General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

About to give up on the T/A

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to give up on the T/A

Has anyone else every thought about selling their car? Just quitting on this lsx thing. Just not worrying about cars anymore? I think I'm about to that point. It seems like my car is always broken. It seems like every part I buy from ppl on this site i get ripped off and buy something that is broken. It just seems like there is so much more i could invest my money in. Another thing is there is NOBODY here in central arkansas that knows anything about cars. Nobody can tune, build, or anything. There are no drag tracks thats over 1000ft. Its pretty lonely out here. Its like i cant find something to keep me attatched to my car anymore. Has anybody else ever had this feeling? I think I'm almost done with the whole car scene.

Just needing to vent over this. LOL
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

i wouldnt get rid of my car just cause the lack of car enthusiasts in the area. but if its causing you more grief than pleasure i guess id sell it.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
Has anyone else every thought about selling their car?
Most of us have, at one point or another. Frustration sets in, and sometimes it just seems easier to walk away. I've gone that route many times with many cars....of the 17 cars I've had, 13 of them I've sold.

Just quitting on this lsx thing.
Well, there going to be a challenge with any platform of cars or engines, it's not just the LS1s.

Just not worrying about cars anymore? I think I'm about to that point.
In the past, when I'd get frustrated with a car, I'd say stuff like that. Then after selling the car, I realized that there was no way in hell I'd be able to stay away from the whole car thing for more than a few weeks. I'd automatically be looking for another car without even thinking about it. And the excitement I'd feel every time I found a new car I liked was like a drug addiction. After a couple times of trying to take a break, it became clear to me that I'm in the hobby for life. There is no escape. I've just given in to temptation. LOL.

It seems like my car is always broken.
Sometimes a particular car just isn't worth it any more. I've also opted to move on from certain cars that just seemed to problematic. But on the other hand, sometimes a car just hits an age where it's going to need some stuff....all at once....but then once you get past that it runs great for a very long time. It's a chance you take, but remember all cars are machines, and every machine eventually wears out and needs repair. You can't escape that unless you buy a brand new car every few years. If you REALLY love a particular car though, it'll be worth keeping it fixed up (within reason of course, some cars are just lemons).

It seems like every part I buy from ppl on this site i get ripped off and buy something that is broken.
This is one reason why I don't buy very many used parts. Actually, I almost never buy used parts....unless I can see them in person and it's not a wear item. It's frustrating enough to chase down a problem with your car and fix it, then having to do the job several times because the parts you bought were bad is just not worth it to me. I try to buy new whenever I can, just to avoid this.

It just seems like there is so much more i could invest my money in.
Like what though? Honestly, when I mentioned above that in the past I too have had thoughts of leaving the hobby, one of the first things that made me realize this wasn't going to happen, was the fact that there's really nothing else I want to spend spare cash on. Every time I get a bit of extra money all I can think about it buying another car or parts for the cars I already have. Nothing else, other than basic necessities and some savings, seems more important or valuable to use my money on....not vacations, not other hobbies, nothing.

Another thing is there is NOBODY here in central arkansas that knows anything about cars. Nobody can tune, build, or anything.
Then your only option is to become that person yourself, or travel to get things done. If you really want it done, you'll find a way.

There are no drag tracks thats over 1000ft. Its pretty lonely out here.
Drag racing is great, but it's not the only fun thing you can have a car for. I haven't built a car for track use in over 5 years. I just enjoy setting them up as street cruisers now. Honestly, I don't even have to drive my cars to get pleasure from them. Sometimes I just sit in the garage looking at them... like my own personal car show. Yeah I know, I'm not normal. I'm ok with that.

Its like i cant find something to keep me attatched to my car anymore. Has anybody else ever had this feeling? I think I'm almost done with the whole car scene.
This is one feeling I've never really had. No matter how hard I've tried to detach myself the hobby, it never works. I always find something to be attached to. Now, I understand losing attachment to a particular car after you've had enough problems with it, or if your interest in that type of car has faded. In those cases I've just moved on to another car. But even when I've told myself that I want to take a break from the hobby, my body and mind won't let me. There is nothing I'd rather be doing, or thinking about, or spending money on. It's just part of me, and I can't turn it off even if I wanted to. Maybe part of it is the fact that every friend I have is also heavily involved in the hobby, maybe part of it is the fact I'm a crazy obsessed m'fer that just loves cars, who knows.

Just needing to vent over this. LOL
No problem, damn I didn't realize how much crap I wrote. Haha.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

How far is the nearest 1/4 mile track? How far is the nearest highly recomended tuner shop? I drove 800 miles to get my stuff done at LGM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Launching!

not in the state. IM located rite smack dab in the middle of this redneck infested state. The roads suck. Im always getting paint chips, im always getting chunks of dried mud flung onto my car. It sucks here.

Nearest 1/4 mile is memphis, about 2 1/2 hours away. Nearest Tuner That i know and have friends who have experience with is about 3 hrs away.

I'll still be a part of this site if i do decide to sell my car. But i doubt ill get another for a long time. Im still young. I could buy a house. pay for school, and i have other hobbies. Its just getting rediculous with my car. Im trying to get the rearend fixed. My clutch is going out so that'll be next. Then, the suspension i bought is f'ed up. It's a long list. I guess im kinda looking forward to getting all that fixed with some good ****. lol
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know what you mean.

I had various issues with my car. I finally saved up enough for a 408 build and now the 6 banger camaro needed a new fuel pump, starter, ICM 5 months ago.

Cam, crank sensors about an year n half ago.

I just feel that my car sits in shops more than driving on the road. Sometimes its for serious things that shouldn't be bad and other times for regular wear n tear like ball joints, brakes, alignment.

Yes machinery goes bad eventually but its ridiculous all of this stuff thats gone bad at 60k for a car that's not even driven daily.

**** like this makes me want to hang up the towel on the car, or hobby itself.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like your other hobbies are more important to you. Sell the car and invest time/money in some of your other interests then. I'm a car guy. I enjoy building, working on, and driving vehicles whether they be cars, trucks, or motorcycles, so that's what I invest my time in. I don't care about the local car scene. I don't join car clubs or anything, because for me it's not about socializing with people of similar interests. It's for my own personal enjoyment. To me it seems like other interests bring you more enjoyment than your car does.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Don't give up and if you do PM me I night by it.

I got my car last october:

Feb 1st 09 rear and trans went got it back feb 12th
feb 12th trans guy didnt put the converter in right got it back mid march

june 18th got in a accident with it got it back late july
first week in august blew the rear but really was the trans
got it back augst 12th sept 4th blew the motor put the car in the garage and start working on it in october finsh this past sunday and well.... monday I totaled it so remember it can be worse
Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Teching In

I never feel that way. But then again mine is not a daily. If it isnt running right I put it in the garage and carry on. With the lack of car people in your area you should think about the fact that you are the coolest guy there because you have a LS1 car
Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got like that with my cammed and stalled lt1 and sold it before buying my ws6 i missed having a fast good looking car so much. I sold the lt1 and got a ford ranger that was a nice truck but i just wanted a fast car again and traded it in for my 02 ws6 and never looked back!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21

got it back augst 12th sept 4th blew the motor put the car in the garage and start working on it in october finsh this past sunday and well.... monday I totaled it so remember it can be worse

dude...don't share any luck with me..please.........keep it all to yourself!!! LOL
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21

holy ****!! that sucks *** dude! i feel for ya!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

no **** man, that would suck. I guess I can't say much I had my car for a month and the motor blew, i still owed like a little over 10 on it, but insurance paid for most of it and I bought it back. Sometimes I wanna trade it for a truck, cuz I could probably have more fun in a truck around here, but then I like going fast, so idk what i wanna do with it. You need money to go fast, and i do not have that
Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Launching!

move to dallas! i think alot of your woes will disappear, their are a **** ton of lsx shops, a million car enthusiasts, i hear the ricekiller meets are something badass, and i'm sure once you're around all these other lsx'ers and start racing(they have alot of tracks too) you'll get the motivation needed to mod your car, looking at your sig you're damn near stock, once you start to work on your own car putting in the time, money, blood, and sweat, i dont think their will be an attachment issue anymore.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything mechanical is going to need maintenence and repairs.

It's a PITA, I've been there - and said to hell with cars a long time ago to pursue other interests.

I'm back into it now, though.

If your heart's not in it, it sucks. It's o.k. to give it a rest.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

man now that i think about it i'm in the same boat as you (young, in college, wanting to buy a house, other hobbies). i love my car (which is broken right now) but i'll never get back the money i dump into it, and it's not gonna help me get anywhere in life. you can always get another car and if it's just not appealing to you now and you don't think you'd miss it too much, i'd say let her go.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorta there with my Camaro. Yeah it isn't an LS1, it is only a 3800, but every time I think that I've had it and look to replace it, I for some reason fix it again and keep driving it. Maybe I'm just looking for that point that RPM WS6 mentioned, where all the stuff is fixed and it won't break for a long time again. I know the LS1 would be so much better, yet, for some reason, I can't quite bring myself to replace this thing, even though I'm now in a position that I probably could do so...

Somehow, I'll bet that if you do sell it, you'll be like 90% of everyone else here - regret it a little down the road and be looking to buy another one!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

its very simple. Once your honestly a "car" guy and its in your blood, there is no escaping it. Ive put my trans am up for sale 3 times, and everytime within a WEEKS time have taken it back down, because I REALLY dont want to sell it. I love that car! I was going to save and build a 408 for it after it lost a rod here a few months back, guess what, i cant wait that long to drive it. Looking at it every day in the garage without a motor.... I found another heads/cam LS1 and that will be in it for spring time :-) I just cant not drive the car, its driving me insane!!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

My opinion, unless there is a financial situation where it would be better to sell and invest in housing etc, I would move instead of selling the car. You know as well as I do that making your car badass is not enough to satisfy yourself. You have to have a group of hardcore gearhead cheerleaders to say " hey your car is nasty bad " or " I heard your car ran in the 11's". In other words its like catching a huge fish and there is nobody around to see it.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

i sometimes say i could give up on the car, the LSX scene and get another one....then i leave 4000 miles worth of tread at a roll, choke on smoke inside the car park it and....i just cant get rid of her!!! lol