General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What to do...hard decision inside.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do...hard decision inside.

So I am the proud owner of a 87 Buick grand national and a 2001 camaro Z28.

I love both cars, but the time has come where I must choose one.

I can sell the camaro and break even on it with no money to spare and still ahve a somewhat stock GN.

OR I could sell the GN for about 15K, and use all that money on the camaro for a new motor, suspension, paint and body and pretty much make it a VERY nice weekend car.

Its hard for me. What should I do?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough decision for you I am sure....The GN is a much more rare car and if you are looking at it from a value stand point keep it. If you just wanna have fun MOD the **** outta the Camaro and enjoy it. I tend to live for the moment and wouldn't think twice about this one.....
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Teching In

That is a tough decision. Sounds like you have a nice GN. Those cars are not very common anymore and the Camaros are still a dime a dozen and not worth much these days. The flip side is they are cheap and easy to mod for less than a GN I would imagine. So depends on what you want out of the car. You can get parts all day long for the Camaro new and used for a lot less. And I"m guessing the Camaro would be a little more reliable and less high maintenance should you decide to go that route. If you want something collectible and only intend to drive it on occasion I say keep the GN. If you want a fun fast car that you could drive daily or in "Fair Weather" keep the camaro an mod the hell out of it. With proceeds from the sale of the GN you could do a lot to your f-bod. One more thing to think about is which car you truly like the best. I have a similar dilemma in that I bought a nicely modded formula because the price was right and it was already fast and I would have money left over for more mods. I truly wanted a Vette and am convinced I should have waited and got the car I really wanted even if I would have had less mod money left over to work with. Also keep in mind, if you are on the selling end it is a tough market out there. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

keep the GN. you will regret it. These cars are gettng harder to find in good shape. U can always find another F-body later down the road...they are only getting cheaper..
Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Tough decision for you I am sure....The GN is a much more rare car and if you are looking at it from a value stand point keep it. If you just wanna have fun MOD the **** outta the Camaro and enjoy it. I tend to live for the moment and wouldn't think twice about this one.....
Originally Posted by NAZTLT1
That is a tough decision. Sounds like you have a nice GN. Those cars are not very common anymore and the Camaros are still a dime a dozen and not worth much these days. The flip side is they are cheap and easy to mod for less than a GN I would imagine. So depends on what you want out of the car. You can get parts all day long for the Camaro new and used for a lot less. And I"m guessing the Camaro would be a little more reliable and less high maintenance should you decide to go that route. If you want something collectible and only intend to drive it on occasion I say keep the GN. If you want a fun fast car that you could drive daily or in "Fair Weather" keep the camaro an mod the hell out of it. With proceeds from the sale of the GN you could do a lot to your f-bod. One more thing to think about is which car you truly like the best. I have a similar dilemma in that I bought a nicely modded formula because the price was right and it was already fast and I would have money left over for more mods. I truly wanted a Vette and am convinced I should have waited and got the car I really wanted even if I would have had less mod money left over to work with. Also keep in mind, if you are on the selling end it is a tough market out there. Good luck with your decision.

That is exactly the problem I am running into.

The GN is chery, I paid almost nothing for it and I love it.

However, I love the LS1 and have big plans for the camaro that include a color change and a boosted LS2.

so Im stuck.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought GN were worth more than $15k?

I'd take it over a 4th gen camaro anyday. It would be a harder choice for me if it were between that and a trans am though
Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Keep the Grand National imo.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Keep the GN you can always come upon a camaro later on in the future
Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sell the camaro
Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 AM
11 Second Club

Keep the Natty!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This ones an easy choice.

Darth Vader is WAY cooler than the catfish.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Which car right now is more fun to drive? I say keep which ever one puts a bigger smile on your face when you hammer the throttle.

Side note, you say the Camaro requires paint, if it's "rough" meaning beat interior or exterior, has high miles or is a regular Z28, I'd sell it instantly also maybe selling the GN and buying a nicer 4th gen as a better starting point.

Something else to thinkg about it is say you sell them both netting maybe $25,000. Think what you could build with that? Would make a nice start on a pro-toured LS powered 67-73 Camaro
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boost-box
So I am the proud owner of a 87 Buick grand national and a 2001 camaro Z28.

I love both cars, but the time has come where I must choose one.

I can sell the camaro and break even on it with no money to spare and still ahve a somewhat stock GN.

OR I could sell the GN for about 15K, and use all that money on the camaro for a new motor, suspension, paint and body and pretty much make it a VERY nice weekend car.

Its hard for me. What should I do?
Why do you have to chose one, specifically when you're just going to potentially dump all the money profited from selling the GN into the other car in the first place?

Anyways, I'd say sell the Camaro. The GN is much harder to come by, and if the time comes you want another car again, getting a LS1 Camaro will be much easier.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

didn't read the posts above, but if you'd be putting all the GN money into the camaro, why do you have to sell it? just too many cars?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my F bodys...but i would keep the GN due to the fact that it is a lot more rare than an LS1 camaro..and if you planned on doing paint, body, ls2 swap etc.etc.. you might be better served buying a roller with good paint/int and then building it yourself.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep the GN without question. I love my F body, but they are plentiful and cheap now, GN's not so much.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you sell the GN you'll spend a lifetime and a fortune trying to get another one as good as yours, and we all know 99% of people who sell their machines end up trying to get them back later on. Selling the Camaro isn't a pretty proposition either but in the long run...well you know...
Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eseibel67
This ones an easy choice.

Darth Vader is WAY cooler than the catfish.

LOL _ _ _ _ True though.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd sell both and get a vette...
Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Keep the GN, sell the Camaro.