, but I definitely think the GMMG sounds better than any other and I've heard most of them.

But first you may want to try adding baffles to your exhaust between the muffler and the tailpipes.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LM2 doesn't sound all that great at WOT.

But then again I like REALLY loud stuff. The best exhast I've heard w/o a cam was PS-LT'S and Off Road Y-Pipe and LM1.

The rasp sounded damn good to me.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

You can get the SLP powerflo kit since you already have the LM2 setup it gets rid of the drone.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a gmmg with lts and ory on the highway its not bad at all the only time it drones is at low speeds. at wot it sounds great very loud witch i like but i will be geting rid of it soon for a magnaflow because i will be geting a cam.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I have a gmmg with lts and ory on the highway its not bad at all the only time it drones is at low speeds. at wot it sounds great very loud witch i like but i will be geting rid of it soon for a magnaflow because i will be geting a cam.
Please explain the logic in this? What advantage does the magnaflow offer your cam?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Please explain the logic in this? What advantage does the magnaflow offer your cam?
Im gonna guess cause it'll have a mellower sound to it compared to the GMMG which sounds like a beast when cammed with L/T and a ORY
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Have you considered Bassani? Check out my vid man, at the time this vid was made I only had catback, and a few intake mods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDHXyjyfh0 Its a Bassani true dual exhaust with X pipe, pricey but I love it. Sounds better with a cam : )
Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I would stongly consider you checking out the SLP Powerflo. Since you have the lm2 all you would need is the conversion kit. I have clips on youtube under "detoxx03"
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
The magneflow is much more queit then the gmmg and since i daily drive my car i dont want it to loud all the time i will also be geting an electric cutout when i want to be loud!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Have you considered Bassani? Check out my vid man, at the time this vid was made I only had catback, and a few intake mods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDHXyjyfh0 Its a Bassani true dual exhaust with X pipe, pricey but I love it. Sounds better with a cam : )
Is your car an auto or manual. I'm only seeing the kit for the auto on the Bassani site. Probably doesn't matter though. Did you do the install. How did it fit? Any pics? I like the sound. Nice and deep. Not raspy.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know there are mixed decisions about the SLP LM2, but i beg to differ. I have the LM2 with no cat's and stepped style headers (1 3/4 - 1 7/8) and IMO it sounds great. I have heard GMMG with no cats and regular 1 3/4 headers and i personally like the sound of the LM2 better, and trust me if i heard a ls1 that sounds better than mine i will admit it, and i have in the past, True Dual dumped at the axle = **** , but anyway i have heard people swapping out the LM2 resonator for the Borla xr1, which would be called a Borlamouth, they sound pretty good. Check Youtube. But this is just my .02
Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have cats & I dont have drone, thats cammed too. At cruise, the GMMG is very quiet, but it sounds amazing when you open it up. I love it, & so does everyone else that has heard it. The GMMG is loud but it doesnt have to be all the time.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The problem I see with most people on here saying that something sounds raspy, yada yada, is that most are running long tubes. The merge on the y-pipe determines the rasp. Thats where the rasp comes from and thats why some have it any some don't when having the same catback. I wouldn't worry about rasp whatsoever when it comes to a catback cause the catback is only gonna expose it or hide it. Which headers and y-pipe you go with will determine whether or not there is rasp or not.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify as well as add a litte more info to my goals for an exhaust system.

Car info:

My driving info
- I drive the car maybe once or twice a week with a fair amount of highway driving. When I have to go into the office its a 45 minute drive at 60-80mph.

My concerns with an LS1 catback
- Currently my LM2 when cruising at highway speeds around 1800-2300RPM is unbareable with the decibel level or "drone" that it is hitting. I'm not saying the car is too loud, I'm saying the exhaust "tone" that is given off and sustained at that RPM is uncomfortable to my ears, and in my opinion highly annoying. Hell sometimes when I finally get to my destination I feel like I've been at a rock concert . So I'm not saying I want a quiet car during WOT or 3000+ RPM, I just need something that doesn't have the above described "drone."

My questions to you all:
1. Does the GMMG on a stock car like mine (cats, stock manifolds, no cam) have the above problem I described that the LM2 has?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify as well as add a litte more info to my goals for an exhaust system.

Car info:

My driving info

My concerns with an LS1 catback

My questions to you all:

I will say no to your question about the GMMG. I dont have cats & I can barely hear it at cruise. Thats at 80 mph, at 2000 rpms in 6th. So it would be even quieter if you have cats.

Quick Reply: GMMG vs. SLP LM2 vs.?