General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?

It seems like at most of the local car hang outs or street/track spots in my area i here alot of people bagging on the old reliable ls1. I don't say much, i try to remain humble. Most are ignorant, because they don't see the WS6 hood and badging on my car they assume its a V6. I always here.."It's only got an ls1," or " he doesn't have the vette engine!" I know GM made huge strides with the ls6, ls2 and ls3, but damn am i in denial? Has the ls1 become the tuned port compared to an lt1? I get harrassed by every little import and stang that has gas in it.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

time for heads cam intake...then go to those meets...
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its getting old it came out in what 97-98 its over 10 years old but still kicks *** its just overlooked by the ls2 ls3 ls7 ls9 we have the baby of the ls i agree cam that bitch my car isint even that fast to me anymore and everybody looks at me like i have a race car lol
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if its that man, but around me theres just so many ls1 cars, there nothing special. Before i got a z28 i had a grand prix GTP that ran about high 12's, and after i went down the track, a had a bunch of people around my car asking how the hell i just beat that mustang with my fullsize family car?!? I know my Z can run faster than that, but no one cares at all, its just normal. that just how i see it though.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
It seems like at most of the local car hang outs or street/track spots in my area i here alot of people bagging on the old reliable ls1. I don't say much, i try to remain humble. Most are ignorant, because they don't see the WS6 hood and badging on my car they assume its a V6. I always here.."It's only got an ls1," or " he doesn't have the vette engine!" I know GM made huge strides with the ls6, ls2 and ls3, but damn am i in denial? Has the ls1 become the tuned port compared to an lt1? I get harrassed by every little import and stang that has gas in it.
man, you should be taking advantage of those fools.
i enjoy coming across those kinds of peeps, makes for easy $
i had one guy in mach1 giving me old "driver's race" with a ls1.
and that my car had no more than 325-330rw at best because it was a ss and overrated.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever since GM/Pontiac brought the "Ram Air" WS6 package back in 1996, if you didn't have "Ram Air" you junk was slow. People fall into the hype of what is fast. If you ask Joe or Jill Schmoe on the street or in public what the fastest Mustang is, they'll say a Mustang GT. People out there have no idea whats going on under the hood and only go by whatever misinformed person told them that and so on and so forth.

IMO, it really don't help how any brand of car totes a certain HP number. The LS1 was rated at 325 HP, while the new Camaro has 425 HP with a M6. The 2010 ran a 13.2 in the quarter and a LS1 with "100 less HP" ran that time or better. But Joe Blow that goes to car meets like yours turns it into 425 HP > 325 HP so therefore the 325 HP LS1 is nothing. But whatever, let them knock it. Take it to the track and show them what's up.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they'll talk, but they won't run you.
keep some nitrous handy just in case, but you won't use it much.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So i am at a little crossroads. do i leave my Vette stock and mod the hell outta my TA or leave the TA as is and just add a stall and long tubes. TA currently has 142,401 and Vette has 59,101. I have a set of longtubes waiting to go on the TA and can get a set of 243's for a decent price.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

An LS1 SS or WS6 hasn't lost any street cred as far as I've seen. Going on 11 years there's nothing out there (in mass quantity) that can even come close. Sure the GTO has an LS2, the new Camaro has an LS3, the C6 has the LS2, LS3, LS7, and LS9, but what to this day do you still see the most of on the street? LS1 4th gens. If you have a stock looking Z28 or a non-WS6 bird, yes nobody is going to give you the time of day. Now if you have at least some nice wheels and a nice sounding exhaust on the base LS1 car, you'll get more attention.

It's the LT1 which is the one that's fallen off the face of the earth. Talk about a huge fall, this engine used to be king. Now it might has well be a TPI 305 to most hot rodders.

Make your car not look so stock and you'll see a difference.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JeaneGrae
It seems like at most of the local car hang outs or street/track spots in my area i here alot of people bagging on the old reliable ls1.
Seems like your local hang outs are full of idiots.

Here not only are LS1's still very much respected, but we also have a few LT1's that people know not to **** with unless they are bringing some serious heat.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

I dont thinl it has lost any credibility, just cars are coming stock with more power now... but they are heavier, have lots more torque management, and transmissions that are bitches to tune (g8)..

I still get lots of joy going to the local import meets, and having the turbo honda crowd talk ****, just to have them put their foots in their mouths when I leave....
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

I think this is a good post to start with your flame suit on! Due to strict emission laws I think we've plateaued in the performance era. The LS1 is a bad *** engine. When modded, it just owns. Unless your running Supra with 800 HP or some crazy fast car. The LS1-6 will have a strong standing in the history of street/strip racing.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there are alot of stupid, ignorant, people in this world that don't quite get it. I had a kid at the gas station last week tell me I needed to change my belt because of the "squeaky" procharger thats under the hood. I told him I would look in to it The kid rides my *** all the way out of the gas station and on to the hi way and attempts to fly by me, so I let him go untill his rear bumper was even with my front and then laid in to it, there was about 4 bus lengths inbetween us when I let up and made my exit. No contest I could have beat this honda with my duramax.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Teching In

You guys with LS1s are talking about people talking smack, underestimating etc. about your engines. Imagine owning an LT1. The first question I get everytime is why don't/didn't you LSX swap it!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Hell , it works for me !:
Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, I couldn't believe the ignorance at one of my last track outings. I have a lid and cat back on my WS.6 and was running 13.3's. Other 98 and up f-bods were there pulling low 14's to high 13's with full bolt ons and a tune. I could here those owners and other drivers talking amongst each other about my times saying, "yeah dude, that guy's way faster cause he's got the WS.6" " Others were saying I was lying about my set up!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How it could have lost street cred when it is the most desired platform to transplant it into every thing imaginable??
Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I was reading down through these posts and I was just about to say how do you think us LT1 guys felt when the LS1's came out and with traction were out running our full bolt on LT1's. Any car, Any motor can be just as fast as money will allow, and that's the bottom line.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

The thing about LS2, LS3 is that they boast bigger bhp but - except for Vettes - they are installed in heavier cars. Stock to stock, they don't run any better than the trusty ol' LS1. As for Mustangs, only the big guns run better stock.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

I never really see a huge difference between Heads/Cam LS1s and LS2s, minus the curves, the LS2s are always a little better, but not that huge of a difference. The LS3s on the other hand make a **** ton of power easy. I'd love one. Ls1s are still way faster then any Mustang GTs out there. They have tons of credibility IMO.

Quick Reply: Has the ls1 losts it's street credibility?