General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is best?

I'm getting a new muffler for my trans am very soon. I would like to know what everyone thinks sounds the best. The guy that owned the car before me took the muffler off and ran a 3 inch pipe where the muff is. So I want some thing that sounds good.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default maganaflow catback

I have a brand new unopened maganaflow catback system for sale. All stainless,polished muffler and 4" quad tips. Let me know.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIU9GFgb7k
Attached Thumbnails Which is best?-16723m.jpg   Which is best?-img_2132.jpg  

Last edited by JOHNNY59; 03-10-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think GMMG sounds the best.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Any links. And nice to see someone local
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you want just a muffler or a catback? just a muffler i'd try finding a magnaflow, not too expensive
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have a cam, heads, tubes? all these things play a role in sound. also, do you want to be loud and obnoxious, raspy, or are you looking for a deep classic tone?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
Do you have a cam, heads, tubes? all these things play a role in sound. also, do you want to be loud and obnoxious, raspy, or are you looking for a deep classic tone?

I agree with this guy. What are your plans or do you mind changing out again later after other mods. Ex. LM's sound GREAT with stock manifolds, get a little raspy and loud with headers and sound like **** with a cam thrown in. A few people like that setup but not many so your taste plays a role too.. GMMG (which I don't think you can get anymore) is SWEET with a stock motor but gets overbearing with mods IMO..... My Hooker was MILD stock but now there are times I wish it was quieter with mods.... Hell I had a girl who asked me to drive my truck when I picked her up cause she didn't like everbody staring at stoplights
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I plan on a turbo system. But for now it is stock. I'm looking for something that sounds great. I've had loud and obnoxious cars. I'm looking for something loud but not enough to get a ticket. And I don't mind changing it out later.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lilsbc
I plan on a turbo system. But for now it is stock. I'm looking for something that sounds great. I've had loud and obnoxious cars. I'm looking for something loud but not enough to get a ticket. And I don't mind changing it out later.
MagnaFlow or Hooker Areochamber then IMO. MagnaFlow has the old school sound and Hooker has an almost exotic sound to it. Hard to explain. And both flow GREAT!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I'm very happy with the sound of a Bassani Street Competition muffler on my mostly-stock '98 Z. I have the full catback. It's a deeper tone than any other catback I've heard other than GMMG. Actually, it's nearly the same tone-wise as GMMG but with less volume.

If/when I have a true dual system built for my next project LS1 car, I'll be using 5" round Magnaflow mufflers. These sound great with no cats and headers.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lilsbc
I'd go with a Flowmaster. Everyone says they're restrictive, but I love mine. Sounds sexy, was fairly cheap and it's not loud at idle.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I agree with this guy. What are your plans or do you mind changing out again later after other mods. Ex. LM's sound GREAT with stock manifolds, get a little raspy and loud with headers and sound like **** with a cam thrown in. A few people like that setup but not many so your taste plays a role too.. GMMG (which I don't think you can get anymore) is SWEET with a stock motor but gets overbearing with mods IMO..... My Hooker was MILD stock but now there are times I wish it was quieter with mods.... Hell I had a girl who asked me to drive my truck when I picked her up cause she didn't like everbody staring at stoplights
You can actually get the GMMG exhaust from Venegence Racing they sell them now. I think someone had one in the classifieds for sale a day or two ago. An if girl didn't want to ride in the F-body I would have kicked her to the curb like she was nobody. lol

To lilsbc: If you don't want to spend the high dollar for a catback then you may want to look at Hooker Aerochamber or Magnaflow. The LM gets different views some like it and some hate it. When I had it on my T/A a long time ago, I loved it when I first got it but then when it had all of that rasp and drone I started hating it really quick.

Originally Posted by skopers3
I'd go with a Flowmaster. Everyone says they're restrictive, but I love mine. Sounds sexy, was fairly cheap and it's not loud at idle.
I can't believe someone had to put the slowmaster in it. I'm glad you like it though. Everyone has to be different right.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
I can't believe someone had to put the slowmaster in it. I'm glad you like it though. Everyone has to be different right.
LOL! I have a Flowmaster on my '02 car. I just needed a replacement muffer since the stock one fell apart and was rattling badly. Flowmaster is affordable and sounds nice; and I wasn't really looking for max power on this car.

It's true that their crossflow (F-body) style mufflers don't seem to flow as good as other brands. Flowmaster race series mufflers seem to flow fine though, and I'm also very happy with their traditional 40-series non-crossflow mufflers on my old Nova.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
LOL! I have a Flowmaster on my '02 car. I just needed a replacement muffer since the stock one fell apart and was rattling badly. Flowmaster is affordable and sounds nice; and I wasn't really looking for max power on this car.

It's true that their crossflow (F-body) style mufflers don't seem to flow as good as other brands. Flowmaster race series mufflers seem to flow fine though, and I'm also very happy with their traditional 40-series non-crossflow mufflers on my old Nova.
Hey, as long as it sounds good. What's 5 or 10hp? That's what's most important, that's the main reason most people change it anyway.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

I guess I could have told you guys that the car had a slp catback on it but the guy that owned it took it off so I just need a muffler for now. I'm leaning toward the aerochamber.

Now is there are good/ bad side to taking off the cats. Power increase decrease computer problems?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I don't think it's worth the 5 or 10 hp you might gain to remove the cats. Unless you're building an all out race car, just leave them on.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
MagnaFlow or Hooker Areochamber then IMO. MagnaFlow has the old school sound and Hooker has an almost exotic sound to it. Hard to explain. And both flow GREAT!!
^^^ This I run Magnaflow sounds and performes really well
Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Magnaflow is good.. TD's owns all on sound though..
Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Go with true duals. Their sound is uncomparable!