General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Has the LS1 lost its street credibility? No. The only people who don't respect it are those who know nothing about it, or are Ricers, and sometimes LT1'ers
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
VVT is the best thing that ever happened to the GM pushrod v8, just about... you rednecks and your carb-age will figure that out one day
VVT is one of the best things to ever come from GM v8 engine. and if it becomes capable of working along side of a proper tuned carb. it will only unleash even more potential from the engine.
your play on words about the carb and stereotypes
makes you sound dumb.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so we have established that our 12 year old LS1 can still down a 2010 Mustang. I feel the same as everyone else, but at the same time if I get taken out by another car I want to see what he has... With that said WTF is a "Terminator"??????
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gnasty1521
OK so we have established that our 12 year old LS1 can still down a 2010 Mustang. I feel the same as everyone else, but at the same time if I get taken out by another car I want to see what he has... With that said WTF is a "Terminator"??????
the mustang guys call the 03-04 cobras terminators for some reason.
suppose to intimidate, dont make sense to me, but whatever, to each ther own.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you sorry to jack. But seriously, I get more compliments on my car than anything I have ever owned (and it is not flashy). They always ask, "is that the LS1?", to which I reply "why, yes" and they reply with something like, "nice" or "man I wish I had one". So nope, no credibility lost here...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
VVT is one of the best things to ever come from GM v8 engine. and if it becomes capable of working along side of a proper tuned carb. it will only unleash even more potential from the engine.
your play on words about the carb and stereotypes
makes you sound dumb.
certain stereotypes exist for a reason..... I guess every major auto manufacturer canned carbs because they just bought into the stereotypes...

those bastards
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where I live, the LSx is very respected. I need to change my name. Racing cobras is like clubbing baby seals now.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in the country and people are behind the times. A guy once told me that my LS1 is nice but it wasn't anything compared to his LT1.............So I proceded to spank his *** by about 4 cars.

Older people always assume that since our cars are computer controlled they are inferior to their old alternator, carb combo. They are usaully the easiest ones to beat since they don't know any better.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

certain stereotypes exist for a reason..... I guess every major auto manufacturer canned carbs because they just bought into the stereotypes...

those bastards
Emmisions and MPG is the big reason manufacterers have gone to EFI.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

Ya where I live the LS1 is respected. People hear is has an LS1 in it and they start to worry. But those are the same people that think every motor in the LSX family is an LS1 which right there proves they dont know what they're talking about
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Older people always assume that since our cars are computer controlled they are inferior to their old alternator, carb combo. They are usaully the easiest ones to beat since they don't know any better.
Sounds like they have been living in a cave with Osama.

Yeah, when TBI and TPI first came out, the 180 horse motors probably didn't make a good initial impression. The carb motors of the muscle car era were more powerful. But we are talking about 25 years ago. Some people are stuck in 1985.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Emmisions and MPG is the big reason manufacterers have gone to EFI.
yep. I'm sure there are EFI power benefits somewhere in that equation as well. So to make 10 extra peak horsepower (if that, and you probably lose some at different areas of the RPM range)... you're willing to sacrifice a large amount of fuel economy and efficiency?

Running a carb, these days, is kinda like firing up MS-DOS 6.22 on your brand new Intel Core i7 box with 6 gigs of RAM and a solid state drive to play Doom 2. It'll run ungodly fast, but is about the most inefficient use of hardware since ... well, since people started retrofitting Carbs to pushrod VVT v8's.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep. I'm sure there are EFI power benefits somewhere in that equation as well. So to make 10 extra peak horsepower (if that, and you probably lose some at different areas of the RPM range)... you're willing to sacrifice a large amount of fuel economy and efficiency?

Running a carb, these days, is kinda like firing up MS-DOS 6.22 on your brand new Intel Core i7 box with 6 gigs of RAM and a solid state drive to play Doom 2. It'll run ungodly fast, but is about the most inefficient use of hardware since ... well, since people started retrofitting Carbs to pushrod VVT v8's.
the carb and ls combo are like peanut butter and chocolate. they just work. i know. for speed its simple, powerful, cheep.
efficiency debate is subjective.
a properly tuned,correctly sized carb will net excellent mpg under normal driving. i drive my carb hi compression car everywhere and get fair mpg for tradeoff of easy tunability. accelerated driving will consume more fuel obviously on any car.
at the track i dont blame my slow times on a tune or lack thereof.
just need a screwdriver, few minutes, a few small metal pieces. problem solved
Old 10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Teching In

I can't speak for the ls1, but some of the 4cyl carb conversions I've seen, they take a motor that was getting mid 30's, and drop it all the way into the low teens.

On a carb setup, you could potentially just activate the vvt with an rpm triggered switch. It's not optimum, but plenty of older vvt systems work that way.

GM guys are really spoiled when it comes to efi tuning. What can be done for a few hundred dollars on an ls1 can cost several thousand on Hondas, Toyotas, etc.... This latest e38 ly6 project I wired for my brother was pretty impressive for the money. I honestly can't think of a way you could go faster cheaper. The only Japanese thing I can think of that would get close would be a 2jzgte (93+ supra motor) into a 2800lb mid 80's supra.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, long thread....whew!

i dont think its lost street credibility. im nat going to beat a dead horse on this, its been said 100 times in this post. still plenty of them at the top on the street.

only thing i dont like, i had an LT1 ta in high school, always had good runs with ls1 cars. they couldnt drive....lol. but always wanted a ls1. now that i could finally aford one, they got (as said) ls2,3,7,9, way more crazy ****. but a good thing with the new ones coming out is, maybe parts prices will start dropping for our fbody's....we can hope (400 bucks for a cam is quite a bit...) but power/weight, thats what im digging. so i picked up some cnc 243's getting a cam, and ill just keep the bottle full. in my area 10 second street cars are few and far between, quick stuff on the street is maybe in the 12's....lol.

its a top performer at the track and the street, all i can say about it---still has pushrods, 2 valves, small and light, and didnt need a supercharger to beat some ***.....(cough) ford....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
the mustang guys call the 03-04 cobras terminators for some reason.
suppose to intimidate, dont make sense to me, but whatever, to each ther own.
Incorrect.
It was a project name or code name for the car while in development.
It's not because some fanboi one day thought his car was the ****.
Even though most do.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm ls1 cars need a sweet nick name like "Terminator" to revamp their image...

how about "impregnator" or "deathinizer" or "murderister"
Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
Hmm ls1 cars need a sweet nick name like "Terminator" to revamp their image...

how about "impregnator" or "deathinizer" or "murderister"
PussyMagnet
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Decimator
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Transforminator?

Quick Reply: Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?